Good $300 range full sized headphones
Jan 3, 2013 at 1:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

garytheSNAIL

New Head-Fier
Hey guys. I'm considering spending around $300 on full sized headphones.

I'm currently using ATH-AD900's right now. I love these cans and their clarity and soundstage. That's why I purchased them about a year and a half ago. But I feel that the range of music style I can enjoy on these are a bit limited as they're geared more towards the mids and highs. I absolutely love listening to vocals on these cans and I think vocal reproduction is probably one of AD900's strongest points. But for certain types of music like electronic/dubstep and some types of rock, I find it unsatisfying with them. I listen to all types of music from pop, rock, classical, to electronic.

I'm wondering if I can find a pair of cans for around $300 that is more even throughout the frequencies and has a flat sound signature so I can use them for all types of music. Not sure if I'll find what I'm looking for at this price, but in other words, I'm looking for a pair of cans that has pretty much everything the AD900 has but with more pronounced bass.

P.S. I've thought about just spending much less and getting a pair of m50s since I've tried them countless times and like sound on them. But I just can't let go of the clarity and soundstage of the AD900s. So here I am, requesting help from you all. Thanks in advance, guys.

Jan 3, 2013 at 2:17 AM Post #2 of 6
Well I might as well throw this option out, however it may not be the upgrade you want, or seem like an upgrade at all. I was about to recommend the DT880s because of their flat sound, but then re-read and saw you want more prominent bass. I have not heard your headphones nor the ones I am about to recommend, but the DT990's are supposed to be basically a more lively, less neutral DT880. And the DT880 are awesome in terms of clarity, accuracy, neutrality, comfort, style, and sound stage. The whole BeyerDynamic line is very well known for its clear high ends, so especially if you like the crisp highs (that can still be toned down with an EQ) you would like these. The DT990's are at $200 right now, and amps will obviously help these too, if you want to take that extra $100. 

Sorry I don't have a whole bunch of suggestions and reasons why, this is just an option, but not sure if this is the route you want to go.

I personally was at your budget, then stepped up to $400 and got the Hifiman HE-400 (they arrive tomorrow). If you can patiently wait for a $400 budget, these HE-400s are supposed to be the do-it-all, play-any-genre headphone, and puts the user in awe while doing it. Read about them, they sound nuts.

Jan 3, 2013 at 1:25 PM Post #4 of 6
HE-400, huh... 400 bucks. I've also heard lots and lots of rave about these headphones. Are they as good as people make them sound? 400 is a pretty steep price, but this is so tempting. as far as i know, theyre open right? and how easy are they to drive? I use a FiiO E10 right now as my DAC/amp. would that be enough?

For a while I actually considered getting the AKG K702. What do you guys think about that? Does that seem like not much of an upgrade from what I use right now?

Jan 5, 2013 at 1:02 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:
I personally was at your budget, then stepped up to $400 and got the Hifiman HE-400 (they arrive tomorrow). If you can patiently wait for a $400 budget, these HE-400s are supposed to be the do-it-all, play-any-genre headphone, and puts the user in awe while doing it. Read about them, they sound nuts.

Hey Fedelesk, have your HE-400 arrived yet? Just wondering if you can shed some light on your impression on them. How do you like them?

Jan 5, 2013 at 2:09 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:
Hey guys. I'm considering spending around $300 on full sized headphones.

I'm currently using ATH-AD900's right now. I love these cans and their clarity and soundstage. That's why I purchased them about a year and a half ago. But I feel that the range of music style I can enjoy on these are a bit limited as they're geared more towards the mids and highs. I absolutely love listening to vocals on these cans and I think vocal reproduction is probably one of AD900's strongest points. But for certain types of music like electronic/dubstep and some types of rock, I find it unsatisfying with them. I listen to all types of music from pop, rock, classical, to electronic.

I'm wondering if I can find a pair of cans for around $300 that is more even throughout the frequencies and has a flat sound signature so I can use them for all types of music. Not sure if I'll find what I'm looking for at this price, but in other words, I'm looking for a pair of cans that has pretty much everything the AD900 has but with more pronounced bass.

P.S. I've thought about just spending much less and getting a pair of m50s since I've tried them countless times and like sound on them. But I just can't let go of the clarity and soundstage of the AD900s. So here I am, requesting help from you all. Thanks in advance, guys.

-Flat
-Good For all Music
-Soundstage

If you don't mind open backs, 

Sennheiser HD 595/598

But then I read "More pronounced Bass"

Well, the bass in my 595's is THERE, and it sounds CLEAR, but it's not got too much punch... Then again, I've yet to run them properly amp'd. 

I need to get a career that makes some real money so I can feel so much less guilty about the VERY few times I can afford anything in the audio section. :/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back