Good amp (w/ or w/o DAC) for Grado SR325e and FLC 8S
Nov 29, 2018 at 9:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

TheRock99

Head-Fier
Hello,

as a gift to be made during the Christmas period I would buy my first headphone amplifier (alone or even with a DAC) for my equipment to use at home.

I have a budget of about $ 200 (even between used). Among the products that seemed most interesting I found:

- Little Dot MKII

- JDS Labs O2

- Schiit Modi 3 + Magni 3

My current equipment consists in a pair of Grado’s SR325e and FLC 8S earphones and my source is a A&K AK70 MKII.
I listen mainly to Metal but also to Rock.

Which of these (or propose others) would be better matched with my equipment and my type of music?

Thanks,
Elia

Dec 1, 2018 at 4:25 PM Post #4 of 7
Hi. I have a pair of 325i's and a TTVJ slim dac/amp. I don't think there's much of a difference
between the sound quality from the headphone out on my laptop and from the dac/amp.

I've heard good things about 325i's with Little Dot, but haven't tried it myself.

From a better amp, like Questyle cma400i, I get better sound quality. But I wouldn't spend a lot
of money on an amplifier for these headphones. I think it'd be better to upgrade the headphones.

Dec 2, 2018 at 12:41 PM Post #5 of 7
Hi. I have a pair of 325i's and a TTVJ slim dac/amp. I don't think there's much of a difference
between the sound quality from the headphone out on my laptop and from the dac/amp.

I've heard good things about 325i's with Little Dot, but haven't tried it myself.

From a better amp, like Questyle cma400i, I get better sound quality. But I wouldn't spend a lot
of money on an amplifier for these headphones. I think it'd be better to upgrade the headphones.

Very explanatory answer, thank you :)

Dec 2, 2018 at 12:47 PM Post #6 of 7
I would suggest saving a bit more and trying to find a used Audio GD R2R-11,which is an amp/DAC combo.
I have no experience with your earphones,but I found the R2R-11 inherent warmth a very good match with the peaky Grado line. It added some thump and a more rich sound to them.

Dec 3, 2018 at 6:15 AM Post #7 of 7
I would suggest saving a bit more and trying to find a used Audio GD R2R-11,which is an amp/DAC combo.
I have no experience with your earphones,but I found the R2R-11 inherent warmth a very good match with the peaky Grado line. It added some thump and a more rich sound to them.

Thanks for your answer :wink:
So I will wait for saving a bit money for a better amp/DAC combination.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back