Good Amp for Denon D7000
Sep 16, 2012 at 10:49 AM Post #2 of 20
Beta 22 with 2x gain

Sep 16, 2012 at 8:42 PM Post #4 of 20
I thought my Woo Audio 2 paired well with the D7000. then again I believe it's hard to find most headphones don't sound good on a WA2. I balanced my D7000 and now use them with a WA22.

http://www.wooaudio.com/products/wa2.html

Sep 17, 2012 at 11:57 AM Post #5 of 20
There is a very good thread about amps for Denons that has just about all the information you need in one place:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/619181/list-opinion-amp-recommendations-for-denon-headphones/

Also, I second the Beta22 with 2x gain.  I use one with my LA2000 and it is great.

Sep 17, 2012 at 1:23 PM Post #9 of 20
The gain and the number of channels are pretty much unrelated.  You can build a 2 channel with 2x gain or a 3 channel with 2x gain.  However if you get a 4 channel balanced amp built, then the gain will be doubled.  I am sure there is a way to get a 4 channel amp built with 2x gain, but that would mean each board must have 1x gain, and I'm not sure how to do this (usually it would be leaving out the gain resistors, not sure if it would work in this case).

I went the simplest/cheapest way and built a 2 channel amp.  The gain you want won't affect the price of the amp, but must be specified as there is no good way to implement a gain switch.  The amount of channels you want will affect the price, by a good amount.

Sep 17, 2012 at 3:59 PM Post #11 of 20
Quote:

Indeed the Soloist is a great pairing with Denon. With the Variable output stage you are able to use from low impedance to hard to drive headphones. 

If you want an amp/dac combo, try the 160Ds

Sep 23, 2012 at 11:18 PM Post #12 of 20
Wait for Burson's new Conductor 3 in 1 (Head amp, DAC and Pre Amp) or if you just need a Head amp then the Soloist.

Sep 24, 2012 at 8:45 PM Post #13 of 20
Quote:
Wait for Burson's new Conductor 3 in 1 (Head amp, DAC and Pre Amp) or if you just need a Head amp then the Soloist.

Im sure it will be a good pairing. But a lil over Op's budget. 

The Soloist with (some dac) is a good idea. 

Mar 24, 2013 at 10:11 AM Post #14 of 20
I'm in the same boat as OP, and right now I'm considering the Schiit Asgard 2. I already have a Cambridge DacMagic Plus, and I'm content with it as a DAC for the time being. The built-in amp however, while very good for the price, I think isn't doing my D7000s justice.
While cheaper than I had really considered, the Asgard 2 seemd like a good choice after reading Macick Man's post in a similar thread.

Quote:
Well, frak. Here's the word from Schiit:

Quote:
It won't damage the D7000s if used properly, but we wouldn't recommend it for another simple reason: Lyr is a very high-gain amp, intended for inefficient orthodynamics and high-impedance headphones. It'll probably have too much residual noise for the insanely sensitive D7000s. We use Asgard ourselves with our D5000s, and it is a perfect match.

Jason Stoddard
Co-Founder

OP, there's an answer for ya though, go with the Schiit Asgard. I guess I'm still gonna search for a tube solution.

Mar 24, 2013 at 10:23 AM Post #15 of 20
Check out the 2359Glenn | Studio thread.  There are a few users there with 2359Glenn amps driving their D700s to outstanding results.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back