going to demo RS-1, RS-2 - what music?
Aug 8, 2008 at 10:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

eruditass

Previously known as DoomzDayz
I may be demoing an RS1 and RS2 system in the near future, what genres and recordings bring out the best AND the worst of these headphones?

I have a DT880 for reference.

what i've heard are the +'s
-speed
-PRAT
-intimacy of certain recordings like jazz, rock, metal
-distorted guitars
-cymbals, hi hats, etc

minuses:
-soundstage for orceshtras, ambient - soundscape type music
-tonality of classical instruments, (piano?)
-tonality of low end - there is a hump? low end extension bad, midrange of drums covered up by the mid bass?

Aug 9, 2008 at 12:57 AM Post #2 of 18
First Impression Music Inc - Home Page - "This is K2 HD", Tsuyoshi Yamamoto "Smooth Jazz Festival", "Jazz at the Pawnshop", "Super Double Bass" - all in XRCD or XRCD2 which normal CD players benefit from.

Then Gunea Pig "Kool Kats" jazz CD, Holly Cole "Temptation", Allison Krauss "So Long, So Wrong", Herbie Hancock "River: The Joni Letters", Diana Krall "Girl in the Other Room",

Aug 9, 2008 at 1:44 AM Post #3 of 18
Use recordings that are decent quality and that you are very familiar with. That's the only way.

Also, what the heck is PRAT?

Aug 9, 2008 at 4:25 AM Post #5 of 18
the best stuff to take along is what you will listen to most. then again, if you already have the 880's, you can specialize. I believe the rs series excels in jazz and vocals, where the bass is not pushed. I found they often sounded weak to me with heavy bass albums. I also found the guitar and rock organ sound to be piercing. but the pair I listened to were not fully burned in IMHO. good luck.

Aug 9, 2008 at 8:13 AM Post #6 of 18
Just use recordings that you know well, and which have nice quality.
Thats the recommended way...

Aug 9, 2008 at 1:18 PM Post #7 of 18
Unplugged - Eric Claption
biggrin.gif

Aug 9, 2008 at 3:39 PM Post #10 of 18
Bringing unfamiliar, well-recorded music will show off nothing save for the production and mastering quality of the album or song. Take along instead music you enjoy now, and music you find unjustified by the DT-880's sound signature. Your favorite albums will serve as baselines: this is music most frequently found in your rotation, and thus music whose nuances and sonic characteristics can be most easily identified. On the opposite side, albums you find lacking on the DT-880's are easy ways of identifying the flaws or strengths of Grado's Reference Series; you'll know instantly whether the headphones work well with a certain genre, or fall short of greatness.

Hope that helped,
Nick

Aug 9, 2008 at 4:53 PM Post #11 of 18
^ X2
I'd take three types of recordings:

-Music you enjoy and that sounds good to you using the Beyers.
- Music you know you like but doesn't sound right with your current cans.
- Music you don't know how you care for it, and you believe your current cans might be spoiling.

Taking highest quality audiophile recordings is quite pointless. Mostly for the fact that very good recordings only sound crappy on very flawed systems, and to know a system is crappy, you just need five seconds using whatever music there's around.

Rgrds

Aug 9, 2008 at 5:02 PM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
PRaT = Pace Rythm and Tempo

I thought it was Pase Rythm and Timing.

Aug 9, 2008 at 5:07 PM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by nor_spoon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought it was Pase Rythm and Timing.

In fact I believed it stands for Pace, Rythm, Attack, Timing. But Tempo is the italian word for time as used in music scripts, so probably the concept is cleared.

Rgrds

Aug 9, 2008 at 5:10 PM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cool_Torpedo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In fact I believed it stands for Pace, Rythm, Attack, Timing. But Tempo is the italian word for time as used in music scripts, so probably the concept is cleared.

Rgrds

Yep, also seen Pace, Rythm Acceleration and Timing. Some slight variations.

Aug 9, 2008 at 5:20 PM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by nor_spoon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yep, also seen Pace, Rythm Acceleration and Timing. Some slight variations.

Sure! I read that one too hahahaha. Anyway, it's an useful acronym to express everything into the music that's related to keeping the beat and get your toes tapping.

Going back to the topic, I think most Grado phones have excellent PRAT properties.

Rgrds

Users who are viewing this thread

Back