good amp for the ultrasone pro 550?
Feb 4, 2013 at 6:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

ihatedogs

New Head-Fier
Hey i have just received the pro 550 headphones and i am looking for a amp.

I am willing to spend around 50-100 on the amp it will be mainly used indoors so i dont really care about portability. i am mainly looking for an amp to boost the bass, im not a basshead but i do like thumpy bass in songs. also in the future if i do upgrade my cans to pro 900 i would like the amp to be able to support a high end pair of headphones.

Feb 4, 2013 at 8:23 PM Post #2 of 10
Quote:
Hey i have just received the pro 550 headphones and i am looking for a amp.
I am willing to spend around 50-100 on the amp it will be mainly used indoors so i don't really care about portability. i am mainly looking for an amp to boost the bass, I'm not a basshead but i do like thumpy bass in songs. also in the future if i do upgrade my cans to pro 900 i would like the amp to be able to support a high end pair of headphones.

What sources are you going to be plugging the headphones and amplifier into?

Feb 5, 2013 at 9:12 AM Post #3 of 10
Quote:
What sources are you going to be plugging the headphones and amplifier into?

i currently have the xonar ds soundcard and i have the htc desire HD for my phone/mp3.

ill probably upgrade my PC soon so i will use a different soundcard. im mainly looking for a bass boost for the pro 550.

i would be happy to spend more for an amp so i dont have to purchase a sound card in the future

thanks

Feb 5, 2013 at 9:41 AM Post #4 of 10
Quote:
i currently have the xonar ds soundcard and i have the htc desire HD for my phone/mp3.
ill probably upgrade my PC soon so i will use a different soundcard. im mainly looking for a bass boost for the pro 550.
i would be happy to spend more for an amp so i dont have to purchase a sound card in the future

By chance do the headphones sound better plugged into the HTC Desire?

Feb 5, 2013 at 6:02 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:
Well the headphones are arriving in 2 days.
But I have the Senns hd555 and yes they sound ALOT better in my phone than my sound card which is strange.Tthe DS sound card should have a better DAC chip then your phone's DAC chip.......but.

Chance are (like 99%) the Xonar DS's DAC is better then your cell phone DAC
The Xonar DS does not comes with a headphone amplifier and chances are it's line-out/headphone jack has a high impedance :frowning2:
Where as your phone should have at least a basic headphone amplifier and a much lower headphone output impedance:)
So adding an external headphone amplifier to your Xonar DS should improve the audio quality of whatever headphone your using with the Xonar DS.
The PAV2V headphone amplifier ($70) should be able to work with the Xonar DS and your cell phone.
There is also the Fiio E11 & E12, but they can't function while their battery is being recharged.
There are also cMoy headphone amps.

Feb 7, 2013 at 7:19 AM Post #7 of 10
Quote:
Chance are (like 99%) the Xonar DS's DAC is better then your cell phone DAC
The Xonar DS does not comes with a headphone amplifier and chances are it's line-out/headphone jack has a high impedance :frowning2:
Where as your phone should have at least a basic headphone amplifier and a much lower headphone output impedance:)
So adding an external headphone amplifier to your Xonar DS should improve the audio quality of whatever headphone your using with the Xonar DS.
The PAV2V headphone amplifier ($70) should be able to work with the Xonar DS and your cell phone.
There is also the Fiio E11 & E12, but they can't function while their battery is being recharged.
There are also cMoy headphone amps.

Hey funny story the pro 550 came today but i have returned them and i bought a 2nd hand pair of pro 900 from ebay at a great price. i cant seem to find the PAV2V on the UK amazon but i might look into the fiio E11 because it is a good price. is their much difference on sound quality between a portable e11 and a big desktop amp for around the same price of £50? i was just wondering because i rarely go out with headphones so it might be more beneficial for the amp to be bigger if the sound it puts out is better.

Feb 7, 2013 at 10:46 AM Post #8 of 10
Quote:
Hey funny story the pro 550 came today but i have returned them and i bought a 2nd hand pair of pro 900 from eBay at a great price. i cant seem to find the PAV2V on the UK amazon but i might look into the fiio E11 because it is a good price. is their much difference on sound quality between a portable e11 and a big desktop amp for around the same price of £50? i was just wondering because i rarely go out with headphones so it might be more beneficial for the amp to be bigger if the sound it puts out is better.

The Ultrasone Pro 900 is only 40-Ohms. so I'm assuming they are easy to drive.
So it really would not improve the audio quality with a more "powerful" amplifier.

The PAV2V is sold on eBay.
The newer Fiio E12 might hold a charge longer then the E11.

Feb 7, 2013 at 11:17 AM Post #9 of 10
Quote:
So it really would not improve the audio quality with a more "powerful" amplifier.

The PAV2V is sold on eBay.
The newer Fiio E12 might hold a charge longer then the E11.

im on ebay at the moment looking at some 2nd hand fiio e11, usually they sell for around £30 2nd hand so i will probably purchase that in the next couple of days.
thanks for your help

Feb 7, 2013 at 3:15 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

The Pro900 is source sensitive, a good dac would be alright. Some folks even recommend aftermarket cables. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back