GoldPlanar GL2000 Thread
Apr 17, 2021 at 9:38 AM Post #451 of 560
After so many mods tryouts and dozen of pad swaps, it’s hard to keep accurate recollection for each change that was made. I just remember that sound with D shape perforated pads never agreed with me. But it’s perfectly reasonable to hear others preferring that presentation. Gamers gels is what I settled on at the moment. It’s a personal choice. Glad you like ZMF pads. If I come across cheap pair somewhere, I’ll give them a try.
The gel pads were pretty decent, less bass bloom than the standard large oval. I liked them. Nice and cool on the head when you first put them on as well.

Apr 17, 2021 at 10:28 AM Post #452 of 560
The gel pads were pretty decent, less bass bloom than the standard large oval. I liked them. Nice and cool on the head when you first put them on as well.
They’re a little on a heavier side. GL2K are already borderline tolerable as far as my comfort zone is concern. With mods that open things up and cleans up that smidgen of congestion in midrange, these pads do a fine job. Others are free to tune GLs to whatever makes them happy. Options are almost limitless. :wink:

Apr 17, 2021 at 11:08 AM Post #453 of 560
They’re a little on a heavier side. GL2K are already borderline tolerable as far as my comfort zone is concern. With mods that open things up and cleans up that smidgen of congestion in midrange, these pads do a fine job. Others are free to tune GLs to whatever makes them happy. Options are almost limitless. :wink:
They also EQ pretty well I found, although I do hate EQ'ing headphones. I do really like the GL2000, but the weight really is borderline on being a problem.

Apr 17, 2021 at 6:45 PM Post #454 of 560
First post on Head-Fi. Finally had to make an account for these headphones.

Five days into owning the GL2000. They are like really spicy, really good Thai food. An assault on the senses but I keep coming back for more.

They are physically painful for me. Like, after listening for a few hours I have a wicked headache. I've been putting them on pink noise sweeps and music all night long trying to get them to burn in to be less... harsh?

But it's not harsh-ness. It's something different.

I've been running them mostly though my BTR5 because it's my only balanced amp right now. I've also ran them on my AD18 which is ok. And my Douk P1 Hybrid which is unlistenable. So incredibly painful.

I bought them on Amazon so I could return them but I don't want to... because when I go listen to other headphones I'm disanointed, but these headaches are real.

Do I have a defective pair or are the amps I'm running them with inadequate?
I tried them today on my BTR-5 after quite a while. Have been listening to them from the iFi Zen DAC + CAN stack, from an AK Kann Alpha DAP and over the past few days from the Flux FA-12s class-A, so moving to the BTR-5 they immediately felt harsher and more sibiliant. So yes, these do vary a bit depending on the amp. If you're sensitive to treble, I can see how it might be an issue if the BTR-5 is the only source you're using. I'm not a technical expert, but I suspect they might not be getting the power (current?) they need out of the BTR-5 and sound just a little bit hollow with accentuated highs. So even though the volume can get loud, the body isn't there to the sound.

Apr 17, 2021 at 8:32 PM Post #457 of 560
which pads do users prefer - the leather one of the D pad ?

I prefer the Brainwavz XL gaming gel pads. Out of the stock pads, I prefer the leather ones over the D shaped perforated ones. That said, I did try them out with the D shaped pads for a few days and they definitely fit my head better and resulted in a nicer fit for the headphones. The leather pads tend to not sit in once place when I wear them, and they feel a tad too narrow.

With the brainwavz xl I get the proper fit similar to the D shaped pads, with the sound signature closer to the leather pads.

Apr 17, 2021 at 8:58 PM Post #458 of 560
thanks guys . i find the leather pads i like better but it does not sit well and its hot . the D apds fit better but i dont like the sound . ill try the XL gaming ones

Apr 19, 2021 at 10:16 PM Post #459 of 560
my observations - if u AB this one with other headphones - like for me the ananda - this will sound kinda odd . if i listen to it by itself for a long time no AB , im loving it and its so fun to listen to . u can play with it some genres / songs better on the topping E30/L30 combo , some are better on the xduoo ta10R tube amp . im using the leather padS at this time - i dont like the perforated ones . this thing is huge - i will need to build up the headband to get a better fit . the stock cables are very good already , i used some aftermarket cables that i have for the anada and the stock one is pretty good already . ILL probably test out the other pads like ZMF

Apr 20, 2021 at 7:40 PM Post #460 of 560
I really love my pair! They sound great with the Ifi pro ican. I only use the stock pads. The d shape alter the sound too much and you loose essential bass.

Apr 21, 2021 at 10:21 AM Post #461 of 560
First post on Head-Fi. Finally had to make an account for these headphones.

Five days into owning the GL2000. They are like really spicy, really good Thai food. An assault on the senses but I keep coming back for more.

They are physically painful for me. Like, after listening for a few hours I have a wicked headache. I've been putting them on pink noise sweeps and music all night long trying to get them to burn in to be less... harsh?

But it's not harsh-ness. It's something different.

I've been running them mostly though my BTR5 because it's my only balanced amp right now. I've also ran them on my AD18 which is ok. And my Douk P1 Hybrid which is unlistenable. So incredibly painful.

I bought them on Amazon so I could return them but I don't want to... because when I go listen to other headphones I'm disanointed, but these headaches are real.

Do I have a defective pair or are the amps I'm running them with inadequate?

Ok, So I've now only been listening to them with my Douk Audio P1 (kinda cheap hybrid tube with EQ). Turning down the treble down a couple decibels has made drastic changes. I can now listen to them for an entire work day then some more listening at night with out any headache.

It was 100% amp dependent. Now I just need a more powerful portable amp since my BTR5 isn't cutting it. This hobby is expensive...

Apr 21, 2021 at 10:24 AM Post #462 of 560
Ok, So I've now only been listening to them with my Douk Audio P1 (kinda cheap hybrid tube with EQ). Turning down the treble down a couple decibels has made drastic changes. I can now listen to them for an entire work day then some more listening at night with out any headache.

It was 100% amp dependent. Now I just need a more powerful portable amp since my BTR5 isn't cutting it. This hobby is expensive...
Need to be careful, once you have a more capable and powerful amp, it will feel like it's just begging for higher end headphones.... :)

Apr 21, 2021 at 11:58 AM Post #463 of 560

If you want to keep with something small and not too expensive, grab a Chord Mojo from ebay. Probably cost around £230 used but pristine. Provides lots of power and it's also got a really nice sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back