Good bass + comfortable headphone suggestions?
Sep 19, 2011 at 5:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

hananotbanana

New Head-Fier
Recently, I've been looking for better headphones to replace my Skullcandy Hesh that I've had for about 2 years now.

I'm looking for something with:

needed:
-good bass(better than skullcandy)
-comfortable when worn with glasses
-STURDY (my crappy ones have broken twice, replaced them the first time, held together with electrical tape this time for about 8 months)
-$45 or under, not including shipping (less if possible)
-can be shipped to Alaska
-closed-back

wanted:
-in-line volume control
-single-side exit cable (preferably left)
-sold by Amazon
-looks nice

I've looked at a few pairs, but I need second opinions form people who have used them for months not days.

I'm interested in:
-Audio-technica ATH-M30
-Seinheiser 202 II
-Sony MDR-XD200
-Panasonic RP-HTX7
-JVC HARX700
-Sony MDR-XB500

Thanks in advance for the help :)

edit: also, if you have other suggestions that you feel would be better, I'm open to those, too

Sep 19, 2011 at 6:01 AM Post #2 of 5

Quote:
needed:
-good bass(better than skullcandy)
-comfortable when worn with glasses
-STURDY (my crappy ones have broken twice, replaced them the first time, held together with electrical tape this time for about 8 months)
-$45 or under, not including shipping (less if possible)
-can be shipped to Alaska
-closed-back

wanted:
-in-line volume control
-single-side exit cable (preferably left)
-sold by Amazon
-looks nice

Sony XB500.

- Miles better bass than any Skullcandy not Aviators (or Mixmaster)
- Comfortable? Heck, they have PILLOWS for pads.
- It's kinda sturdy, but the headband and pad material are known to wear off pretty easily. Won't break though.
- Yup, it's closed.

Unfortunately they ain't gonna fulfill the rest of your "wants" ('cept for that Amazon availability).

Sep 19, 2011 at 8:53 AM Post #4 of 5
Heya,

Panasonic RP-HTF600. Bass is comparable with XB500 (XB500 has slightly more mid-bass hump). Comfortable, and I wear them with glasses. They're built pretty rugged (XB500's are actually kind of flimsy). Inexpensive, but they don't sound it. Closed back, good sound stage. Brushed aluminum backs, kinda nice. The sound signature is warm, lush, musical and full bodied with generous mids and very smooth highs, it's a great pleasure listening headphone. It's actually strikingly similar sounding to the XB500 when you equalize the XB500's highs & mids to come up a few dB. I bought two so I could share one around often because it really is just that impressive of a headphone, and I completely disregard it's price tag as it just doesn't define anything about this particular headphone.

Here's what they look like:

Give it a shot. You may just be completely surprised how fun and musical this headphone is.

Very best,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back