Going to get to listen to my HD600 w/o amp
Mar 31, 2002 at 8:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Multi

100+ Head-Fier
...for a while. I'm going to receive my HD600s sometime this week and probably won't be able to get my hands an an amp for a little bit (I'm in line I think
smily_headphones1.gif
). I hope being ampless w/ a HD600 won't be as bad as everyone says it is.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 31, 2002 at 10:04 AM Post #3 of 7
Multi,

Which amp do you have on the way? A JMT?

Some sources will clip with the HD600 and that will sound bad. Most sources won't clip often if the volume is at a decent level but may sound a little thin compared to how the HD600 sounds with an amp. Either way, I'm sure it will only make you appreciate the amp more when it does arrive. Maybe you could post your comparrisons to help convince the amp naysayers.

Mar 31, 2002 at 8:35 PM Post #4 of 7
Nick,

Let's just say that I'm sure that they won't be able to drive the HD 600s, my source is pretty weak.
redface.gif

Kelly,

Well I don't have it on the way exactly, I talked to JMT, but being that he's a busy guy I'm not sure what's going on, but I hope I'm on his list
smily_headphones1.gif
. I was thinking about just stepping up and buying an entry level amp, but it's scary
smily_headphones1.gif
. I'll be sure to post my experience w/ and w/o an amp, if I notice a difference
very_evil_smiley.gif
. I wonder how it'll sound unamped and unburned-in.

Mar 31, 2002 at 9:50 PM Post #5 of 7
bleh.

damn all the naysayers!
hd-600 sounds just fine without an amp.
glorious in fact I would say, if you are upgrading from something much less.

but... keep in mind that the hd-600 has an awful lot of potential that can still be unleashed with the help of a good amp.

I was plenty happy with the hd-600 before I got the SHA-1. I wouldn't say that I would go back to listening to them without an amp, but for a lot less money, you are still getting damn good performance.

Maybe there should be a "Team Unamped HD-600"

Driftwood

Mar 31, 2002 at 10:09 PM Post #6 of 7
The thing with unamped senns is that although they still sound good, they sound poor (objectively) compared to grados and other low impedence-high efficiency phones.

When senns are amped, the preference becomes subjective.

Mar 31, 2002 at 11:26 PM Post #7 of 7
Maybe there should be a "Team Unamped HD-600"
----------------------------------------------------------------

Chugalug-Chugalug-Chugalug-Chugalug- says the Grado/Honda owner to the Sennheiser/Chevy Suburban owner!!
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back