Good amp for K701s
Mar 6, 2006 at 5:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

Metaphysical

100+ Head-Fier
i think im finally gonna take the plunge and buy a set of k701s soon, what would be a good amp to compliment these cans? i dont think a cmoy would be sufficient would it? i have been looking at the little dot amps, how do they sound with k701s? i dont want to spend an arm and a leg.

Mar 6, 2006 at 1:11 PM Post #2 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Metaphysical
i think im finally gonna take the plunge and buy a set of k701s soon, what would be a good amp to compliment these cans? i dont think a cmoy would be sufficient would it? i have been looking at the little dot amps, how do they sound with k701s? i dont want to spend an arm and a leg.

Headamp Gilmore Lite for a new purchase.

www.headamp.com

There are lots of good used amps you could pick up too. The 701 sounds very good with tube or solid state designs. Suggestions .... used Mapletree ear+, M3, Headamp v2 and Singlepower ppx3.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 6, 2006 at 2:02 PM Post #3 of 28
The 701’s are very flexible. Just about any amp will drive them well, but the 701’s will show the quality (or lack thereof) of the driving amp. Personally I’d stay away from Tube amps that are known for “Tube Warmth”.

I drove them with a Channel Island Audio VHP-1/VAC-1 to good effect.

Mar 8, 2006 at 9:59 PM Post #7 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Metaphysical
anymore suggestions?
icon10.gif

I'm going to try and find a way to demo a GS-1 and probably one or two other things in the near future, but here's an fun, open challenge:

I see people around here talking about how they can get sound quality that's comparable a a "$10K" hi-fi system or what not.

With the AKG 701's...what would it take to enter that realm, sound quality wise?

I'm just generally curious.

Mar 8, 2006 at 11:12 PM Post #8 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by A.Thorsen
I'm going to try and find a way to demo a GS-1 and probably one or two other things in the near future, but here's an fun, open challenge:

I see people around here talking about how they can get sound quality that's comparable a a "$10K" hi-fi system or what not.

With the AKG 701's...what would it take to enter that realm, sound quality wise?

I'm just generally curious.

I have $6000 worth of just speakers in my HT system. I just purchased my first set of Headphones Senn HD 600's. I'm still asking myself why I purchased the speakers in the first place.
basshead.gif

I have the 701's on order wait for them to arrive.

Mar 8, 2006 at 11:42 PM Post #9 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by mazersteven
I have $6000 worth of just speakers in my HT system. I just purchased my first set of Headphones Senn HD 600's. I'm still asking myself why I purchased the speakers in the first place.
basshead.gif

Wow, that's saying something. I spent about...two grand tops on my present 5.1 setup. They're certainly solid speakers and all, but if someone like you comes away making a comment like this... Wow.

Now you're REALLY making me anxious to get my AKG 701's.
k1000smile.gif

Mar 8, 2006 at 11:43 PM Post #10 of 28
My favorite amp with the K 701 is the Corda Aria. What characterizes both is low coloration and high accuracy. I think this combo is hard to beat in its price class if you aim for an authentic sound without euphonic effects.

Mar 8, 2006 at 11:59 PM Post #11 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaZZ
My favorite amp with the K 701 is the Corda Aria. What characterizes both is low coloration and high accuracy. I think this combo is hard to beat in its price class if you aim for an authentic sound without euphonic effects.

Yup, that's one of several names on my short list.

Mar 9, 2006 at 1:49 AM Post #13 of 28
Well IMO my K701/GS-1 combo sound so near perfect I have absolutely no interest into tiring anything else. In-fact I plan on building solely around this combo from this day forward.
Here’s the thing, if I plug the 701's into anything other then the GS-1 I find a slight roll-off on either ends. If I plug any other phones into my GS-1 I find the complete opposite. With mids being the strong points of both these masterpieces, Together you end up with absolutely incredible tear jerking mids that blend and extend beautifully. It’s like they were made for each-other.
What the GS-1 lacks in soundstage, detail, transparency, and dynamics, the 701’s make up for.
What the 701 lacks in warmth, body, and fullness the GS-1 makes all better.

Yes I do think the 701s outclass the GS-1 but they have such synergy, that together, they come so close to giving me the perfect response I had imaged in my head.

Only time will tell if I ever will reach this perfect response I’ve been searching for, but I really do feel this combo is THE first stepping stone.

Mar 9, 2006 at 2:00 AM Post #14 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by mazersteven
basshead.gif

I have a pair of bookshelf speakers that I paid $400 for that still beats my headphone set that I paid $1500 for.

Plus you can never re-produce that feeling you get in your chest when you have a pair of speakers that produce really low bass.

I still like headphones because it is more of an intimate experience with the music. But for dynamics, I don't think headphones can beat speakers.

Mar 9, 2006 at 4:16 AM Post #15 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by arnesto
I have a pair of bookshelf speakers that I paid $400 for that still beats my headphone set that I paid $1500 for.

Plus you can never re-produce that feeling you get in your chest when you have a pair of speakers that produce really low bass.

I still like headphones because it is more of an intimate experience with the music. But for dynamics, I don't think headphones can beat speakers.

Question--What $400 Speakers do you have?

I agree that there is no substitute for a well put together HT system with proper placement of speakers, & an awesome sub like SVS. You also get involved physically from your sub.

But what headphones bring to the table is what many people do not have. A "Properly Acoustically Correct Listening Environment", with perfect speakers placement, with detail, imaging, and soundfield. Headphone eliminate most of the acoustic problems.

This is just my opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back