good 2.0 or 2.1 set
Nov 12, 2008 at 9:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Drawnbychrist

Head-Fier
Looking for a good 2.0 or 2.1 set. Currently I am using an SupremeFX XFi sound card that came with my Motherboard. I'm new to the headfi community and really interested in getting quality sound out of my computer. So besides the speakers are there other things that I need? amp or DAC? Will use these mostly for music and games, mainly WoW and a few FPS.

I have an old set of Cambridge Soundworks 2.0 multimedia speakers that are about 10 years old or so, and they blow my roommates Bose 2.0 away...he thinks Bose is top of the line hehe. I hope to show him what real quality sounds like. Does Cambridge make quality stuff? I only ask because mine sound decent. There Extreme Multimedia system looks nice Cambridge SoundWorks: High Performance Speakers, Home Theater Systems, Table Radios, Multimedia Systems and More

Ok, looked at some amps and I am thinking about NuForce Icon, is this a good one?

Nov 13, 2008 at 4:29 PM Post #4 of 11
I myself am looking at the Audioengine A2's. They run about $200 and are compact. If you search the forum you will hear some nice things about them. Not sure how much bass you would need - these are 2.0.

Nov 14, 2008 at 4:12 AM Post #5 of 11
Those look pretty nice. I am wondering though if I can get better quality out of passive speakers or monitors and an Amp?

What is the difference between a "speaker" and a "monitor" if anything?

Still new to this so if this is a newb question please forgive and teach me the ways

Nov 14, 2008 at 4:27 AM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drawnbychrist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Those look pretty nice. I am wondering though if I can get better quality out of passive speakers or monitors and an Amp?

Still new to this so if this is a newb question please forgive and teach me the ways

"Monitors" are used for mastering and mixing... And often times they are "near-field". The high frequencies are very directional, so placement is critical. And expect to sit near it, almost within arm's reach.

Nov 14, 2008 at 3:30 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drawnbychrist /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Its not a big of a difference as some might lead you to believe. Monitors ideally have a very flat frequency response that allows for predictable results when mixing / mastering. Just about any monitor you would be looking at is also going to be 'near-field' meaning that it is optimized for short distance use...

I've found that there are a lot of really great deals in low end passive monitors. Personally I am using some KRK ST6 that I picked up for 100.00 each. Add in an amp and your good to go.

Nov 14, 2008 at 7:02 PM Post #8 of 11
I see, it's nice to know the difference. I think though I would rather have speakers so they could be more versatile. As to the quality question, would passive speakers and a Amp provide better quality than multimedia, powered speakers? Any suggestions in either category are welcome.

Nov 15, 2008 at 8:04 AM Post #9 of 11
As a general rule avoid anything with the word "multimedia."
wink.gif

CSW does make quality speakers. Better than their rep. They've scaled way back than the once many brick and morters across the county. I've got a pair of M80s which considering I got a pair for $199 new, sound very very nice. CSW is now owned by Creative though. Their lines are still superior to Creatives sometimes duplicates.

The Ion is supposed to be a good amp, but their pairing speakers aren't. I haven't personally heard either though.

I do wonder if at $300 you can do better than some of the monitors out there. Perhaps look at T-amps and match. Certainly some Swans or Audioengine A5s (with coupon - search Google) would be my top choices (though powered monitors). Those CSW Mick Fleetwood Signature Model Twelves come on sale once in a while though. Especially around the holidays.
wink.gif

EDIT: Looks like they have a B-stock for $299.

Nov 15, 2008 at 3:36 PM Post #10 of 11
From what I've read, this has good synergy and is a good combo for you.

Harmon Kardon 3385 ~200
Infinity P152 ~90 on eBay

Use live.com's 25% discount and it'll cost you $217. Pretty sweet deal.

Nov 16, 2008 at 7:57 AM Post #11 of 11
im sure there are a lot of "better" options out there than the Audioengine A5s, but they are active monitors and negate the need for a good synergistic amp. saves space too.

i hear lots of good things about the infinity p152 though.

i used, and still have a pair of the insignia bookshelves + a used home theatre amp i bought ion craigslist for $40. for a combo costing less than $100, it was really great too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back