Good “All Rounder” IEM for $300
Mar 8, 2021 at 11:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

downingp

500+ Head-Fier
I am in the market for an IEM that I will be primarily using for travel and paired with an iPhone and Dragonfly Red. I primarily listen to singer/songwriter music along with Indie and Alternative. I have set a budget of around $300 and am looking for some recommendations either new or used.
After doing some reading and research, I have been interested in the following although would welcome any other thoughts and suggestions:

Sennheiser IE300
Meze Rai Solo
Moondrop Starfield
Penon Orb
Fiio FH7
Campfire Audio Polaris II
Moondrop Blessing 2
iBasso IT04
Fearless S8

Thanks and look forward to reading the discussion.

Mar 8, 2021 at 11:22 AM Post #2 of 35
The Moondrop Starfield is a fantastic value for $110. Pretty neutral, with a slight bass emphasis and slightly rolled-off treble. Works really well with a lot of different kinds of music. Very much enjoy mine.

I've read where the Moondrop Blessing 2 is similar to the Starfield, but with everything just that much more advanced. It's a level above the Starfield. Also have read that you want to get the Moondrop Blessing 2 Dusk version, which features tuning from noted IEM reviewer and expert Crinacle. That tuning supposedly takes the already excellent Blessing 2 and makes it sublime. I haven't heard it yet. Want to!

I'm also eager to hear the Meze Rai Solo. I own and love the Meze 99 Classics over-ear headphone, which is warm and bassy while still staying controlled. I know the Rai Solo has a more neutral, analytical sound signature, which is fine. I'm quite impressed with Meze's commitment to quality and customers, so I always want to try its products that are within my budget (sadly, this doesn't count the Empyrean or the Rai Penta!).

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2021 at 12:05 PM Post #3 of 35
I am in the market for an IEM that I will be primarily using for travel and paired with an iPhone and Dragonfly Red. I primarily listen to singer/songwriter music along with Indie and Alternative. I have set a budget of around $300 and am looking for some recommendations either new or used.
After doing some reading and research, I have been interested in the following although would welcome any other thoughts and suggestions:

Sennheiser IE300
Meze Rai Solo
Moondrop Starfield
Penon Orb
Fiio FH7
Moondrop Blessing 2
iBasso IT04
Fearless S8

Mar 8, 2021 at 12:07 PM Post #4 of 35
I would suggest looking at comfort too.... if you are traveling there is also the outside noise from your environment to be considered

Mar 8, 2021 at 1:30 PM Post #7 of 35
About $300 budget? Singer/songwriter fan? Indie/Alternative fan?

Yume

Starfield

Buy both. They complement each other and do so well with those particular genres. You will be happy and under budget. :)

graph.png

edit: add Yume vs. Dusk graph from Crinnacle

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2021 at 1:48 PM Post #8 of 35
I own the Moon drop Blessing 2 Dusks and I love them. Wonderful tonal balance and great sub bass shelf. I own several much higher end IEMs and these compete nicely against those. I've read a lot about the Unique Melody 3DT and liked what I read so much that I bought a pair. What's unique about the 3DT is it has 3 dynamic drivers and therefore does not suffer from BA timbre issues that other higher end IEMs have.

Mar 8, 2021 at 3:29 PM Post #10 of 35
Nature Sound NS5 MkII is perhaps right in the same ballpark as the Oxygen. Very similar tunings. I actually wound up liking the NS5 MkII's sound a little better. It has a tad more sparkle to the treble, and is just that slight bit more spacious in its presentation. It's a little less expensive as well.

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2021 at 3:33 PM Post #11 of 35

Sennheiser IE300
Meze Rai Solo
Moondrop Starfield
Penon Orb
Fiio FH7
Moondrop Blessing 2
iBasso IT04
Fearless S8

Blessing 2 is very good in that price range, although I am one of the few who find it a little dry and not as smooth and emotional as I'd like for vocals.
If you go for the B2, maybe better get the B2 Dusk. Should be a good match with the Dragonfly.

If you could increase the budget to $400 the Sony IER-M7 would get my vote. I have the M9 and it's extremely good, much better than the B2 IMO, and the M7 is very similar, just a bit warmer still. If you look for treble sparkle you'll have to give it a pass though, the M7 is smooth ratehr than sparkly.

The Tanchijm Oxygen is a good rec too - more on the brighter side but a real classic DD highlight.
DDs IMO are often smoother and somewhat more musical, with more natural decay.

All of those are safe and excellent options ate $300, and you have to spend considerably more to move up to the next level.

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2021 at 4:28 PM Post #13 of 35
I definitely find there are plenty of options to choose from in this price range; almost too many to be honest making it even more of a challenge to choose.
You chose a good price point where you are getting a lot for your money and have a lot of good options!
If you can tell us more about what you have heard and what you liked and disliked it would be helpful.

Maybe also share some tracks which are representative of what you listen to and describe what you are listening for specifically in those tracks, maybe what improvements you'd like.

Mar 8, 2021 at 4:59 PM Post #14 of 35
I definitely find there are plenty of options to choose from in this price range; almost too many to be honest making it even more of a challenge to choose.

That is for certain! Good luck and enjoy the music. :)

Mar 8, 2021 at 5:15 PM Post #15 of 35
You chose a good price point where you are getting a lot for your money and have a lot of good options!
If you can tell us more about what you have heard and what you liked and disliked it would be helpful.

Maybe also share some tracks which are representative of what you listen to and describe what you are listening for specifically in those tracks, maybe what improvements you'd like.
Thanks for reaching out. I do have a list of music tracks that I will typically play if I am listening to a new speaker and/or headphone.
One of those albums/tracks is Dave Matthews’ solo album, Some Devil. I enjoy vocal tracks and being able to hear the subtle nuances of tracks; hearing the musician’s breath, plucking of guitar strings and feeling like the artist is standing right in front of me if I close my eyes.
I have been out of the headphone game for quite some time but I do recall the HD650 being one of my favorite headphones from years ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back