Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Sep 20, 2022 at 10:20 PM Post #47,821 of 61,383
Unfortunately I don't think so. I don't think the EXs have a lot more further potential for noise cancelling/isolation anyway because the fit is so incredibly shallow in the ear. Makes them super comfy but I'm not optimistic for much further improvements on the ANC front
I don't notice anything significant either on this front. Better ambient on them would be killer for me as I still fall back to my APPs for any calls due to the occlusion effect.

Sep 20, 2022 at 11:30 PM Post #47,822 of 61,383
I don't notice anything significant either on this front. Better ambient on them would be killer for me as I still fall back to my APPs for any calls due to the occlusion effect.
I’m toying with the idea getting the EQ since the EX fall short in some areas.
As a main pair I need something with good ambient mode, call quality and respectable ANC. Oh well 😝

Sep 20, 2022 at 11:46 PM Post #47,823 of 61,383
I’m toying with the idea getting the EQ since the EX fall short in some areas.
As a main pair I need something with good ambient mode, call quality and respectable ANC. Oh well 😝
Unfortunately the only way I can really test the ANC nowadays is with my lawn equipment ever since the stupid virus put me in house arrest :frowning2: For calls, I think the EXs might be better on the receiving end based on feedback I have gotten, but not sure by how much. Can probably get a great deal on the EQs nowadays though :D

Sep 21, 2022 at 2:39 AM Post #47,824 of 61,383
As a Zoom/Teams/WebEx addict and a Bose QC original owner, I’ve been concerned about buying the QC2 because of several reports of bad voice quality though everything else seems improved. I found this test on YouTube

Which seems pretty good to me… oh and he has a unique test at 5m45s in that I’ve not seen anyone else try…

Sep 21, 2022 at 3:17 AM Post #47,825 of 61,383
FYI, although you've probably already tried it, I switched to GBoard and my typing & swipes are 98% better. Guess that was the issue for me. Samsung's keyboard swipe and dictation is meh. GBoard and Swiftkey evidently are the way to go.
I peered over this conversation about swipe typing and was on the cusp of suggesting Gboard if it weren’t to be mentioned, but you ended up doing so!

Been using Gboard intermittently for a long time now and nothing else. Swipe typing has become the default for me now!

Also love backing up my personal dictionary from previous devices to be used on my current device! I have a niggle for curly quotes, and being able to move my corrections from one device is relieving. 😜

Sep 21, 2022 at 3:45 AM Post #47,826 of 61,383
Recently received the Buds2 Pro and wanted to share some quick thoughts compared to my other buds (B&O EQ and WF-1000MX4).

My ratings:
1. Sony WF-1000MX4 (9/10)
2. Galaxy Buds2 Pro (8.5/10)
3. B&O EQ (4/10)

Sony WF-1000MX4 - The best all-rounder, still the ANC king that works in windy conditions. The sound quality is really good after some tweaking of the EQ and totally competent in every department.

Galaxy Buds2 Pro - Impressed with how compact these are, almost half the size of the Sony. The buds disappear into my ears and are very comfortable, the most comfortable out of the 3. ANC is acceptable at about 80% performance of the Sony at a guess and can be used outside if slightly windy without too much annoyance. Sounds wise for me, they don't sound as pleasing as the Sony, quality wise they are about the same. The Buds2 is bassy and quite forward sounding which can make it feel cramped, could it be the compact size? It doesn't have the airy smoothness of the Sony. Connection when using a Samsung phone is great, connects instantly when you take it out of the case and have not experienced any BT drops.

