Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
May 3, 2022 at 8:51 AM Post #44,941 of 62,036
Beoplay EX quick first thoughts. Much better fit than the EQ, soundstage is a little wider (maybe side effect of better fit), sound is warmer. I’m very impressed, I was thinking of getting the Sennheiser MTW3 but won’t bother as of today, I think I’m happy with these unless I stumble across an issue. Had about 5 hours of use so far and everything is sounding great.

Looks like B&O may have both of my wireless preferences locked up (H95 and EX, with Sony Linkbuds for when I’m walking). H95 has certainly stood the test of time for me, let’s see how these go!

May 3, 2022 at 11:19 AM Post #44,942 of 62,036
It does show that there is an independent amplifier on board. I was going to say, planar in tws form? Not happnin without some form of decent amplification. Planar has weird timbre at times and not always the thickest of bass but that is only from past experiences. Maybe these will do well, who knows. Nice post

I use my PMV PP planar IEMs with the TRN BT20S BT-earhooks and get decent amplification and sound quality. The BT20S uses QCC3020 audio SoC, which you can find in many older TWS, like FIIL T1X or MIfo O7. So I'd think a planar TWS may well be able to sound decent. But spending $368 just to find out whether that's the case with this particular TWS from AliExpress strikes me as a bit steep.

Anyway, good to see someone paving the way for planar TWS. It's quite likely that others will follow.

May 3, 2022 at 4:11 PM Post #44,943 of 62,036
I use my PMV PP planar IEMs with the TRN BT20S BT-earhooks and get decent amplification and sound quality. The BT20S uses QCC3020 audio SoC, which you can find in many older TWS, like FIIL T1X or MIfo O7. So I'd think a planar TWS may well be able to sound decent. But spending $368 just to find out whether that's the case with this particular TWS from AliExpress strikes me as a bit steep.

Anyway, good to see someone paving the way for planar TWS. It's quite likely that others will follow.
There was a member on here a little while back that used the TinHifi P1 (OG) with the iBasso CF01, and he said that they sounded pretty good, and actually had a tad bit of headroom; and as we all know those are really hard to drive for an IEM and planar.

The tech IS getting better for planar and even mini/micro DACs that can have enough power to drive them better. The Timeless (for instance) are much more efficient and lower impedance, but they ARE still harder to drive (properly) than similar specc'ed DD IEMs, so I am with you, in that I am not sure I am ready to go all in for TWS orthos just yet (and I am a planar nut). :) A regular smartphone can drive them with plenty of volume, but to excite the driver properly, I think there is a ways to go to get them there.

May 3, 2022 at 5:03 PM Post #44,944 of 62,036
1More Comfobuds Pro.
Note that only the blue edition have the eq presets hence why the blue is a bit more money. For what they are I really like them. Very good sound and I can spend hours with them with zero ear fatigue.
Comfobuds Pro are in ear...Comfobuds 2 are half-in-ear and are weirdly tuned, very bright until you reposition them and then the bass is very overpowering. This is a perennial problem for buds of this form factor. Sony get the closest to warm with with the Linkbuds, Samsung open out the soundstage with the Buds Live.

I agree the Comfobuds Pro are quite nice though

May 3, 2022 at 6:02 PM Post #44,946 of 62,036
May 3, 2022 at 8:53 PM Post #44,948 of 62,036
May 3, 2022 at 9:59 PM Post #44,950 of 62,036
I like his reviews - his Flossy tuning preference isn’t for my ears though :p
He wins on entertainment value alone.

In place of the B&O Circular EQ, does using the Wavelet Android app's EQ with "Enhanced Session Detection" turned on work well as an alternate EQ for the Beoplay EXs?

Without Enhanced Session Detection enabled, the Wavelet app is limited to functioning with specific apps like Musicolet.

May 3, 2022 at 10:02 PM Post #44,951 of 62,036
Has he reviewed the Devialet Gemini?
Yeah, he likes the B&O Earphones better.

Personally I liked the Devialet Geminis more than the Beoplay EQs, although my main issue was the lower max volume with the EQs, and I understand the Beoplay EXs can get louder.

At the $240 price point, I don't know of anything better than the Devialet Geminis, although they do need aftermarket tips imo.

Last edited:
May 3, 2022 at 10:20 PM Post #44,952 of 62,036

Personally I liked the Devialet Geminis more than the Beoplay EQs, although my main issue was the lower max volume with the EQs, and I understand the Beoplay EXs can get louder.

At the $240 price point, I don't know of anything better than the Devialet Geminis, although they do need aftermarket tips imo.
Given you obviously have experience with both, Where do you think the Gemini's do well, higher than average high volume, enormous bass, extreme separation and detail, tone and timbre?
What about the EX's

May 3, 2022 at 10:23 PM Post #44,953 of 62,036
My B&W PI7 got to me today. They do sound good, not quite my perfect cup of tea tonality-wise, but I wasn't expecting that. I got mostly what I was expecting to hear. A rather smooth sound with a slight emphasis on bass. I kind of hear a slight V-shape with the way the treble is pushed a little above the midrange as well. Overall, the bass is on the slower side with a tad bit of boom and impact to it while being far from tight. It's not overpowering and actually has great presence but doesn't quite have the detail/texturing I want. The midrange is on the smoother side and kind of takes a slight rear seat. The upper midrange is a little tamed down but not overdone as to remove midrange clarity and vocal presence/volume entirely. I do hear some sibilance in the vocals. The treble is very sparkly and edgy, but again not overwhelming. Like with the vocals I do hear a bit of sibilance.

Bowers & Wilkins has always been kind of hit (P5, P7*, P7W) or miss (P3*, P5 II*, PX, C5*) with the ones I've heard from them in the past (I should note that the ones denoted with a * were review samples I received from B&W about a decade ago so there might be some possible bias with that). I would say that the PI7 are more of a hit than they are a miss when it comes to sound.

Controls are nice and responsive which is good since I've always found touch controls to either be good or horridly implemented. The controls do lack customization which is a little unfortunate (at least I didn't see any options in the app). I would like to be able to switch between ANC and transparency modes, but that doesn't really seem to be an option. The ANC also does have a tendency to hiss when nothing is playing. It's not obnoxious, but definitely audible. The transparency mode isn't the best, but it seems usable.

May 3, 2022 at 10:26 PM Post #44,954 of 62,036

Do you find the Gemini stick out too much? They look a bit large in photos.

I do often use tws in bed while reading a book so I find myself wondering if taps would register with pillow rubbing against it. Especially if it sticks out too much

Users who are viewing this thread

Back