Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
May 17, 2022 at 6:30 PM Post #45,436 of 61,895
Got the MTW3 and have some comparisons with my fav TWS Technics AZ60.

MTW3 look good in Graphite and has a nice sound as well but I prefer the sub bass on Technics AZ60. There's bass boost option but it muddies the mids a lot so not very useful if you care about vocals. EQ is same 3band and works fine but would have been nice to have a 3+ band EQ. Vocals are slightly better than AZ60 but holographic staging is not as good as AZ60 (in fact it seems non-existent perhaps due to Senny reducing shell size for these). Microphones are good but not as loud(sensitive) as AZ60. Comfort is MUCH better than AZ60 and these are kind of small TWS which is nice as they don't stick out as much. Case is not as compact as AZ60 but smaller than the MTW2 case, wireless charging is a plus. Also have a weird issue with volume either being all the way up or all the way down when I take these out of the case! Hate to these blast at full volume randomly causing hearing damage. Firmware has been updated but still seeing the issue. I am not very impressed with these and will likely return my pair.

Last edited:
May 17, 2022 at 10:10 PM Post #45,437 of 61,895
Got the MTW3 and have some comparisons with my fav TWS Technics AZ60.

MTW3 look good in Graphite and has a nice sound as well but I prefer the sub bass on Technics AZ60. There's bass boost option but it muddies the mids a lot so not very useful if you care about vocals. EQ is same 3band and works fine but would have been nice to have a 3+ band EQ. Vocals are slightly better than AZ60 but holographic staging is not as good as AZ60 (in fact it seems non-existent perhaps due to Senny reducing shell size for these). Microphones are good but not as loud(sensitive) as AZ60. Comfort is MUCH better than AZ60 and these are kind of small TWS which is nice as they don't stick out as much. Case is not as compact as AZ60 but smaller than the MTW2 case, wireless charging is a plus. Also have a weird issue with volume either being all the way up or all the way down when I take these out of the case! Hate to these blast at full volume randomly causing hearing damage. Firmware has been updated but still seeing the issue. I am not very impressed with these and will likely return my pair.
AZ60 users, any preferred EQ setting? Mine arrived today - first impressions are they aren’t super comfortable but sound is solid and ANC was surprisingly strong.

May 17, 2022 at 11:01 PM Post #45,438 of 61,895
AZ60 users, any preferred EQ setting? Mine arrived today - first impressions are they aren’t super comfortable but sound is solid and ANC was surprisingly strong.
I started to use spinfits and they are now more comfy and I don't feel the need to EQ them.

May 17, 2022 at 11:16 PM Post #45,439 of 61,895
I use JVC SpiralDOT++ tips which refines the treble and tames the bass a bit so mostly flat EQ, except -2dB on 315Hz and -1dB on 10K works for me.

May 17, 2022 at 11:36 PM Post #45,440 of 61,895
Here is Wavelet's preset for the AZ70. It looks extreme but this opened things up a lot for me.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220517-233352.png
    Screenshot_20220517-233352.png
    116.2 KB · Views: 0
May 18, 2022 at 12:25 AM Post #45,441 of 61,895
From sound signature alone, I can verify the B&W PI7’s are worth the $299 I paid.
These are my most expensive so far, but between Senn. M2’s, Bose QC’s, M&D 07’s, Bose sports, XM3’s and Bose soundsports frees, they’re just the best..
B&W did a great job passing the higher frequencies from the dynamic driver to the balanced armature, very smooth.
Having separate amps for the transducers might be key…

Highly recommended 👍

May 18, 2022 at 3:54 AM Post #45,442 of 61,895
Also have a weird issue with volume either being all the way up or all the way down when I take these out of the case! Hate to these blast at full volume randomly causing hearing damage. Firmware has been updated but still seeing the issue. I am not very impressed with these and will likely return my pair.
It's not an issue it's a feature! Touch controls are set by default to volume change by holding either side. While picking them out of the case, touch is being registered and volume is either maxed or min depending which side registers it. You can disable/change volume control to taps in the app settings :)

May 18, 2022 at 6:36 AM Post #45,443 of 61,895
Thanks!

The word 'shallow fit' has me worried now .. for sure I will take a step back and not blindly order / buy them, but possibly hit up e-earphone to actually test the fit
It's funny that now that I actually live in Tokyo I find the train trip to my fave earphone store hasslesome (takes 55 minutes one way and costs 360Y)
Shallow fit can bring me issue due to my ear anatomy, I have a large ear hole, so with a short nozzle it can be a challenge. With longer nozzles it isn't as bad.

May 18, 2022 at 8:44 AM Post #45,444 of 61,895
JVC getting a little confused I think....
1652876828532.png

Seems to be a budget Victor but not sure why. I mean it really isn't much of a Victor now is it? HA-A30T is a JVC naming convention. I have the A5T and A11T so I know that much. If you have a Victor and want to talk about SQ then why does this model only use SBC. Wow 2022, and only SBC and under the Victor brand. If the A11T has aptX you would think the A30T would have aptX also.

