Going to my first purely computer setup, have some questions.
Apr 16, 2007 at 7:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

braker218

100+ Head-Fier
So I have to decided to go to a computer based system for the first time, as it just seems so much easier and centralized.

Anyways, I have looking at various soundcard options and am kind of lost. The main cards I have been looking at are the E-MU 1212M, 0404 PCI or USB, and the ESI Juli@. I don't really care if it is USB or internal.

I plan on running the soundcard directly to my amp (MAD Ear+), and was wondering what would be the best soundcard for me to get. I am kind of leaning towards the 1212M, but I am not sure yet. Any help would be appreciated.

Apr 16, 2007 at 8:30 AM Post #2 of 12
You can also try an entry level soundcard linked through SPDIF to a good quality DAC. There are quite a few inexpensive converters that fare exceptionally well given their price.
You gain an important amount of resolution and musicality out of a decent DAC rather than from a computer soundcard.
And you always have the open possibility of connecting and improving the sound of other digital signal sources like cd/dvd-players etc.

Apr 16, 2007 at 10:03 AM Post #3 of 12
Further to that, if you don't mind going USB, and you intend to run straight to your Mapletree, you could also look at a USB Dac and skip the soundcard all together. Just a thought...

Personally I've done as audiofil suggested, but that is because I already had the DAC/ADC (in my MD deck) so I could get away with a very inexpensive soundcard which had SPDIF in/out, but if you don't already have a DAC, it'd be worth looking at.

Apr 16, 2007 at 10:27 AM Post #4 of 12
hmmm there is soundcards with great DACS you know
wink.gif

Many actually uses the same then in external DACs...

But external DACS have the portability going for them but since you don´t want that go for a soundcard. Can do so much more then an external DAC...

Apr 16, 2007 at 12:36 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by braker218 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyways, I have looking at various soundcard options and am kind of lost. The main cards I have been looking at are the E-MU 1212M, 0404 PCI or USB, and the ESI Juli@. I don't really care if it is USB or internal.

If your soundcard will be near your amplifier: 1212m or 0404PCI.
If it will be far away from the amplifier: 0202 or 0404 USB.
If you need flexibility go with USB.

Apr 16, 2007 at 5:02 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by oqvist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hmmm there is soundcards with great DACS you know
wink.gif

Many actually uses the same then in external DACs...

But external DACS have the portability going for them but since you don´t want that go for a soundcard. Can do so much more then an external DAC...

There is more to a DAC than just a conversion chip.
You will find that the power supply, clocking circuit and output stage are a lot more critical and substantial in the output quality than the simple choice of one chip. In these 3 aspects most soundcards just plain ... suck!

Apr 16, 2007 at 10:02 PM Post #7 of 12
Similar to what has been said, and depending upon your budget, you could get a simple card like a AV710 and feed the optical out to something like dac-ah or zhaolu and for the ~$200 it would cost, it would most likely sound significantly better than an onboard sound card.

There is always the squeezebox option as well....

Apr 17, 2007 at 12:25 AM Post #9 of 12
How does the HeadRoom Micro DAC compare to the PORTA CORDA MkIII-USB? The CORDA is also a headphone amp where the HeadRoom is only a DAC, and the CORDA is $75 less to boot. I would expect the HeadRoom to be noticeably better considering it's a dedicated DAC, but I'm curious if anyone has compared the two directly.

Apr 17, 2007 at 7:12 AM Post #10 of 12
So it seems the majority of people think that an external DAC with a basic soundcard would be the best option. This leads me to another question.

Would an external DAC (such as the MicroDAC) sound significantly better that say an E-MU 1212M? Basically would the sound be better enough through the micro dac to warrant spending the extra $150 difference in price?

Apr 17, 2007 at 7:15 AM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by braker218 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So it seems the majority of people think that an external DAC with a basic soundcard would be the best option. This leads me to another question.

Would an external DAC (such as the MicroDAC) sound significantly better that say an E-MU 1212M? Basically would the sound be better enough through the micro dac to warrant spending the extra $150 difference in price?

depends. some say yes, some say no. you just gotta listen for yourself.

i'm beginning to believe that sub $200 DACs/Amps/headphones already serve me fully...
rolleyes.gif

Apr 17, 2007 at 10:33 AM Post #12 of 12
I have a Juli@ connected to a Ear+. This was my choice after listening to my 1212m for a while. Don't get me wrong..the 1212m is a great card and either one will work just fine..I just like the sound of the Juli@ and the ease of installation. Bought some nice IC's and that also helped. Just my worthless opinion

Users who are viewing this thread

Back