Going to recable Denon D2000, need advice.
Jan 10, 2012 at 1:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Omark12

100+ Head-Fier
I love my D2000 but I hate its cable. The cable is too damn long, the 'Y' split is way to low on the cable, and its very inflexible. Its very inconvenient for portable use (yes I do take my D2ks around). I want to recable them to make the cable shorter and maybe more flexible for portability (though a shorter cable would probably suffice). I want it to terminate into a 3.5mm plug, I use my D2k with my iPhone, Galaxy S, and sound card a lot. I like the sleeve on the D2k cable so I'd like to get sometihng like that if possible. I have heard good things Mogami cables so right off the bat thats what I'm thinking I should go with but I'm not sure I have no experience in recabling. I need advice on:

1. What plug to terminate with
  2. What cable to use (looking at Mogami 2398)
  3. How to sleeve to cable and what to sleeve it with
  4. What to do to make the 'Y' split on the cable clean
I appreciate any help.

Jan 10, 2012 at 3:49 AM Post #2 of 6
Well, this is what im using to recable my denon d1100:

Switchcraft 35HDBAU

Mogami W2893 4 Conductor 26 AWG Miniature Neglex Quad High Definition Microphone Cable

Nylon Expandable Cable Sleeve 3/16" Dia. Black

the last link is canadian. I would suggest you use 3/16 nylon sleeving with the 2893 rather than tech-flex as it will prevent microphonics. the nylon sleeving is just like the stock d2000 cable. For the Y-split i used 1/4 or 3/8 heatshrink. Then after the split i used 1/8" heatshrink, its a tight fit but i got the cable through. Here is the cable i made tonight for my d1100., would work great on d2000 as well. I used a rean 1/4" plug sleeve inside my y-split.

Have a look through the DIY Cable Gallery Thead, thas where i got my inspiration and ideas from.

Jan 10, 2012 at 8:00 PM Post #3 of 6
just finished recabeling them:

Jan 10, 2012 at 8:19 PM Post #4 of 6
Just a heads up, my D2000s (modded into open-backed headphones) sounded more sibilant and bright after recabling them. I'm fairly certain it was not placebo, as the changes were very noticeable. I've heard reports of people saying it made them less sibilant, though...so take my words with a grain of salt. Even with the changes, I kept the new cable simply because of how stupid the stock one is.

Jan 10, 2012 at 11:29 PM Post #5 of 6
How flexible is your cable and how long did you make it. Also did you put shrink tubing for the entire split?

Jan 11, 2012 at 12:12 AM Post #6 of 6
Quote:
How flexible is your cable and how long did you make it. Also did you put shrink tubing for the entire split?

I used Mogami 2534, which is thick but fairly flexible. It has some basic nylon sleeving and shrink tubing covers the y-split. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back