Good books to read
Oct 13, 2004 at 11:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

amol

500+ Head-Fier
Post some of the books you read and you think were completely worth the time they took. I want to get into something new, and worthwhile reading.

I basically like to read everything excluding religion. Spiritualism is a different thing though.

Oct 13, 2004 at 11:47 AM Post #2 of 30
Oct 13, 2004 at 7:19 PM Post #3 of 30
I've been reading Philip Dick lately. Good stuff, his current popularity is well deserved.

Oct 13, 2004 at 7:27 PM Post #4 of 30
If you like science fiction, look for Ender's game. Good read, i finished it in one sitting
biggrin.gif

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...07135?v=glance

Oct 13, 2004 at 9:10 PM Post #5 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by daycart1
I've been reading Philip Dick lately. Good stuff, his current popularity is well deserved.

PKD for LIFE!!!

anyways:
Yasunari Kawabata "snow country"
Jorge Luis Borges "Ficciones"
Gao Xingjian "soul mountain"
Salman Rushdie "shame"
Erskine Childers "riddle of the sands"
J.M. Coetzee "Master of Petersburg"
Honore De Balzac "Lost Illusions"
Franz Kafka "the trial"
Chris Ware "Jimmy Corrigan: the smartest boy on earth"
etc etc

Oct 13, 2004 at 9:18 PM Post #7 of 30
Best book I've read in a LONG time: Aztec by Gary Jennings.

I'm currently reading The Journeyer also by Jennings which is supposed to be as good or better.

Oct 13, 2004 at 9:54 PM Post #8 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by tortie
If you like science fiction, look for Ender's game. Good read, i finished it in one sitting
biggrin.gif

Holy cow! That's a long sitting! Maybe I'm just a slow reader. Ender's Shadow was also very good. Also, Way of the Peaceful Warrior by Dan Millman, The Dark Tower series by Stephen King, and everything by J. D. Salinger.

Oct 13, 2004 at 10:19 PM Post #9 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by daycart1

I always wanted to read the Ender's series, I heard it was really good. I'll go buy them next time I'm at B&N.

I just finished reading the first three Artemis Fowl books. They might be considered children's books, but I still loved them.
tongue.gif

Waiting for the next Harry Potter to come out....
rolleyes.gif

Oct 13, 2004 at 10:48 PM Post #10 of 30
I read a lot of science/natural history non-fiction. A few quick recommendations:

Bill Bryson: A Short History of Nearly Everything
Richard Ellis: The Search for the Giant Squid
Richard Fortey: Trilobites!

And some fiction:
Neil Gaiman: American Gods
Neal Stephenson: Cryptonomicon
Patrick O'Brian: Master and Commander (read that one and you'll be hooked -- but it's a 20 book series, so beware
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Oct 14, 2004 at 1:38 AM Post #11 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Megaptera
I read a lot of science natural history non-fiction. A few quick recommendations:
Neil Gaiman: American Gods
Neal Stephenson: Cryptonomicon
Patrick O'Brian: Master and Commander (read that one and you'll be hooked -- but it's a 20 book series, so beware
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Whoh, I recently read -American Gods- and found it very entertaining. And just today I was looking for Neal Stephenson in used book stores (no luck.).
etysmile.gif

Oct 14, 2004 at 4:32 AM Post #15 of 30
Ender's Shadow is quite good, I liked it better than Ender's Game, Bean is a much more interesting character.

I'm also reading a song of ice and fire series, recommended by several members on this board, currently near the end of book 2. I hope book 4 comes out by the time I get past 3
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back