Goldmund V.S. Pioneer !!??
Jan 22, 2008 at 9:41 PM Post #106 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by markl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, how dare they not include a "high-end" remote, you know the one with special high-end functions like the one that stops time and allows me to rob banks, or the one that mutes my wife's nagging! The bastards!
tongue.gif

Dude, that is the remote that works all the functions of the base Pioneer trasport they are using. Why re-invent the wheel unnecessarily? Or, are you just mad they didn't stuff the guts of the Peioneer remote into a fancy metal package, you know, like they did with the rest of the player that already outrages you? D'oh!
tongue.gif
Would you like to pay even more for a fancy box to house that remote in or more still to develop a whole new one that only duplicates the features already provided by the stock remote? Isn't that your basic problem with this Goldmund CDP in the first place?

For $12000 they could have recased the remote to look the same as the player. $20 worth of aluminum and time on the CNC they already have access to would at least show some respect to the suckers they are ripping off!

Jan 22, 2008 at 10:21 PM Post #107 of 164
Quote:

Yeah, how dare they not include a "high-end" remote, you know the one with special high-end functions like the one that stops time and allows me to rob banks, or the one that mutes my wife's nagging! The bastards!
tongue.gif

Dude, that is the remote that works all the functions of the base Pioneer trasport they are using. Why re-invent the wheel unnecessarily? Or, are you just mad they didn't stuff the guts of the Peioneer remote into a fancy metal package, you know, like they did with the rest of the player that already outrages you? D'oh!
tongue.gif
Would you like to pay even more for a fancy box to house that remote in or more still to develop a whole new one that only duplicates the features already provided by the stock remote? Isn't that your basic problem with this Goldmund CDP in the first place?

Are you defending them or kidding around? I can't tell.

Jan 23, 2008 at 7:44 AM Post #108 of 164
Quote:

nah, 6000 quid is priced just right for that Gold sign on plastic remote. i won't pay a single cent more as long as the player comes free with it.

"We, at Goldmund, absolutely never listen to our components before releasing them to the market. But we have a pretty good idea on how they will sound, because we do measure them… "

Jan 23, 2008 at 8:14 AM Post #109 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by sghound /img/forum/go_quote.gif
nah, 6000 quid is priced just right for that Gold sign on plastic remote. i won't pay a single cent more as long as the player comes free with it.

"We, at Goldmund, absolutely never listen to our components before releasing them to the market. But we have a pretty good idea on how they will sound, because we do measure them… "

As for the remote, I think the point is that if they can recase the DVD player itself, why not go all out and recase the remote as well. And it should be as you said for the 6000 quid.

For them never listening to the components, I guess they just come from the side that believes in measurements. That makes sense but then tube components seem to measure not "as good" yet they can sound better to many. In terms of engineering though, measurements are everything I guess.

Jan 26, 2008 at 8:19 PM Post #111 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by OverlordXenu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you defending them or kidding around? I can't tell.

Seriously markl, I cannot. Tone of voice doesn't translate well over the internet, usually, anyway. (I once read an article or something, that was just masterfully written...like a book. It was creepy.)

Jan 27, 2008 at 3:02 AM Post #113 of 164
Huh? A totally passive attenuator?

At least it uses a stepped attenuator...
wink.gif

EDIT: it appears the Etude is a passive line level selector and attenuator. The stepped attenuator has 59 steps in 1dB steps. Given the cost of Cello stuff, 3.5k can be considered a bargain
biggrin.gif

Jan 27, 2008 at 4:16 AM Post #115 of 164
You guys are so funny. Why do you get upset by this? Really I want to know. Is it that you are so outraged by this? And if so why? You obviously are not going to be buying a Goldmund, so what is the point? Some people will and some people won't. Get over it and grow up. I guess this is one of the reasons that many of the original head-fiers no longer post here. Too many self-righteous ****'s that have nothing better to do than complain about what other people do. And they do it from web images, not even from their own comparisons. I'm sorry but this thread is simply a pitiful example of why head-fi has degenerated over the years. Please continue with your self righteous indignation, I think I will listen to some music on my overpriced and woefully inadequate system
rolleyes.gif