B&O EQ - The best sounding buds, clarity and separation are unrivaled, but apart from that almost everything else is rubbish. ANC is average and only useable indoors, take it outside and if someone farts in front of you, it will sound like you're walking in gale-force winds. The buds are also on the bulky side and have a tendency to slowly try and escape from your ear hole. It wouldn't so bad if the touch control wasn't so overly sensitive and the touch area so large, that a slight touch of the bud will launch random actions. BT connection seemed fine and not experienced any drops. But the setup process and app are just awful.
Which Samsung phone you are using? Have you noticed a drastic difference when using LDAC vs AAC for the XM4? Some users here and elsewhere have reported the XM4 sounds warmer with LDAC turned on, while I have noticed the Liberty 3 Pro has the opposite effect where it sounds brighter and borderline sibilant with LDAC.

I have the Note 9 and the Buds2 and Buds+ struggle to maintain a high bitrate when WiFi is connected, leading to treble distortion. It's not as noticeable on the Buds+ as the treble is quite forward and thick to begin with, but on certain tracks I notice the treble double up and become more splashy. Changing to AAC eliminates the issue, but is very tedious because they ALWAYS default to Scalable the next time I power on the earbuds. I'm not sure when I will be replacing my phone (but with all these issues, in due time), but this makes me reluctant to try another Samsung Scalable device.

It seems to me like Samsung Scalable is only optimized for the latest devices. I suspect the reason Samsung is not supporting AptX HD/LL/Adaptive is that they do not use Qualcomm parts for Bluetooth/WiFi (only for the processor) - the S21 and previous phones used a Murata BT5.0 chip while S21 Ultra and S22 Ultra use a Broadcom chip which appears to go hand-in-hand with the Broadcom chip of the Galaxy Buds series. They could theoretically load those AptX drivers but don't seem to be bothered with it.

Sep 21, 2022 at 5:47 AM Post #47,827 of 61,383
For lucky people people using a samsung ZFold4 smartphone .. clearly after one month of using the Samsung Buds2 pro, with the dedicated lossless 24-48 codec, we have a nice wireless IEM with Neutron Player ..More over it seems there are no impacts of the ANC (when needed) on the frequency response ..
With such combo (ZFold4 + Buds2 pro) it's difficult not to find the very small and comfortable Buds2 pro nearly, if not, as good as my Sennheiser IE600 + FIIO BTR7 for a fraction of the price...

1663753486021.png

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2022 at 2:35 PM Post #47,828 of 61,383
QCII just came in and the ANC sounds like it could be the best I've ever "heard" ! It does even better than my current goto ANC earbuds, the EarFun Free Pro 2. QC15 are left behind too, impressive !
Will try running with them tomorrow.

Sep 21, 2022 at 3:08 PM Post #47,830 of 61,383
Any ear tips you guys like in particular for tws?
With the Samsung Buds2 Pro .. I prefer the Spinfit CP 100-L, though SednaEarfit Crystal for buds pro are not bad at all (far better than samsung stock tips), but Spinfit are maybe bringing some more ultra low frequencies and are the most comfortable for my ears for 10 hours or more per day.

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2022 at 3:13 PM Post #47,831 of 61,383
With the Samsung Buds2 Pro .. I prefer the Spinfit CP 100-L, though SednaEarfit Crystal for buds pro are not bad at all (far better than samsung stock tips), but Spinfit are maybe bringing some more ultra low frequencies and are the most comfortable for my ears for 10 hours or more per day.

Would you say either of these pick up a lot of dust?

Sep 21, 2022 at 3:42 PM Post #47,832 of 61,383
Which Samsung phone you are using? Have you noticed a drastic difference when using LDAC vs AAC for the XM4? Some users here and elsewhere have reported the XM4 sounds warmer with LDAC turned on, while I have noticed the Liberty 3 Pro has the opposite effect where it sounds brighter and borderline sibilant with LDAC.

I'm using a Fold 4. My XM4 is set to LDAC, haven't done any comparisons with AAC.

Sep 21, 2022 at 3:57 PM Post #47,833 of 61,383
Would you say either of these pick up a lot of dust?
No not the CP 100 ... those are really the easiest to use.. not sticky, they don't keep any dust, they don't need to be wet to fit quickly in the ears.. they look always very clean.
SednaEarfit Crystal are another story..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back