Good Audio Equipment Magazines?
Mar 13, 2006 at 5:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

The Monkey

Monkey See, Monkey DAC
A really sick dud
I would appreciate your thoughts on the audio equipment mags out there. Which ones do you like.

I would like to try out What Hi Fi but it is $150 for a US subscription!

Mar 13, 2006 at 5:57 AM Post #2 of 29
i raid all of them since i have a bookstore just a few blocks from me and i read them shamelessly while "browsing."
evil_smiley.gif
but if i had to get a subscription, Stereophile is a dirt cheap one.

Mar 13, 2006 at 8:06 PM Post #5 of 29
It's quite old-fashioned in some respects and doubtless expensive in NYC, but I highly recommend the solid, home-spun enthusiasm of the UK's Hi-Fi News. They are one of the very oldest British enthusiast magazines -- their Stereophile. Ken Kessler is a hoot. Entertaining and quite neat.

http://www.hifinews.co.uk/content/news.htm

Mar 13, 2006 at 11:35 PM Post #6 of 29
I read HiFi+ along with Stereophile and The Absolute Sound for a long time while in Japan. Probably why I ended up getting the Chord DAC64/Blu.

But no thread on audio mags should be without a reference to Stereo Sound, a Japanese audiophile mag. Even if you can't read it, holy cow, no audio mag does gear pr*n better. Puts all my photos of gear to absolute shame.

Hmm, this month's cover isn't that impressive. But check out this pict from their sister mag, Tube Kingdom.

TK.jpg

Seriously. Those Japanese know their pr*n!

Best,

-Jason

Mar 14, 2006 at 1:40 AM Post #9 of 29
Just remember to take them all with a grain of salt (especially stereophile), as a lot of what they say is clearly biased (just read the stuff on high-endaudio.com if you think I'm just paranoid).
tongue.gif

Jason, where can I get a subscription to that?
biggrin.gif

Mar 14, 2006 at 4:02 AM Post #10 of 29
I really like absolute sound, it has a lot of neat ads of all these pretty components I cant afford.

But I live vicariously through the ads in the magazine.
Some of the toys in there look so freakin nice. Im serious, I enjoy oggling at the fancy tube amps and speakers that resemble modern art.

Mar 14, 2006 at 8:31 AM Post #11 of 29
I stopped reading What Hi-Fi, but still read Hi-Fi News and Hi-Fi Choice. Quote:

Originally Posted by jjcha
But no thread on audio mags should be without a reference to Stereo Sound, a Japanese audiophile mag...

I don't know -- have you seen MJ Audio? I used to buy that just for the pictures, as well.

But then, they do take pictures well -- case in point, the celebrity/film magazines have equally luscious pictures.

Mar 15, 2006 at 8:55 AM Post #12 of 29
I really enjoy HiFi+, especially the reviews of all the ultra-expensive kit that I'll never see or hear much less afford to buy. The local newsagent (there's only one here) gets two copies of each issue and I watch for it so I don't miss out.

Mar 15, 2006 at 1:33 PM Post #13 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by SomeoneElse
I really enjoy HiFi+, especially the reviews of all the ultra-expensive kit that I'll never see or hear much less afford to buy. The local newsagent (there's only one here) gets two copies of each issue and I watch for it so I don't miss out.

I thumbed through an issue of HiFi+ yesterday, very cool. I think they were just purchased by The Absolute Sound.

Mar 15, 2006 at 1:36 PM Post #14 of 29
I love hi-fi+, great pics and very interesting reviews. Plus, the ads in there are even interesting. I also subscribe to stereophile but rarely read an issue.

Mar 15, 2006 at 1:41 PM Post #15 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by catachresis
It's quite old-fashioned in some respects and doubtless expensive in NYC, but I highly recommend the solid, home-spun enthusiasm of the UK's Hi-Fi News. They are one of the very oldest British enthusiast magazines -- their Stereophile. Ken Kessler is a hoot. Entertaining and quite neat.

http://www.hifinews.co.uk/content/news.htm

The news on the front page ("BFA warns portable digital audio") is interesting, but I thought it was a joke at first... I wish they'd focus their energy on the record labels and overcompression/hot recordings rather than the behavior of consumers. The problem starts with the labels IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back