Jan 27, 2008 at 4:19 AM Post #116 of 164
Yeah, I was gonna say... The box looks empty, but it's just a source selector and volume attenuator. Stepped attenuators seem to be expensive, so at least the investment will be well-protected with that enclosure.
biggrin.gif

@morphsci, many of us are of the opinion that people deserve to know what they're buying. Sure, people should know better, but if no one opens up a component and looks for themselves, how will anyone know its actual value? Someone in another forum did just that and was able to share with us that a $12,000 player was mostly comprised of components from a sub-$200 player (including the plastic remote control).

Look at it two ways: either the Goldmund is ridiculously overpriced, or the Pioneer DV-585A is a giant killer. Goldmund is relying on suckers who have no concept of value to purchase this piece of equipment, and that's bad business.

Jan 27, 2008 at 4:40 AM Post #117 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by infinitesymphony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@morphsci, many of us are of the opinion that people deserve to know what they're buying. Sure, people should know better, but if no one opens up a component and looks for themselves, how will anyone know its actual value? Someone in another forum did just that and was able to share with us that a $12,000 player was mostly comprised of components from a sub-$200 player (including the plastic remote control).

Look at it two ways: either the Goldmund is ridiculously overpriced, or the Pioneer DV-585A is a giant killer. Goldmund is relying on suckers who have no concept of value to purchase this piece of equipment, and that's bad business.

Sorry, not buying it. When I am in the market for a product I want to know the opinion of people who have heard it, not people who have examined images of it and made proclamations of its worth. Ultimately what I care about is how it sounds and unfortunately that cannot be ascertained by images.

As far as the Etude is concerned, if I was a straight-wire-with-gain kind of guy then I can't see anything wrong with that image. For some people $3500 is not even an amount to think about, let alone be concerned about.

Jan 27, 2008 at 4:54 AM Post #118 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by morphsci /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry, not buying it. When I am in the market for a product I want to know the opinion of people who have heard it, not people who have examined images of it and made proclamations of its worth. Ultimately what I care about is how it sounds and unfortunately that cannot be ascertained by images.

Yes, because some guy who claims to have heard it is higher on the list than people who are able to spot the exact components used in the player. It is the Pioneer DV-585 with a few modifications--there's no question, and Goldmund has all but admitted it. A toroid and some minor transport upgrades won't turn lead into gold.

Jan 27, 2008 at 5:15 AM Post #119 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by infinitesymphony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Goldmund is relying on suckers who have no concept of value to purchase this piece of equipment, and that's bad business.

Playing devils advocate here, but is it really? Bad business? Given the success of that company, is it really? Rebadging is nothing new to ANY industry...you can't condone their behavior, but, kudos to them for being able to successfully target the uninformed consumer, which these days, especially evident with this thread, is quite the task to do. Bad ethics maybe...but bad business, not in the slightest...pretty smart actually. That's alot of profit.

That said, even if I had the money, I sure as hell wouldn't buy that. If anything, I'de pay somebody to do those mods and make a custom case probably prettier, and still have a ton more money in my pocket, lol.

Anybody here have the Pioneer unit???

Jan 27, 2008 at 6:16 AM Post #120 of 164
Quote:

Originally Posted by oicdn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Playing devils advocate here, but is it really? Bad business? Given the success of that company, is it really? Rebadging is nothing new to ANY industry...you can't condone their behavior, but, kudos to them for being able to successfully target the uninformed consumer, which these days, especially evident with this thread, is quite the task to do. Bad ethics maybe...but bad business, not in the slightest...pretty smart actually. That's alot of profit.

Err, yeah, you're right--poor wording on my part. What I really meant was bad business ethics, at least from the standpoint of the consumer. If customers are willing to pay $12,000 for that player, then Goldmund's business sense must be great.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back