Good amp for UM2 redwine Ipod source combo
Mar 10, 2006 at 10:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

velvetsteele

New Head-Fier
I am putting together a portable system with these components. Looking for a portable amp/ opamp that would work well with them- synergy.
Looking not to spend over 300-350 at most as need to keep costs reasonable.
I also prefer one that is light and portable and battery powered.
Thanks for comments/suggestions- hopefully someone has tried a combination of these or similar components...

Mar 11, 2006 at 12:34 AM Post #3 of 6
I hate to give un-founded advice, but I have just been researching this very same combo. From all the things I've read here, the best synergy for the UM2 seems to be with either the Ray Samuels SR-71 or Hornet.

Just a tip to try before going headfirst into that kind of purchase: if you have a line-out such as the Pocketdock or Sik Din to go with your iPod, get a $5 in-line attenuator (volume control) from Radio Shack and plug that into the line-out. Then plug the UM2s into that and see what you think.

I have this exact setup right now with my EQ set to "Treble Boost" and I find it pretty great! The headphone out now sounds muddy in comparison. I'm amazed at how well this little "make-shift" setup sounds. -CK

Mar 11, 2006 at 5:34 AM Post #4 of 6
Thanks for the feedback but a key point is that I am going from the modified headphone out and according to redWine audio -requires an amp as it is no longer is functioning as headphone out. I suppose I could try the volume attenuator but honestly that seems a little silly in light of $ spent on the mod
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back