Gonna spend some money - I don't need advice, just fellow audiophiles to discuss options with up to $500 budget
Nov 14, 2014 at 10:10 PM Post #16 of 28
  Quote:
  Sorry, just realised it's the 601 you have, not the 612!  Well, in that case, I'm sure the K712 will be a very noticeable improvement to you.  Still, I stick by my word about trying something leftfield!

That's my instinct as well. I'm really excited to try the HD700, as based on what I like about my current headphones, I think it will bring together a lot of qualities.

I do enjoy a variety of phones - I just need to break out of the price point I've looked at because in the 100 - 200 range a lot sounds similar. I really like my k601s... but we'll see. Like I said, I'm lucky to have some places to demo. I won't really be able to provide great feedback on phones here, I just don't have the vocabulary to do it - but I will know what I like the best!!

And by the way - thanks for the conversation, its exactly what I was looking for. Not too many people to geek out with between my wife and two kids (3 years and 2 years). I'm working on the kids though!

No worries, it's good to talk!  I myself pulleg the trigger on the HD700s.  A few weeks back, a number of pairs went on ebay for around £2-300, which is an amazing price.  I was condisering them rather than the HD800 due to price (obviously) and that they are supposed to be more 'fun' and less analytical.  The other issue with the HD800s is not just the price of the headphone - once you get them, you are opening up a very expensive search to amp them right to get the best out of them and I nor my wallet really fancied that.  Therefore, the HD700 seemed like the wise option, with maybe a good chunk of the qualities of the HD800 but cheaper and with more bass, easier to amp etc.  However, what changed my mind was the complaints of a strident/peaky/problematic treble.  I've had those issues with the HE400 and don't want to go through that again!  Also, the HE560 are supposed to outclass them in every way and even pull punches with the real big boy flagships for much the same price or just a little more..

Nov 15, 2014 at 4:39 PM Post #17 of 28
So did you keep the hd700s? What amp are you using? One of my goals is to only buy new phones, so I want the new headphones to pair well with the Gilmore lite...

I haven't been deterred from the hd700 by the reviews but I also haven't heard them for myself.

Nov 15, 2014 at 5:25 PM Post #18 of 28
So did you keep the hd700s? What amp are you using? One of my goals is to only buy new phones, so I want the new headphones to pair well with the Gilmore lite...

I haven't been deterred from the hd700 by the reviews but I also haven't heard them for myself.

I didn't keep the HD700, because I prefer the more analytical sound of the HD800. If you can go for the 800, go for it.

The HD700 sounded good to me paired with the Fiio E9K (7/10), HDVD600 (9/10), Burson conductor (9/10), Straight out of AK100 (6/10), Fireflies (6/10 - tube doesn't sound good with the HD700).

10/10 is what I consider maximum potential for the HD700.

Unfortunately I have never heard the gilmore lite, but as long as it's not a tube amp, I think it will be fine. The highest end solid states are what can really show the potential of the HD700.

Nov 16, 2014 at 4:17 PM Post #19 of 28
I just reread my post and I apologise, I meant to say 'nearly' pulled the trigger buying the HD700s.  I never did buy or try them.  I'm presently still considering my next upgrade.  It could be a slow process though as I'm actually very, very happy with what I already have, just feeling a little greedy for more!

Nov 23, 2014 at 10:49 PM Post #20 of 28
I recently discovered the reviews of the NAD viso hp50 and I think it is what I'm going to go for. It will cost something I'm comfortable with and not replace my akg's... I might get something else to compliment them with, since they are cheaper, but likely I'll buy an interesting watch as head-fi is not the only forum I obsess over. (-:

Nov 24, 2014 at 12:32 AM Post #21 of 28
I have the HE-560 and I really like them. They are extremely neutral. Sound quality is quite amazing. 

I can see it being bass-light for certain preferences. The Oppo PM-1s are warmer than the HE-560 if you want something with a bit more bass emphasis.

Nov 25, 2014 at 12:51 PM Post #22 of 28
I too ended up getting the HE560s.  I've only had them a couple of days but my God, they are good.  They've outclassed all my expectations on what a great headphone could possibly sound like.  Game over for me.

Dec 4, 2014 at 9:01 AM Post #23 of 28
  I recently discovered the reviews of the NAD viso hp50 and I think it is what I'm going to go for. It will cost something I'm comfortable with and not replace my akg's... I might get something else to compliment them with, since they are cheaper, but likely I'll buy an interesting watch as head-fi is not the only forum I obsess over. (-:

That's a very good choice imo. The NAD Viso HP50 might not be technically better than your K601, but they certainly have a different sound signature allowing you to enjoy the same music in different ways. This might be more satisfying to you than buying much more expensive cans with a sound signature similar to your current cans. Enjoy your purchase!

Jan 2, 2015 at 1:57 PM Post #25 of 28
Well, if you were wondering what I bought, I ended up with a pair of Focal Spirit Pros - I haven't actually heard them yet - they were delivered to my work while I'm on a little New Year's vacation. I'll hear them monday. Pretty excited about it!

I'm now thinking about upgrading my 5th gen ipod w/ meier 3Move to an X5 or a DX90. Wondering if anyone has advice on the ipod + amp vs the standalone DAP??? Would I be better off buying a headamp pico slim? Or pico power? I'm also intrigued by the now discontinued ALO audio Continental....

Jan 2, 2015 at 3:00 PM Post #26 of 28
I think getting a good potrable DAC is a good way to ensure that your smartphone can always sound amazing on the go.  I have the HRT Microstreamer and use it to turn both my phone and desktop PC into deliverers of audio bliss.  The amp section in the HRT is great anyway, but there is a dedicated line out to run into any other amp your choose.

Happy New Year!

Jan 3, 2015 at 6:48 PM Post #27 of 28
Eh - for whatever reason I've never been big into using the smart phone for music. Besides, I have a nexus 5, no sd card slot and not much internal memory.... I want smaller in the pocker. What I'm trying to decide is do I just search for a used DX90 or do I spring for an X1 and allow for the possibility of upgraditits to set in in about 6 months. I think I should save frankly, but it would be so cool to order a new player right now. The thing I want to avoid is a downgrade in audio quality from my current setup...

But you make a good point about the DAC. Even if I got a headamp pico, I'd still be using the ipod's DAC. I use a LOD cable, but that sends out the analog signal after it was converted by the Wolfson chip on the ipod 5.5gen. (I think). The DX90 has dual sabre DACs and as such it is supposed to have good soundstage.

Jan 17, 2015 at 8:53 PM Post #28 of 28
I honestly think getting the X5 is the best you can do. I have the X1 and it has a great DAC for the money, but it's amp component is a bit lacking (still great value for money and better than your I-pod). The X5 is certainly better than the X1+E12 amp combination and the controls are very easy to use. It's big though and that is why I stick with the X1 with no external amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back