Good 2.1 Stereo system for ~$150
Sep 24, 2012 at 5:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

missleman101

Head-Fier
I'm new to the speaker scene and I'm looking for a good 2.1 speaker set or some passive bookshelves and a amp for around $150. Just looking for something to hook up for my computer that's half decent that me and my suite mates can listen to while where in our suite.

Sep 24, 2012 at 8:40 PM Post #2 of 12
Would you like some floorstanding speakers? If so, these Pioneers are a great deal. Use promo code EMCNAJB224 for $20 off. Or you can get $30 off these bookshelves (promo code EMCNAJB226). 

Then this Lepai t-amp is great for the price. Won't get super loud, but you'd get a good listening volume out of them and those speakers.  Or, check your local Craigslist. Often good deals on used receivers for about $50. 

Sep 24, 2012 at 10:02 PM Post #3 of 12
Quote:
Would you like some floorstanding speakers? If so, these Pioneers are a great deal. Use promo code EMCNAJB224 for $20 off. Or you can get $30 off these bookshelves (promo code EMCNAJB226). 

Then this Lepai t-amp is great for the price. Won't get super loud, but you'd get a good listening volume out of them and those speakers.  Or, check your local Craigslist. Often good deals on used receivers for about $50. 

I like those a lot but i'm looking for more of a bookshelf speakers , maybe even self amplified. I was looking at some audioengine A2, are those any good? or do you have any other suggestions?

Sep 24, 2012 at 10:28 PM Post #4 of 12
Sorry. Use said "passive" bookshelves in your original post. That means unamped. And the 2nd link above in that first paragraph is to a pair of bookshelves that are regularly $80 a pair down to $50. That Pioneer series and the new versions of it that Best Buy carries (check their website), are considered some of the best values in speakers in their price range.

I haven't heard the Audioengine A2s. I know that they are popular, but I believe that they might be hyped because of all the advertising, too. I stopped using amplified speakers for my desktop setup several years ago. Sorry. Not much help with that. 

Sep 24, 2012 at 10:53 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:
Sorry. Use said "passive" bookshelves in your original post. That means unamped. And the 2nd link above in that first paragraph is to a pair of bookshelves that are regularly $80 a pair down to $50. That Pioneer series and the new versions of it that Best Buy carries (check their website), are considered some of the best values in speakers in their price range.

I haven't heard the Audioengine A2s. I know that they are popular, but I believe that they might be hyped because of all the advertising, too. I stopped using amplified speakers for my desktop setup several years ago. Sorry. Not much help with that. 

i like the $50 bookshelves you linked me but what about a different amp , since there not as expensive, do you have a better suggestion of a better amp? Possible something that has plug ins for an self powered subwoofer?

Sep 24, 2012 at 11:06 PM Post #9 of 12
Accessories4less.com has some factory refurbished, factory warrantied Onkyo and Denon HT receivers in your budget range. Those should have subwoofer line outs. They have a good reputation as a vendor (my family has used them twice to buy receivers, too).

I think most 2 channel stereo receivers in your budget range do not have subwoofer out. But that's typically not a problem because you can easily find a subwoofer with speaker level inputs. Then you hook your main speakers to the A left/right speaker output on the receiver, and your subwoofer to the B left/right speaker output on the receiver. Other than Craigslist, your best bet for a 2 channel receiver is accessories4less again.  Look for Onkyo. 

Sep 24, 2012 at 11:17 PM Post #10 of 12
Accessories4less.com has some factory refurbished, factory warrantied Onkyo and Denon HT receivers in your budget range. Those should have subwoofer line outs. They have a good reputation as a vendor (my family has used them twice to buy receivers, too).

I think most 2 channel stereo receivers in your budget range do not have subwoofer out. But that's typically not a problem because you can easily find a subwoofer with speaker level inputs. Then you hook your main speakers to the A left/right speaker output on the receiver, and your subwoofer to the B left/right speaker output on the receiver. Other than Craigslist, your best bet for a 2 channel receiver is accessories4less again.  Look for Onkyo. 

Alright then do you have a better suggestion for an amp without a sub line out ?

Sep 25, 2012 at 1:41 AM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Do I absolutely need a receiver to output the signal to the speakers? I have a DAC with a spare set of RCA output (which I assume are line level) and want to make use of these outputs to power a speaker for each channel. Are there any passive bookshelf speakers that would work with my intended setup? I don't want to use the "headphones output" of my laptop as it would be cumblesome choosing between devices instead of the knob switch I have on my DAC. Anyways, I have no problem modifying the terminals of the speaker cables but I currently have no speakers to try it with. Really appreciate some advice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back