Going to Asia...what should I get for a souvenir?
Apr 2, 2004 at 4:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

superiorWANG

New Head-Fier
Hi Everyone,

I'm taking a trip to Japan, Hong Kong, and Taiwan. What kind of headphone related stuff (headphones, amp, accessories) should I get that are either

a) not availiable here
b) significantly cheaper than here
("here" being north america)

and where (what city and/or even better, what store)? Please supply approximate prices if possible so I know how much $$$ to bring
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks!

(I'm sorry if this is the wrong forum, but I wasn't sure where to put it because the question is so general!)

Apr 2, 2004 at 5:07 PM Post #3 of 27
NONO,that's a terrible mistake.
For example,in Japan,ATH CM7TI is usually sold at $125.
It seems much cheaper than u bought it in US,right?

Apr 2, 2004 at 5:46 PM Post #4 of 27
These might be to much money for you but these are 3 things that you could try to buy.
Sony mdr-r10 you can prob find one under $2500 new
ATH-w2002 -try to see if you can find one new( be around 850 or less)
ATH-l3000- try can get one for under $1800 new

Apr 2, 2004 at 5:56 PM Post #5 of 27
While in HK, you must go to Shenzen which is across the bridge from HK. Many hi-fi equipments are now made in China, ie Quad, Wharfedale, Music Hall, Shanling, Xiang Shen, Cayin. Great prices directly from manufacturers
wink.gif

Check out some booty in Shenzen karaoke bars!!!
Once I saw 500 gals working in a bar
very_evil_smiley.gif

Crazy stuff!!!

Apr 2, 2004 at 6:19 PM Post #6 of 27
While in HK, you should check out the dealers who specialize in Chinese made vacuum tube headphone amps.

A couple of companies that you should check out.
Opera
Original (The Master headphone amp!!)
www.original-cd.com.cn
Xindak

Japanese headphones are usually cheaper in HK than in the USA/Canada.

Apr 2, 2004 at 7:04 PM Post #7 of 27
Grab one of the new MG Head MKIIIs while in Hong Kong

Apr 2, 2004 at 7:51 PM Post #9 of 27
I'm going to find out! Their CDP aren't bad in the HK world. Lots of people have been raving about their CDP. As for their headphone amp...the only report I've read is from SGheadphones.com (the other headphone forum). It has been a positive review so far.

Look for my full review after June when I come back with some goodies from Original.
600smile.gif

Apr 2, 2004 at 7:56 PM Post #10 of 27
I wouldn't know much about the headphones in those areas... but as far as I am aware, many places sell MDs instead of CDs. Pick up some funky looking MD player there... tons people like to share music like that.

Apr 2, 2004 at 8:01 PM Post #11 of 27
"Original" Master Headphone amp:
+ external power supply.

A roughly translated spec:
- Power fission design, toroid transformer with Independent external power supply
structure housed in a close aluminium alloy chasis.
- Pseudo Aluminium n Acrylic housing
- ALPS micro-volume pot.
- Independent R/L channels design.
- Two 5532 op amp.
- Profesional 6 pin power input receptacle.
- S/N Ratio:100dB
- Distortion Factor:0.0015%
- Dynamic Range:96dB
- Frequency Response:5Hz-20KHz

Apr 3, 2004 at 7:33 PM Post #14 of 27
Quote:

Originally posted by Lostlamb
I'm going to find out! Their CDP aren't bad in the HK world. Lots of people have been raving about their CDP. As for their headphone amp...the only report I've read is from SGheadphones.com (the other headphone forum). It has been a positive review so far.

Look for my full review after June when I come back with some goodies from Original.
600smile.gif

Hey that sounds good, I might have to get a CDP too! How the hell am I going to carry this all back home!?
smily_headphones1.gif

Do you know if Japanese headphones and componenets will be cheaper in HK compared to Japan? I've heard pretty much everything is really expensive in Japan, but I wasn't sure if this applies to Japanese electronics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back