Otherwise it has potential. Bass boost mode on board, ANC, ambient, new improved insulation tips, smallest size and 4.2 grams weight only 28g for the case, low latency mode, 9 hour battery(7.5 with ANC on) and 10 minutes for 75 minute quick charge. Noise cancelling can be on during calls as well as on board mute for the mics and volume control on calls.
https://www.victor.jp/headphones/lineup/ha-a30t/

Figure this would be a JVC and slot in with the other JVC ANC model, the A50T.

So, it is a Victor but no codecs, a JVC look and name, and a cheap price($75 list and $69 real world). Looks good but also looks like it may disappoint. Still cheap enough to try though.:)

Last edited:
May 18, 2022 at 10:06 AM Post #45,445 of 61,895
JVC getting a little confused I think....
1652876828532.png
Seems to be a budget Victor but not sure why. I mean it really isn't much of a Victor now is it? HA-A30T is a JVC naming convention. I have the A5T and A11T so I know that much. If you have a Victor and want to talk about SQ then why does this model only use SBC. Wow 2022, and only SBC and under the Victor brand. If the A11T has aptX you would think the A30T would have aptX also.

Otherwise it has potential. Bass boost mode on board, ANC, ambient, new improved insulation tips, smallest size and 4.2 grams weight only 28g for the case, low latency mode, 9 hour battery(7.5 with ANC on) and 10 minutes for 75 minute quick charge. Noise cancelling can be on during calls as well as on board mute for the mics and volume control on calls.
https://www.victor.jp/headphones/lineup/ha-a30t/

So, it is a Victor but no codecs, a JVC look and name, and a cheap price($75 list and $69 real world). Looks good but also looks like it may disappoint. Still cheap enough to try though.:)
That doesn't sound cheap to me with only having SBC. If it had at least AAC, maybe yes...

May 18, 2022 at 11:02 AM Post #45,446 of 61,895
That doesn't sound cheap to me with only having SBC. If it had at least AAC, maybe yes...
Well for a Victor it is. Not as cheap as plenty of other budget brands that have all the codecs. All depends on the execution. If it still sounds good enough and if the ANC is good and the ambient and mics are quality. Cheap for a Victor but not cheap in the grand scheme. How good it is for the $75-ish dollars regardless of the codecs we shall see. :)

May 18, 2022 at 11:10 AM Post #45,447 of 61,895
Well for a Victor it is. Not as cheap as plenty of other budget brands that have all the codecs. All depends on the execution. If it still sounds good enough and if the ANC is good and the ambient and mics are quality. Cheap for a Victor but not cheap in the grand scheme. How good it is for the $75-ish dollars regardless of the codecs we shall see. :)
Of course you are right. Cost of these products comes down to if the consumer thinks it is worth it or not. A long time ago, I would have NEVER considered spending $1k for good IEMs.... I remember when Shure came out with their first IEMs that were $99 . I thought that was ridiculous (of course I bought them anyhow :)) because I could get some good ole' Skullcandy for $20 or less... LOL

I guess I always look at sound quality first, then the "bells and whistles" last. So in my mind that is a rather steep price for SBC only. But I totally get what you are saying too.

Last edited:
May 18, 2022 at 11:28 AM Post #45,448 of 61,895
Of course you are right. Cost of these products comes down to if the consumer thinks it is worth it or not. A long time ago, I would have NEVER considered spending $1k for good IEMs.... I remember when Shure came out with their first IEMs that were $99 . I thought that was ridiculous (of course I bought them anyhow :)) because I could get some good ole' Skullcandy for $20 or less... LOL

I guess I always look at sound quality first, then the "bells and whistles" last. So in my mind that is a rather steep price for SBC only. But I totally get what you are saying too.

I am kinda tempted as I do like green and wouldn't mind having a green TWS. :) They seem based on the A5T just a bit bigger and that is a great size and shape. The A5T had buttons and needed touch though. I am on board there as this is the best size and shape yet from JVC. The new tips look interesting too.
1652887369189.png
1652887406649.png

there is a video or two already

Well how bout that. Guess they are worth the price...
1652888645829.png

You get both ANC and SEX. Still need to see how good - on both counts.:relieved:

Last edited:
May 18, 2022 at 1:36 PM Post #45,449 of 61,895
It's not an issue it's a feature! Touch controls are set by default to volume change by holding either side. While picking them out of the case, touch is being registered and volume is either maxed or min depending which side registers it. You can disable/change volume control to taps in the app settings :)
Thanks, but isn't this a common way to control volume on other TWS as well? Technics have the same controls and doesn't suffer from this issue. Maybe some sensitivity issue with touch controls? Senny can probably fix this

Last edited:
May 18, 2022 at 2:18 PM Post #45,450 of 61,895
Wow 2022, and only SBC and under the Victor brand. If the A11T has aptX you would think the A30T would have aptX also.

As an Android user (LG V30), I don't mind TWS that have only SBC. First of all, SBC at highest bitrate is almost as good as AAC and aptX, very small difference in fact:

http://soundexpert.org/encoders-320-kbps

And on Android, SBC actually offers more treble extension and 'air' than AAC, the latter of which may roll off as low as @14kHz on some phones:

https://www.soundguys.com/the-ultimate-guide-to-bluetooth-headphones-aac-20296/

IMO, driver quality and tuning are more important than codec support, so I don't mind having only SBC as long as the former are up to snuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back