Going to Budapest next year, so need some tips pls
Dec 22, 2007 at 4:42 AM Post #16 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackmore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Tokaj wine, inst? Which brandy, do you have a name of a good one
cool.gif

Hungarian brandy is called palinka. Ask for it by name at a restaurant and they will take care of you. It is pretty strong .

Dec 22, 2007 at 7:19 AM Post #17 of 28
What do you mean by strong, sharp taste or just alcohol presense. If alcohol, I think I can handle
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by gtp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hungarian brandy is called palinka. Ask for it by name at a restaurant and they will take care of you. It is pretty strong .

Dec 22, 2007 at 2:45 PM Post #18 of 28
Quote:

It tastes like radioactive asphalt. Seriously.

I did enjoy Budapest when I went last year. It was on a business trip, and I didn't get to do any extensive sightseeing, but we did eat at a few nice restaurants, I'm sorry I don't recall the names.

That said, Budapest wasn't quite what I expected. It's a lot more like, say, Cleveland, than someplace like Munich, for example. Budapest was kind of dirty, lots of graffiti and homeless. There were certainly nice parts, but I'm not in any big hurry to go back. People were friendly for sure, and it wasn't too hard to get around on English, and it was fairly inexpensive compared to many European cities (although I was there before the Dollar's big decline).

Dec 22, 2007 at 3:52 PM Post #19 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackmore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What do you mean by strong, sharp taste or just alcohol presense.

Yes to all
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
. What you really need to try is the Hungarian national liqueur: Unicum. It is medicine from the 1800s. Like Jaegermeister++++. It is painfully wonderful.

Given time, I also recommend a boat ride up the Danube to Szentendre. Nice trip, nice town.

Dec 22, 2007 at 5:27 PM Post #20 of 28
Palinka is not the hungarian brandy
smily_headphones1.gif

palinka is made of fruits. Imo the bests are made of Plum (szilva pálinka) and peach (barack pálinka). They are a bit stronger than usual drinks.

DRINKS:

My absolute favourite:
Vilmos Köre - pálinka made of pear... Try it out!
vilmos-hatterkep-800-1.jpg

Pálinka made of peach,"Fütyülős"
6672.jpg

Other classic Hungarian Drink, Unicum:
unicum.jpg

It's made of herbs. It has a bit stronger and has a much more characteristical taste like JagerMeister.

I would not suggest Hungarian beers,'cause they suck compared to czech ones which you can easily get in Budapest. (Staropramen, Pilsner Urguell, Krusovice to suggest some)

If you like vine, try out the "Egri Bikavér"
egri_bikaver_toth_istvan_2002_250.jpg

and "Tokai Aszú"
aszu.jpg

A good place to go to taste Hungarian vines: House of Hungarian Wines It's a little tricky place... You pay circa 3500 Hungarian forints (around 20 $) and you can stay for 2 hours, but you can drink as much as you can
smily_headphones1.gif
))
it's near Fortuna Étterem (see down at the restaurant section)

FOOD:
I would suggest:

"Hortobágyi Húsos Palacsinta" It's a special Pancake filled with meat. (apetizer)
kep_felpanzio16.jpg

"Csirkepaprikás" - Classic Hungarian Food, i can't describe or translate (main food)
csirkeporkolt.jpg

1962.jpg

"Somlói galuska" (dessert)
somloi_galuska.jpg

And you can always try, the classic hungarian sausages
"csabai" "gyulai" etc.
kolbaszpalinka_13.jpg

RESTAURANTS:

Gundel Restaurant: Maybe the Best in Budapest, 1st class and a bit expensive, but really good. It's near to "Hősök Tere" Gundel Étterem

Sir Lancelot's Restaurant
: Sir Lancelot Medieval Restaurant one of my favourites...

Fortuna Restaurant: Budavári Fortuna Restaurant

PLACES TO SEE:

Hősök Tere:
heroes.jpg

Budapest_097.jpg

Parliamental Building:
800px-Budapest_Parlament1.jpg

Castle of Buda:
Budacastle.jpg

you can see more at: Budapest - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Enjoy your stay.

