Good amp that goes around $150 ?
Jul 28, 2002 at 2:29 PM Post #3 of 34
Quote:

Originally posted by CRESCENDOPOWER
You will probably get a million other responses that are the same.

Well, here's number two! Do a search for "META42" and you'll find a wealth of info.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 28, 2002 at 6:40 PM Post #4 of 34
Quote:

Originally posted by Guyferd
I'm planning to get an amp..
will hook it to my beyer dt250-80
which is the best for around $150 price range? I'm willing to spend slightly more if someone is able to convince me..

thanks

Hi Guyferd

Try this link. Hope it works !

After that I decided for a Meta 42

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showth...&highlight=Ari

Jul 29, 2002 at 5:59 AM Post #5 of 34
I can't comment on Meta42 since I haven't heard it. I have a Creek OBH-11 and I'm very happy with it.

Reading through various forums, I've noticed that many people are recommending the Meta42 amp without having heard it themselves. They're giving recommendations solely based on what they've read and heard second hand. So, the Meta 42 phenomenon becomes sort of self-perpetuating hype. I'm not saying that Meta 42 is a bad amp, I simply don't know since I haven't heard it myself. However, I would be weary of purchasing one blindly since it's an amp made by some guy in his basement, rather than a well established company.

Jul 29, 2002 at 6:42 AM Post #6 of 34
I'm auditioning a META42 on loan now. I have also heard the Creek. The META42 far outclasses the Creek.

Jul 29, 2002 at 7:17 PM Post #7 of 34

Fellow Guyferd.

bifcake is right. I just ordered a Meta42 and never heard it. In fact, this will be my first amp.

BUT, my decision was made in reading (I read better than I write...)

And I do think it’s fine because I'm starting as you do. And that's what this forum is for... If you could listen (TEST) every thing, you wouldn’t ask for an opinion here!

Forums are a strong way to make right decisions. So, go ahead and by a META 42 your self and enjoy this new world of pleasure!!

By the way, about basements, Microsoft started at Mr. Gate’s garage...
wink.gif

Jul 29, 2002 at 8:08 PM Post #8 of 34
Well, if anyone wants to send me a Meta42, I'll be sure to write a complete and unbiased review. And since MY opinions are the only ones that count, all of you will be get one definitive paper to use as a reference.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 29, 2002 at 9:02 PM Post #9 of 34
At the SLC Headroom show I thought the META42 smashed the Creek into tiny little bits. Built well with the nicer parts (as was the one I tried) it will compete with anything around $500 and perhaps higher. I'll eventually build an AC powered one with nicer parts, but for now I'm building a battery powered one with only nice parts.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 30, 2002 at 7:57 AM Post #10 of 34
Originally posted by Ari
Quote:

Fellow Guyferd.

bifcake is right. I just ordered a Meta42 and never heard it. In fact, this will be my first amp.

BUT, my decision was made in reading (I read better than I write...)

Forums are a strong way to make right decisions. So, go ahead and by a META 42 your self and enjoy this new world of pleasure!!

By the way, about basements, Microsoft started at Mr. Gate’s garage...
wink.gif

I don't think you understood me. I never said that reading various opinions and perhaps sometimes buying blindly based on recommendations in this and other forums is a bad thing. My objections concern people RECOMMENDING products to others without having heard them first hand.

Since many products are available exclusively through mail order shops (e.g. Meta42), it's often impossible to auditions the products prior to purchasing (unless there's a grace period). So, sometimes one just has to take a plunge and bite the bullet. However, buying a product blindly for yourself and RECOMMENDING a product you haven't heard is quite different.

I want to make it clear that I don't think Meta 42 is a bad amp. I haven't heard it, so I can't form an opinion. I'd just be a bit weary of the hype generated by overly enthusiastic folks who are repeating other's point of view and presenting these views as their own.

Re: Microsoft originating in the basement, look at what wonderful products Microsoft makes. I meant that facetiously.

Jul 30, 2002 at 8:03 AM Post #11 of 34
I got a chance to listen to Audio & Me's META42 at the Boston show, and I can say that it held up very well to the Headroom Cosmic from Tyll's rig. I was listening on HD 580's, mostly jazz music, from a Pana 570.

Jul 30, 2002 at 3:43 PM Post #13 of 34
I hooked up my in-progress META42 last night for testing before I do the final soldering of the panel mount stuff. I stuck all the wires in their proper holes, hooked it up to my SlimX, plugged in my HD600s (after measuring for DC offset of course!) and gave it a whirl. The sound was amazing. This is a fully portable version running off 9V with the AD823 opamp, so it is not nearly as nice as the one I listened to at the Headroom show. Even so, the detail, especially in the bass, was on another level compared to my other two DIY amps that use Burr-Brown opamps. The sound was nearly at the level of the Corda, not quite as fast or refined in the highs, buy very detailed and articulate. And this is just a basic version, $60 in parts, nothing exotic or pricey. It's definitely not hype.

Jul 30, 2002 at 5:39 PM Post #15 of 34
Quote:

I would be weary of purchasing one blindly since it's an amp made by some guy in his basement, rather than a well established company.

I resent that insinuation, because it's simply NOT TRUE: I don't have a basement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back