Going to the land of the rising sun.
Jul 4, 2005 at 3:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Idiot MD

100+ Head-Fier
In a month I am heading overseas to practice my language skills before the next semester starts (last year's return from summer break without practicing still makes me grimace) and the first planned stop (after I figure out the rail system over there) is Akihabara to buy a digital camera. I am hoping that some kind individuals could provide some insights and warnings on the planned trip. I'm looking to purchase a Canon S2 IS and wondering if it can be purchased locally there for less than $450, Costco's price tag. Also of minor concern (and I plan to visit the local consulate to discuss them) center around any suggested innoculations and bureaucratic paperwork that needs to be addressed. Also, I am curious if Japan's power system is 110v or 220v as I plan to take my Thinkpad along for the ride and possible incompatibilities with my intended purchase for when I bring it home.

Any enlightened souls with insight(s), please comment.

Jul 4, 2005 at 6:49 PM Post #2 of 9
I just got back from what sounds like a similar trip.

Anyway, Akihabara will definitely have what you are looking for, although I have no idea where the best price will be found or what it will be like in comparison to the US's.

As far as tariffs and whatnot, if you are carrying your purchases back with you (in checked luggage or literally carried onto the plane), they make you fill out a form declaring what you have purchased. If you declare more than eight hundred dollars worth of stuff, the form says that they might charge you some sort of tax, but I have always had less than eight hundred worth of stuff.

While I was in Japan I got the 313/404 and carried it back in my luggage with out a problem, so hopefully you will be all right too. Have a good trip. I know that I got a lot out of mine.

Also, if you want to listen to some pretty good headphones, try Dynamic Audio in Akihabara. Check out their website or I guess I could fax you a map or something.

Jul 4, 2005 at 8:21 PM Post #4 of 9
Thanks for the information, The Actual. Sounds like a VAT on purchases exceeding $800, as in 80,000 yen. I take it you had no problems with your electronics purchases connecting to your wall outlet when you got back?

Quote:

Originally Posted by perplex
make sure you bring back some jumbo koi in your back pack!

Heh. I live in one of the best places for fresh seafood and soon I will be going to a country that makes great use of seafood and I don't like seafood.
frown.gif

Jul 4, 2005 at 9:08 PM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Idiot MD
Thanks for the information, The Actual. Sounds like a VAT on purchases exceeding $800, as in 80,000 yen. I take it you had no problems with your electronics purchases connecting to your wall outlet when you got back?

The power supply for the SRM313 is 120-240V, which means that it works fine in the US. I have no idea if most electronics are the same however.

I would check online to see if you can download the manual for the camera you are looking at, or just email the company and see what they say. No matter what though, you should be able to buy an adapter here for less than fifteen dollars so that it works.

Jul 5, 2005 at 12:59 AM Post #6 of 9
Although as surprising as this may sound, but Japan is not the place to buy digital camera.

I find the prices are even more expensive than B&H (USA).

It's the place where you should go visit and come home with a Stax headphones, like what TheActual did.
icon10.gif

Well, at least get an ATH woodie if you don't like Stax.

By the way, KOI is not a seafood ! Too expensive for a seafood!
eek.gif

For the Stax amp, I think the default one is 110V in Japan. You should ask them to reconfigure them to 240V if they know how to do it. Although I saw it on the post here, the picture of how to reconfigure the voltage by yourself.

Jul 5, 2005 at 2:34 AM Post #7 of 9
Ahh man, your going to have a blast. Take me with you! When I went to Nihon, I purchased some expensive items and had no problems with tarriffs, heh heh.

The only real problem your going to have is with food portions they serve. I thought, "where's my super-size grande tofu bowl". I thought I was going to starve to death the first week I was in that country, but after awhile you adapt.

Jul 5, 2005 at 7:43 AM Post #8 of 9
Japan's power system uses 100V, but in the most cases you can use 110V(115V, 117V or whatever) devices without serious problems.

Also S2IS costs approx. 50,000yen ($450 at current rate) at the net shops, you will be very lucky if you find lower price tag even in Akihabara. I doubt if you can.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back