good amp for both headphones and speakers
Jun 21, 2004 at 9:43 AM Post #4 of 23
I know of a good preamp that is good for headphone's and for speaker pre-amplification, but if you add a good poweramp...it'll go out of your budget.

Jun 21, 2004 at 10:04 AM Post #5 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by boodi
Are there good amp that work well for both purpose (fine amping headphones and also speakers ?)

The Audiovalve RKV Mk II is a great amp for headphones, incl. the hard-to-drive AKG K-1000's. It also doubles as an amplifier for speakers, but you have to purchase an additional device called "Impedancer". The Impedancer will also allow you to use the RKV with low-impedance headphones, such as Grados, etc.

The RKV works very well with speakers as long as they are highly efficient (I tried it with 92dB efficiency speakers with surprisingly good results).

The price for the entire setup, when purchased through Meier Audio, would remain within your upper threshold, IIRC.

One more advantage: Due to the RKV's sophisticated circuit, tubes from different manufacturers/years are not supposed to cause sonic differences, because the bias AND the amplification characteristics are automatically adjusted at all times by the amp. Replacement tubes are inexpensive and easy to find.

One further advantage: The manufacturer offers the option to install a real "pre" out (and I mean a real "pre" out that is controlled by the RKV's volume pot, not only a second pair of RCAs that act as a loop -- the latter comes as a standard feature anyway).

You could start with the RKV as the heart of your system, and if you later you want more volume and have the money, you can still purchase a power amp and feed it from the RKV's "pre" out.

I think it's a very good deal, and it sounds great, too, with many many different headphones. It is a great combination with Sennheiser HD650s. It makes you forget you're listening to recorded music.

Jun 21, 2004 at 12:28 PM Post #6 of 23
I'll go looking into that

[size=xx-small]now I have to find a job that let me get the RKV amp + akg k1000 + average IC cables ( i discovered these make such an incredible change on my setup results )[/size]

Jun 21, 2004 at 12:57 PM Post #7 of 23
The portal panache is a 100 watt integrated amp with a dedicated headphone output that runs off the power amp section. You see them routinely on audiogon selling as demos for $1295. They have received numerous good reviews and I considered one before myself.

www.portalaudio.com

Jun 21, 2004 at 2:20 PM Post #8 of 23
Cary SLI-80 is a tubed integrated with good power (80w/40w) that switches from ultralinear to pentode mode (or something like that). It also has a very good headphone jack, driven off the tubes, not some 12 cent transistor.

-
600smile.gif

Jun 21, 2004 at 7:12 PM Post #9 of 23
You can read the review on The Absolute Sound, TNT Audio, etc. It's an integrated tube amp putting out 10wpc. Enough to power efficient speakers. According to several articles, some users have been using it as headphone amps with good results as well. (Headphone jack is an additonal $100). The price is something like $800. You can get upgraded caps, power supply, etc for additional $400 or something like that. (details on the TNT review) You can read more details and links to reviews on their website: www.sophiaelectric.com

Read the user response on their website, someone preferred this amp over the RKV. I'm very intriqued by this integrated amp right now, as it is in the same price range as the Audio Valve RKV MkII (which I had heard and liked it) and the Rudistor RP-5 (which several peple praised about).

Jun 21, 2004 at 9:39 PM Post #12 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by gundam91
You can read the review on The Absolute Sound, TNT Audio, etc. It's an integrated tube amp putting out 10wpc. Enough to power efficient speakers. According to several articles, some users have been using it as headphone amps with good results as well.

Head-fi member Bostonears owns one, and as far as I remember it sounded too shrill when used with headphones (he posted a review some time ago).

Jun 21, 2004 at 10:19 PM Post #13 of 23
OK, I found it. The amp was powering an AKG1000. If I read correctly, I think he attributed a lot of the sound characteristics to the AKG1000.

http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=37865

By the way, I think you can get a headphone jack installed on the Sophia Baby for another $100.

Jun 21, 2004 at 11:34 PM Post #14 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover
The portal panache is a 100 watt integrated amp with a dedicated headphone output that runs off the power amp section. You see them routinely on audiogon selling as demos for $1295. They have received numerous good reviews and I considered one before myself.

www.portalaudio.com

this is attracting my attention
how go reviews on this fascinating modern look amp ?

Jun 21, 2004 at 11:36 PM Post #15 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeg
I use an ASL UHC-Signature headphone adapter with my ASL AQ-1005DT amp., and the UHC device does a great job.

where can i find info on this unit ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back