Goldring DR150 vs Grado SR80i vs Alessandro MS1-i vs Audio Technica MH50...:)
Aug 8, 2010 at 8:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Raines

Head-Fier
Hi guys:D

This is my first post here:D

I have been reading almost every post about these phones and now i would like some opinioes:D

First the basics:D

I have this system:

Arcam alpha 8 amp
Marantz CD 63 MK-II KI signature
B&W 603 speakers

Mp3 cowon i9

in the future maybe sansa clip+ and/or hippo gum stick

I own a pair oh senns HD555 and i like them

I have xears TD100 , N3, RE0 IEMS

Type of music:

Radiohead
Arcade Fire
dEUS
Samashing
Pearl Jam
U2
dave matthews
saragh brightman and some classic

Not RAP and not much electronic music.

Now i have been reading your topics about them and would like some opinioes, in particular from people that have heard some of the cans.

i would like phones to complement the sound of the HD555 and maybe some to substitute them.

I dont mind buying a pair of open and a pir of  closed if it is worth:)

I read that the grado 80 have more bass then MS1 but i also read the oposite...

What i would like to know is going from the HD555 what diferences can i expect in the folowing:

Goldring DR150

Grado SR80i

MS1-i

AT MH50

Thank you so much and sorry for the long post:D

P.S. - i am from portugal so i would like also places to buy there cheap that send to portugal

Aug 8, 2010 at 10:21 AM Post #2 of 12
My 2 cents.

Never heard the HD555, but I've heard / owned / still own the rest.

Unless you've been living under a rock you'd know that the MS-1, and the Grado are great "rock cans", of the open variety, whereas the ATH-M50s are a great all-rounder of the closed-back variety.

Personally, I've owned the Grado SR60, the Grado SR225 and I've auditioned the SR80, SR125, and SR325i.  For what it's worth I sold the SR60 and the SR225 and kept the Goldring DR150 and couldn't be happier. 

THe Goldring DR150 is hugely underrated - Goldring makes great cartridges and such, but they've never been known for their headphones.  Of the few head-fiers who have heard the DR150 though, it sounds unbelievably good.  I still give mine frequent head time despite owning much more expensive headphones.  Many head-fiers have also preferred the DR150 to the HD555 and the HD595 as well.

Aug 8, 2010 at 12:07 PM Post #3 of 12

And how about the sound signatures between the goldring DR 150 and the  grado 80i?

I guess the MS1 is similar to the SR80/125... without huge diferences...

Between the grado 60, 80 and 125 is it worth the leap in price?

I see you have the AD700 ... how do they compare with the goldring?

thank you so much:)

Aug 8, 2010 at 12:19 PM Post #4 of 12

Personally, I spent a LONG time comparing the various Prestige Grado models and found them to have very little differences in sound.  If you're a graph guy, the graphs over at headroom seem to confirm this.  Even when I owned my SR60 and my SR225 I had to really listen carefully for the differences.  If you go Grado, I would suggest that you be happy with the most expensive one you can afford, the SR60 giving you BY FAR the best bang for your buck.  You get small increments of improvement (maybe 5% at most) between each model, at a big cost.  Personally though, I would go MS-1 before I went with the SR60 again. 

The Goldrings offer much better bass IMO (not bass monsters, just better extension and presence), wider soundstage and better comfort.  I don't miss my Grado SR225 at all, and my DR150 is my go-to rock and roll can when the mood hits me.  The sparkly highs and midrange are still there, but still sounds less fatiguing than the Grados. 

The AD700 is a great headphone, but I use it almost exclusively for games and movies.  It has a WIDE and AIRY soundstage, great midrange, delicate treble and respectable bass, but for your specific type of music I would suggest the Goldrings. YMMV.

Aug 8, 2010 at 12:34 PM Post #5 of 12
Listening to Radiohead right now on the DR150 - sweet. 

If is matters, the DR150 is also more balanced than the Grados.  I listen to ALOT of electronic music and the Grados sucked terribly in the bass / soudstage department, whereas the DR150 recieves a passing grade.

Aug 8, 2010 at 7:48 PM Post #6 of 12
Another vote for the Goldrings here. They will complement the type of music you listen to very nicely. I'd definitely take them over the SR-80's which sounded less balanced (and more fatiguing) to my ears.

Aug 16, 2010 at 11:52 AM Post #9 of 12

Quote:
I have the goldrings, and I would like to know if getting an amp would make a difference.

What is your source?

Unless you want an amp to colour the sound (e.g. tubes), a properly designed amp is simply designed to make the sound louder.  If your source impedance is higher than the Goldring impedance, you're likely to hear a mild boost at ~100hz too. 

I've found the Goldring to sound exactly the same at similar volumes with all of my amps, and without an amp at equal volume levels.  Does that help?

Aug 19, 2010 at 9:41 PM Post #10 of 12

Quote:
What is your source?

Unless you want an amp to colour the sound (e.g. tubes), a properly designed amp is simply designed to make the sound louder.  If your source impedance is higher than the Goldring impedance, you're likely to hear a mild boost at ~100hz too. 

I've found the Goldring to sound exactly the same at similar volumes with all of my amps, and without an amp at equal volume levels.  Does that help?

Yes this helps very much, thank you for your time.

Sep 14, 2010 at 8:15 PM Post #11 of 12
i ordered the MS1-i and the hippo gumstick.....

i will use them for some time then i will try the GOLDRING DR150 at a store near by...
biggrin.gif
and then choose:D

i am thinking of an ARROW amp.... is it worth?
biggrin.gif

thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back