GoldPlanar GL2000 Thread
Mar 13, 2021 at 4:12 PM Post #361 of 560
How is the bass affected?
The bass seem to be more present after taking both tuning papers out. I didnt notice the bass changed much with one tuning paper out but its a noticeable difference now. It could be the Bi-frost 2 and Jot 2 upgrade that made me realize how much I can hear the sound differently now.

Mar 13, 2021 at 7:31 PM Post #362 of 560
I don’t have large arsenal of amps on hand but amps I do have, can make a case for GL2K scaling ability with various amp topologies/quality. It’s not as finicky as my ADX5000 but it does benefit from good, synergistic pairing.

Mar 14, 2021 at 10:17 PM Post #364 of 560
Since my bi-frost 2 and jot 2 are in, I wanted to do some more testing, I took mine apart again today and removed the dust film and the 2 tuning papers leaving it to reveal the drivers. The headphones just all of a sudden came alive and made me go "whoa" I am hearing things I wasn't hearing before. I think I am going to leave the tuning papers out for now.
I'm thinking of getting a bf2 to replace my mojo. I already have a Jot2. How is the pairing of the bifrost2 with the GL2K?

Mar 14, 2021 at 10:23 PM Post #365 of 560
I'm thinking of getting a bf2 to replace my mojo. I already have a Jot2. How is the pairing of the bifrost2 with the GL2K?
I am still breaking them in but so far this combo already sounds a lot better than my previous amp&dac (smsl sp200 & su-8) The music sound like it has more weight to it , warmer and more opened up.

Mar 14, 2021 at 10:24 PM Post #366 of 560
I never had a Mojo, so I cannot compare to that.

Mar 14, 2021 at 10:30 PM Post #367 of 560
Just tried a bit of listening and comparing of stuff with my own newly arrived Jot 2 / Bifrost 2. Check it out here.

GL2K was probably my favorite listening so far, in some ways, on this gear setup and with mods.

Mar 15, 2021 at 11:55 AM Post #368 of 560
So I swapped out the pads today, and at least initially, I like the sound coming out of the hybrid pads. I have the D-shaped ones and one benefit definitely is that they seem to fit my head and ears more snugly, whereas with the "leather" pads I had to fiddle a bit until I had the right fit on the head. These also seem to be holding their form better and appear to be just slightly deeper than the stock ones.

Interestingly while there is less bass overall compared to the stock pads, I'm feeling as if the bass is more defined with these pads (that might also have to do with how they fit for me). Definitely more separation and better soundstage too. I'm not 100% sure if the mids and vocals are better with these, but that is my initial impression. With the stock pads sometimes the vocals just felt a bit recessed. Will need to listen some more with the hybrids to see how they hold up and then do a A - B comparison with the stock pads to figure out which one's I like better.

Attachments

• GL2000-1.jpg
    GL2000-1.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • GL2000-2.jpg
    GL2000-2.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Mar 17, 2021 at 2:42 PM Post #369 of 560
FYF

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2021 at 1:26 PM Post #373 of 560
which is better
Like I said they are opposites, if you like brighter headphones the treble of M570 easily better. GL2000 is a warm relaxed headphone. Even with its wonky frequency response, channel imbalance of the m570, I still found it speed exceptional and treble extension and performance a next level of liveliness and realism when listening to music that I don't get from GL2000. Still, if your looking for whats "better" if i had to recommend one or the other, GL2000 has less glaring flaws and a more refined product, and easier to listen to for more people. The m570 could get slightly uncomfortable with its treble

Mar 19, 2021 at 1:31 PM Post #374 of 560
Like I said they are opposites, if you like brighter headphones the treble of M570 easily better. GL2000 is a warm relaxed headphone. Even with its wonky frequency response, channel imbalance of the m570, I still found it speed exceptional and treble extension and performance a next level of liveliness and realism when listening to music that I don't get from GL2000. Still, if your looking for whats "better" if i had to recommend one or the other, GL2000 has less glaring flaws and a more refined product, and easier to listen to for more people. The m570 could get slightly uncomfortable with its treble
watched your M570 review, good presentation but don't say stuff like 3D that's soundstage or you will look like me when I review stuff (I'm terrible you're better) get sundara if you want the ultimate "natural" sounding headphone. This kind of puts your comments about DMS GL2000 review into perspective though, so im going to take your words with a grain of salt and use it as a start point for my own research. By the way if your headphones have an actual channel imbalance (as in left and right are different volumes) that should be covered by warranty or you should demand a replacement that is not how headphones are supposed to operate and is considered a defect of QC same as any other.

Mar 19, 2021 at 6:25 PM Post #375 of 560
I modded the GL2000 today. Followed FYFL's guide. As long as you take pictures of the screws before removing, it's easy to disassemble and put back.

I took out the tuning paper AND the paper covering the driver. I left the outermost plastic screen for protection. Using the Brainwavz Gel Pads.

Really liking these now. Only EQ is hardware EQ at 60Hz a few DB up because the GL2000 can handle it easily. Clears up the vocal and cymbal frequencies nicely. Soundstage still expansive. Bass has more impact.

I may replace the outer mesh with the pad paper, but I don't think I need to. Removing those papers and giving these lots of power really open the headphones up.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back