Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Aug 9, 2022 at 7:50 PM Post #47,116 of 62,016
Same here 👌🏻
Me three :wink:

As far as I know, these are the only buds that accumulate ‘up time’ in the app (in the buds?) and make it very easy to follow just how many hours of usage they get. I wish more buds had that.
E79E54F8-C759-46EF-B698-D9B3830E199C.jpeg

Aug 9, 2022 at 8:24 PM Post #47,117 of 62,016
These Huawei FreeBuds Pro 2 are surprisingly great. Couldn't resist checking them out due to the Devialet involvement. Using them on an iPhone 13 Pro. App seems to work just fine. Light, wireless charging, great separation, soundstage and full sound. ANC is good, but I'm having issues with a seal. They use proprietary tips (AirPods Pro knock off) but a different shape so I can't put on my own tips. If anyone knows a fix, let me know!

All the above said, I feel like someone is following me. Ugh.

Attachments

• 0F89B5B6-08FD-42F8-8AE6-1844A9A4B686.jpeg
    0F89B5B6-08FD-42F8-8AE6-1844A9A4B686.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Aug 9, 2022 at 8:29 PM Post #47,118 of 62,016
These Huawei FreeBuds Pro 2 are surprisingly great. Couldn't resist checking them out due to the Devialet involvement. Using them on an iPhone 13 Pro. App seems to work just fine. Light, wireless charging, great separation, soundstage and full sound. ANC is good, but I'm having issues with a seal. They use proprietary tips (AirPods Pro knock off) but a different shape so I can't put on my own tips. If anyone knows a fix, let me know!

hmmm .. tempting .. amazon JP has a 10% off coupon at the moment ... still 178USD ... and I really do not NEED another set :D

I hope I can stay strong until the APP2 .. and abstain from new purchases ...

(edit: oh, great, e-earphone has a used set in mint condition for 141USD ... noooooo)

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2022 at 11:21 PM Post #47,119 of 62,016
I often here that whine ... it's my tinitus that comes and goes ..
Never get it quiet enough here to notice these things .. if i really listen really hard I am sure I can even here the sea in the distance ...
Have you tried this technique? http://health.learninginfo.org/tinnitus.htm

It looks funny doing it but it helped mine go away a month or so ago. Now I try to listen at like 70 db or less

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2022 at 11:23 PM Post #47,120 of 62,016
hmmm .. tempting .. amazon JP has a 10% off coupon at the moment ... still 178USD ... and I really do not NEED another set :D

I hope I can stay strong until the APP2 .. and abstain from new purchases ...

(edit: oh, great, e-earphone has a used set in mint condition for 141USD ... noooooo)
Thanks for tip. Had the blue ones but preferred the white and just purchased

Aug 10, 2022 at 12:51 AM Post #47,121 of 62,016
Thanks for tip. Had the blue ones but preferred the white and just purchased
i thought those were the blue ones they had shown ...

Cursor_and_商品検索一覧ページ___e☆イヤホン.jpg

Thanks for taking this temptation off my plate :)

How you deal with online ordering from e-earphone? I have not figured it out yet, language barrier ... unless they use amazon pay?

Or maybe you meant the tip with amazon japan 10% off ..

The ones at e-earphone are gone anyways

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2022 at 4:10 AM Post #47,122 of 62,016

You can try to cannibalize some spare foam tips and add foam underneath the proprietary Huawei tips. Pretty much the only option that comes to mind.

Think Symbio hybrid tips: https://www.amazon.ca/SYMBIO-Silicone-Provides-Isolation-Performance/dp/B08R94Y7SB

Aug 10, 2022 at 6:49 AM Post #47,123 of 62,016
Thank you guys for making me lean towards the B&O EX - crikey what a cracking pair of ear buds.
I have been enjoying using them during night time, day time whenever I am far away from my main rig.

Bet they sound amazing, I have a pair of EQ and they make me go wow. Want to upgrade but can't justify the price.

People say sound quality is subjective... it's not. Sound quality is clarity, definition and separation. Its musicality and tuning that is subjective.

Aug 10, 2022 at 7:05 AM Post #47,125 of 62,016
Been trying lots of different tws, Sony 1000xm3, nothing ear, Gemini, sennheiser sport and Shure Aonic free.
Long story short , keeping the Shures. Gemini close second but the lack of ANC allows the Shure to sound better (cleaner, nicer bass and lovely treble that doesn't draw attention to itself)
The Shure app is also excellent with great eq and media player.

Really didn't expect them to win when I saw them!

Aug 10, 2022 at 7:20 AM Post #47,126 of 62,016
As for ANC , Sony is ahead on this imo (especially with over ear phones). Even then it introduces noise into the music, guess it doesn't matter much on a plane.
Nothing ear is a great first effort, my issue with it was that the default sound is too thin, needed to use bass eq and when you activate ANC it's far too bassy with that eq. So no happy balance really. Will try their ear 2 when it comes though.

Aug 10, 2022 at 7:32 AM Post #47,127 of 62,016

Which Azla is on your B&O?

Aug 10, 2022 at 9:25 AM Post #47,128 of 62,016
I own an Etymotic ER4-SR , and a Sony WF-1000XM4 ... I apply AutoEQ https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/AutoEq/ when I listen to both of them so that I get as close to the same frequency response as possible to both of them, normally the Sony wireless earbuds has a significant and broad peak at the lower mids which makes them subjectively worser to listen to... Now with the equalization, I get almost the same sound from my wired BA IEMs , as well as my wireless noise cancelling earbuds

But, there is still a difference that equalization cannot fix, and that is data compression... While some of it can be down to the differences between the balanced armatures in my wired IEMs and the dynamic drivers in the wireless earbuds, I think that the degradation of the sound signal is playing a big role
Being a child of the 90's, the best way I can describe it is like the difference between hearing a CD player and a Game Boy Advance , only much subtler

Listening to wired earphones is technically and physically the de facto standard, and when I compare my Etymotics to Sony earbuds (both with equalization) , all the sound especially the higher frequencies sound more 'physical' and realistic, and also the bass feels like it hits deeper ... The frequency response is enforced by the AutoEQ equalization , but the wireless earbuds are still lacking a certain quality which makes the sound feel flat and distant, I just don't feel like I am 'right there' in the sound...
The word I want to use to describe it is 'clarity' , but this is the best analogy that I can think of for now: With the re-recording of analog audio and photocopying of analog pictures, you lose clarity of your original material by means that can be described by some physical parameter such as muffling from the loss of high frequency sound and bluriness from the loss of spatial resolution in the picture....
But with digital sound and pictures, you are using psycho-perceptual calculations in your data compression and the loss in clarity is harder to express, we have one word to describe this loss in all forms of digital media: Artifacting

The very nature of the wireless technology in the earbuds is a compromise to the very function of sound reproducibility ... I can't wait until the day when they can wirelessly send uncompressed digital audio

However, the lack of a cable and its associated microphonics, and more importantly not having to hear the rumbling from both my own body(heartbeat, muscle movement, etc etc) and my surroundings(cars outside my apartment, the hum of A/C units, etc etc), makes just turning on the noise cancelling a positive experience in its own right

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2022 at 10:25 AM Post #47,130 of 62,016

Users who are viewing this thread

Back