Going to get the hd650s unless someone has some last minute suggestions.
Feb 5, 2012 at 4:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

pHEnomIC

100+ Head-Fier
I currently have the d5000s and a audio-gd compass dac/amp combo.  I love this setup but kinda want to add another toy to the mix, thought maybe an open headphone.

I think i am leaning towards the sennheiser hd650 and am about ready to buy em if i can a good deal on em.

Anyone want to throw in some last minute advice or suggestions? Anything else i should consider?

Listen to mostly rock, techno, but a little bit of everything. Mostly flacs and hi bitrate mp3s.

Feb 5, 2012 at 4:52 PM Post #2 of 6
Are you a bass head type of guy, or are you looking for a flat sounding headphone? The HD650 is very good, quite musical, warm, and smooth. I like the HD600 more because it sounds more balanced and tame while retaining the same overall character as the HD650. I also really liked the DT880 pro. They sounded more detailed and analytical then the HD650 but still had a good bass slam and extension. I recommend checking them out. 

Feb 5, 2012 at 5:06 PM Post #3 of 6

Quote:
Are you a bass head type of guy, or are you looking for a flat sounding headphone? The HD650 is very good, quite musical, warm, and smooth. I like the HD600 more because it sounds more balanced and tame while retaining the same overall character as the HD650. I also really liked the DT880 pro. They sounded more detailed and analytical then the HD650 but still had a good bass slam and extension. I recommend checking them out. 

+1

Feb 5, 2012 at 8:03 PM Post #5 of 6
The HD650 is a chameleon. I never believed in its scalability until I heard it with different setups. On some, they sounded fast and lively, intimate with others,. My HD600 doesn't have that same characteristic, as it basically retains the same neutral sound across different setups.

Feb 6, 2012 at 2:40 AM Post #6 of 6
Love the 650 with my Ray Samuels Raptor. Bass and soundstaging are both very good. Both smooth and detailed. Not my go-to choice for rock, however. I use them mainly for jazz and classical.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back