Goldring DR100
May 7, 2006 at 10:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

Artsenna

New Head-Fier
Hi, am new to headphones and this forum. Was considering the HD595/HD555 and came across the Goldring. I have not tried the DR150 but from what I hv read in the 'official thread' thought i would share some comments about the DR100. The physical difference.

DR100 - £40, Mylar diaphragm, sponge like earpads, ordinary cable
DR150 - £70, Titanium diaphragm, velvet like earpads, QED cable (with metal plugs)

General comments, of the DR100. The gain is rather poor when used with the ipod and discman. Midrange clarity is good but bass is poor. Detail not as good as HD600 i tried but then it is not fair comparison. Overall, build quality, very good but headphones is slightly small and a tight fit.

You do get a lot more for the £30 extra you pay for the DR150. I bought the DR100 because it was either £36 or £100 for the 595.

Do I like it, ...... you do get a lot of head for £36
eggosmile.gif

May 7, 2006 at 1:29 PM Post #2 of 29
Is there any way you could compare these to the DR150s size-wize in a picture? I think you're the first one to post here to take the dive into a lower Goldring then their flagship can. It's not that suprising that for the price you don't get too much can. What source/amp were you using?

May 7, 2006 at 2:09 PM Post #3 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Duke_Of_Eli
Is there any way you could compare these to the DR150s size-wize in a picture? I think you're the first one to post here to take the dive into a lower Goldring then their flagship can. It's not that suprising that for the price you don't get too much can. What source/amp were you using?

They share a lot of the same parts, and are exactly the same size as the
150's.

May 7, 2006 at 2:46 PM Post #4 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by swt61
They share a lot of the same parts, and are exactly the same size as the
150's.

Then why such a different SQ?

May 7, 2006 at 4:53 PM Post #6 of 29
yeah, the mylar vs titanium has to be the difference. still - just for curiousity's sake i'm curious to hear what they sound like. i would hope - as with the DR150s - that they sound better than what they cost. seeing how the DR50s are also a mylar construction i guess the real question is if there is much diff between the 100s and the 50s. more of an apples to apples comparison.

no... i am NOT going to purchase the entire GR family just to compare! i'm not THAT curious.
biggrin.gif

May 7, 2006 at 6:03 PM Post #7 of 29
Yup, am sure that the size and dimensions of the 3 models are the same.

As I mentioned, you do get a lot more with the DR150. ie the titanium diaphragm, QED cable, better quality earpads and wider frequency response. There is also more detail and bass extension with the 150. Guess, thats why no one else here has bought the DR100.

I could live with the headphones as my music is mainly female vocals and male vocals and was concerned with the sibilance of the DR150. its now plugged directly into my Rega Ear with Cambridge Audio 640c V2 source via Metaxas Audio System 'Enosis' interconnects.

May 9, 2006 at 4:54 AM Post #12 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by MdRex
The latest issue of "What Hi-Fi" have a favourable review of the DR100
eggosmile.gif

What?? where?? is there a link of sorts to it?? actually, am really interested in the magazine reviews of the DR150, of which as far as I know, ther are at least 2..

May 11, 2006 at 10:26 PM Post #13 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Duke_Of_Eli
Is anyone going to take the DR50 plunge?

Can understand the difference between the DR150 and DR100 as there are substantial difference.

BUT, not sure what the DR50 is all about as it is only £10 less than the DR100 and the only difference I can see on the goldring site is the synthetic earpads (however, the frequency response and THD is poorer)

However, the Mantra site states that the plugs are nickel plated and not gold plated ??? and some sites state; although have the same drive units, its not 'optimised' like the other 2 models ???

My point is why bother with two very similar models with only £10 difference.

May 12, 2006 at 12:40 AM Post #14 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by MdRex
The latest issue of "What Hi-Fi" have a favourable review of the DR100
eggosmile.gif

Approach with caution, they give out a lot of 5* reviews. Hi-Fi Choice is a far better publication.

May 14, 2006 at 10:27 PM Post #15 of 29
IMO, What Hi Fi is not a hifi magazine, more like an expensive advert leaflet.

I subscribe to HFC and they reviewed the DR100 and 150 together in a quarter page (looks more like a gratuitous mention of a new product to me). they rarely review cans anyway. frankly, you get much more info from this forum!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back