Good affordable portable amp for SA6?
May 27, 2008 at 12:37 PM Post #2 of 8
I am very impressed with Ray Samuel's portable amps. You could pick up a used Hornet or Tomahawk and stay within your budget. I tried the SA6 with the Hornet at CanJam '08 and it sounded quite good.

May 27, 2008 at 2:15 PM Post #3 of 8
The Mini^3 is a great sounding portable amp. It can be commisioned for around $130 or built yourself for around $90. The opamps in the high performance edition have a lot of output current and a full rail-to-rail voltage swing. While being simple in design, it is still technically superior to most commercial amps out there
wink.gif

May 27, 2008 at 6:13 PM Post #4 of 8
Or you can buy my Tomahawk!!. Cheap and tasteless plug on my part
eek.gif

May 28, 2008 at 6:09 PM Post #6 of 8
Or how about nothing? I'm not seeing why you should amp the SA6, assuming your source is a DAP. I don't own the SA6 but I heard it for a half-critical 10-minute listening session at CanJam '08 (the recent International Meet) on my iAudio X5 and it sounded very nice. My Klipsch IMAGE IEMs also sound very good on my X5, I don't bother externally amping them. Unless your source's headphone jack is a piece of junk, you don't need an amp.

May 28, 2008 at 6:20 PM Post #7 of 8
X2. I own the SA6s and the MiniboxE+ and hardly ever bother to run the MB when using the Sleeks. Just doesn't seem that much of a boost, especially out of the HP out. With the ZVM LOD, a little more difference, but again, SA6s are made to use without an amp in my view. I mean, unless you really want to spend the money. Then by all means...

Jun 2, 2008 at 12:00 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
X2. I own the SA6s and the MiniboxE+ and hardly ever bother to run the MB when using the Sleeks. Just doesn't seem that much of a boost, especially out of the HP out. With the ZVM LOD, a little more difference, but again, SA6s are made to use without an amp in my view. I mean, unless you really want to spend the money. Then by all means...

I see..

My friend lent me a PA2V2 the other day... and I definitely feel that the SQ improved Mid was more clarified, soundstage was improved..etc) with that budget amp.

I was just wondering if Boa would do better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back