Good books to read
Oct 14, 2004 at 5:38 AM Post #16 of 30
1984(orwell) is an out standing book, both in the political and fictional sense.

Oct 14, 2004 at 6:11 AM Post #17 of 30
Strangely, despite my near-contempt for the language, my two favorite non-fiction books are both French in origin: Les Misérables and The Count of Monte Cristo.

Others? If you've got a sense of humor and any interest at all in sci-fi (the latter is almost optional, actually), Douglas Adam's works, especially the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Trilogy (of five books) is a must-read.

~KS

Oct 14, 2004 at 6:33 AM Post #18 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by skiingemt
Holy cow! That's a long sitting!

Yes, it was
biggrin.gif

Oct 15, 2004 at 3:39 AM Post #19 of 30
There's really two Ender's series:

Ender's Game
Speaker for the Dead
Xenocide
Children of the Mind

...and what I've been calling The Bean Books:

Ender's Shadow
Shadow of the Hegemon
Shadow Puppets
...I'm not sure this one's finished.

He's also written some wonderful stand-alone books: Enchantment, Songmaster, and Wyrms are three that come to mind.

Tortie -- I read Ender's Game in one day -- not exactly one sitting, but yes, it was riveting.

As mentioned in another thread, I've been loving the Otherland series by Tad Williams. Quote:

Originally Posted by Megaptera
And some non-fiction:
Neil Gaiman: American Gods
Neal Stephenson: Cryptonomicon

I think you meant fiction (at least for those two -- which I can also recommend).

Oct 15, 2004 at 3:45 AM Post #20 of 30
Philip Roth: The Plot Against America (a fictional account of the election of Charles Lindberg as president prior to WWII)

Oct 15, 2004 at 4:09 AM Post #21 of 30
This thread is sort of pointless as the thread-originator did not indicate what he wants to read. A lot of people suggest really good serious books and lots of people also suggest some sort of science fiction/romance/detective BS reading (not that there is anything wrong with it within limits, but it's completely different thing).

I'm not gonna advice on BS reading, there is more than enough of that. However, I would strongly suggest Bulgakov's Master and Margarita, that's one of the best books I've ever read. There are other books of similar magnitute and masterpiece, but this one really stands out, it's truly unique. IMHO everyone should read it.

Oct 15, 2004 at 4:17 AM Post #23 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dusty Chalk
There's really two Ender's series:

Ender's Game
Speaker for the Dead
Xenocide
Children of the Mind

...and what I've been calling The Bean Books:

Ender's Shadow
Shadow of the Hegemon
Shadow Puppets
...I'm not sure this one's finished.

He's also written some wonderful stand-alone books: Enchantment, Songmaster, and Wyrms are three that come to mind.

Tortie -- I read Ender's Game in one day -- not exactly one sitting, but yes, it was riveting.

As mentioned in another thread, I've been loving the Otherland series by Tad Williams.I think you meant fiction (at least for those two -- which I can also recommend).

The second half of the card books is actually referred to as the "Shadow" series.

Another cheer for song of fire and ice by George R.R. Martin. Kick Ass.

Oct 15, 2004 at 5:03 AM Post #24 of 30
One of the best-written books I've ever read: "Cry the Beloved Country" by Alan Paton.
The other best-written book I've ever read is "A Passage to India" by E.M. Forster.
Anyone who's ever been hunting or fishing should read "The Old Man and the Boy" by Robert Ruark.
You can call me anything you like, but I actually really like "Moby Dick."
Best wierd sci-fi "Number of the Beast" by Robert Heinlen.
Book I always come back to when I need something easy and comfortable: "The Blue Sword" by Robin McKinley.
I also feel compelled to add "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" by Robert M. Pirsig.

Oct 15, 2004 at 6:11 AM Post #25 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by ooheadsoo
The second half of the card books is actually referred to as the "Shadow" series.

First of all, that's why I qualified it with, "...what I've been calling..."

Secondly, Bean Books contains alliteration, and is therefore more fun to say.

Oct 15, 2004 at 6:21 AM Post #26 of 30
I wish there were more of Bean than in just Ender's Shadow. That deserves at least another book.

Awesome alliteration
smily_headphones1.gif
Brings back fond memories of my favorite alliterative phrase I read in recent memory, "Cockroach Crunch."
smily_headphones1.gif
Meant in a complimentary fashion, of course.
tongue.gif

Oct 15, 2004 at 6:45 AM Post #27 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by ooheadsoo
I wish there were more of Bean than in just Ender's Shadow. That deserves at least another book.

I concur!

Oct 15, 2004 at 12:19 PM Post #28 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by jnewman
Anyone who's ever been hunting or fishing should read "The Old Man and the Boy" by Robert Ruark.
Book I always come back to when I need something easy and comfortable: "The Blue Sword" by Robin McKinley.
I also feel compelled to add "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" by Robert M. Pirsig.

Three of my favorites! I also have to mention Deerskin by Robin Mckinley, which is excellent.

G

Oct 15, 2004 at 4:24 PM Post #29 of 30
not new but a book i highly recommend "Bury My Heart At Wounded Knee" by Dee Brown.I read this years ago and it left such an impression on me i still picture scenes from the book in my mind to this day when the topic of the American Indian comes up.

a real eye opener.......

something off beat and a bit different-anything by Phillip K. Dick,Asimov's Robot series,Terry Brooks -any

Oct 15, 2004 at 8:15 PM Post #30 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dusty Chalk

Yup
biggrin.gif
It was one of the best books that I have ever read. Recommended for all science fiction buffs
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back