Good amp for K701s
Mar 9, 2006 at 5:44 AM Post #16 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Metaphysical
i think im finally gonna take the plunge and buy a set of k701s soon, what would be a good amp to compliment these cans? i dont think a cmoy would be sufficient would it? i have been looking at the little dot amps, how do they sound with k701s? i dont want to spend an arm and a leg.

the portaphile also sounds great with k701, if portability is of any interest, plus its the cheapest of all the suggestions so far.
biggrin.gif

Mar 9, 2006 at 5:25 PM Post #17 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by mazersteven
Question--What $400 Speakers do you have?

I agree that there is no substitute for a well put together HT system with proper placement of speakers, & an awesome sub like SVS. You also get involved physically from your sub.

But what headphones bring to the table is what many people do not have. A "Properly Acoustically Correct Listening Environment", with perfect speakers placement, with detail, imaging, and soundfield. Headphone eliminate most of the acoustic problems.

This is just my opinion.

That's what I'd like to accomplish with my headphone setup, regardless of how good my speaker setup is or isn't.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 9, 2006 at 5:30 PM Post #18 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by mazersteven
Question--What $400 Speakers do you have?

I agree that there is no substitute for a well put together HT system with proper placement of speakers, & an awesome sub like SVS. You also get involved physically from your sub.

But what headphones bring to the table is what many people do not have. A "Properly Acoustically Correct Listening Environment", with perfect speakers placement, with detail, imaging, and soundfield. Headphone eliminate most of the acoustic problems.

This is just my opinion.

I'm have a pair of a/d/s L210 speakers.
Here is a link. http://www.adst.com/products/home/lspeaker/L210.asp
Cymbals, and acoustic guitars sounds amazing, but there isn't any bass.
I have a separate pair of floor standing speakers that I am borrowing from a friend for bass.
They are very old and I am sure technology has improved since then.
But I still think for mid and hign range, they beat my headphones by a big margin.

Mar 9, 2006 at 5:35 PM Post #19 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by arnesto
I'm have a pair of a/d/s L210 speakers.
Here is a link. http://www.adst.com/products/home/lspeaker/L210.asp
Cymbals, and acoustic guitars sounds amazing, but there isn't any bass.
I have a separate pair of floor standing speakers that I am borrowing from a friend for bass.
They are very old and I am sure technology has improved since then.
But I still think for mid and hign range, they beat my headphones by a big margin.

I guess that's kind of a good news/ bad news situation, depending on how you look at it...
wink.gif

Mar 10, 2006 at 8:05 PM Post #20 of 28
I think that the K 701 loves tubes, big tubes and transformers output amp!

Best!
Nicola

Mar 10, 2006 at 10:10 PM Post #21 of 28
Another mention for the Corda Aria. I am listening to my Aria/K701 combo right now and love it. The sound is great and very natural.

Mar 15, 2006 at 11:12 PM Post #22 of 28
how would the portaphile compare to the gilmore lite sonically? and would it be worth it to get the upgraded portaphile with multiple buffers?
'

Mar 15, 2006 at 11:32 PM Post #23 of 28
I happily run the K701 in two very different systems
1) fast tube amp (Woo Audio 3) with slightly warm source (modded Onix XCD-88)
2) gutsy SS amp (Corda Prehead) with analytical source (CI AUDIO VDA1/VAC1)
with the latter, K701 literally sparkle. They grab you by the b..., I mean ears and force you to listen with undivided attention. Not good for an office setup...

Mar 16, 2006 at 12:45 AM Post #25 of 28
double post, sorry

Mar 16, 2006 at 12:46 AM Post #26 of 28
we all seem to be saying K701 work wonderfully in lots of different systems (although many seem to have a fast and powerful amp driving the cans). In my limited experience this was not true for the K501, nor for the K340, and certainly not for the DT880. Either we are still suffering from the FOTM-effect, or there is something behind the "best all-around cans" claim...

Mar 16, 2006 at 3:49 AM Post #28 of 28
[size=small]Has anyone used the K701 with the LaRocco Pocket Reference II (PRII)? If so, did the PRII drive it robustly? How did it sound?[/size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back