Szabi

Dec 23, 2007 at 3:42 AM Post #21 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Szabi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Palinka is not the hungarian brandy
smily_headphones1.gif

palinka is made of fruits. "Csirkepaprikás" - Classic Hungarian Food, i can't describe or translate (main food)
csirkeporkolt.jpg

Szabi

Looks like my mom's
biggrin.gif
!!!!!

For desert, I would take makos torta myself
biggrin.gif

Dec 23, 2007 at 4:19 AM Post #22 of 28
I was in Monor for a week about 5 years ago. Monor was about 30 minutes from Budapest if my memory hasn't failed me yet. I never had time to do any extensive sight seeing, but was able to roam around a couple evenings and enjoyed the place.

I stayed in an old hotel with a thatched roof. I felt like I went back in time. The place was in good shape and quite comfortable.

I have to say the the women were incredibly beautiful. That had to be the first thing I noticed in Hungary.

My meals seemed to always be steak and potatoes. They had more variations of both than I ever imagined. I never got tired of it. (I love steak and potatoes anyway) I had a lot of meals in the basements of building downtown. Again, it was like going back in time a couple hundred years.

I'm sure this isn't any help. I had no idea what to expect. It wasn't a modern city by American standards, but it had a lot of character and was a fun place to visit. I'd go back in a heartbeat!

Dec 23, 2007 at 1:21 PM Post #23 of 28
Quote:

Looks like my mom's
biggrin.gif
!!!!!

For desert, I would take makos torta myself
biggrin.gif

You mean "makos teszta" right?
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 24, 2007 at 5:14 PM Post #25 of 28
Quote:

smily_headphones1.gif

Maybe torta isn't the right work, I guess it is a makos "roll":
1778.jpg

Also love makos palacsinta. Pretty much anything with poppy seed. It is really difficult to find (not canned) poppy seed here.

Dec 24, 2007 at 5:17 PM Post #26 of 28
Quote:

smily_headphones1.gif

PS: My mom made dobostorta for tonight. I'm looking forward to it
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
!!!

Dec 25, 2007 at 1:32 AM Post #27 of 28
Quote:

Maybe torta isn't the right work, I guess it is a makos "roll":
1778.jpg

Also love makos palacsinta. Pretty much anything with poppy seed. It is really difficult to find (not canned) poppy seed here.

Okay!!! It's called Mákos Kalács
smily_headphones1.gif

By the end of the year, at least 1% of the Head-Fi community will know a bit of the Hungarian language
smily_headphones1.gif
My english still sucks tho!
smily_headphones1.gif

P.S: I'm a bit surprised that i'm the only one Hungarian who found this thread. Maybe there are no other Hungarian Headfi members at all?

Jan 5, 2008 at 9:32 PM Post #28 of 28
Sipos (Sheeposh)

There is Sipos and old Sipos. I've been to old Sipos, great! Authentic Hungarian complete with Gypsy musicians but patronized by locals, incredible food. I've heard Sipos is also great and is closer to the city center (Old Sipos is in north Buda)

Carpathian at Ferenciak Tere, in Pest but very close to the bridge south of the old chain bridge. Again old style, excellent. They have a serious formal restaurant with musicians and white tablecloths and all. There is also beer house, still nice, great food, beer.

Koleves (Kolevesh). It means stone soup. Good modern hungarian with western influence. Has free wifi and eggs so is great for weekend brunch. Also great dinner of course. On Kazinszy ut just north of Wesileniye near the city center. Really it's not far behind the huge Synogogue in the old jewish quarter.

On Wesileniye ut in district 7 there is a great Tea House, also with free wifi. And there is another near List Ference ter (near oktogon). Very different, both great.

Of course there is New York cafe on Erzhibet. One of last remnants of the old imperial style. Go and have coffee; and dessert if you like.

There is all the regular tour book stuff, Buda Castle, citadel, opera house, Hero's Square, Museum ofAart but one thing that is frequently overlooked is the new palace of arts in south pest on the river. Take the 2 train (the little yellow one that runs along the river). The modern art museum is there which is quite amazing.

Just don't skip the Szechenyi Baths.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back