Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Apr 19, 2022 at 12:44 AM Post #44,506 of 62,072
Is there an app that makes a difference? Because without it, they just aren't doing it. Tried different tips, adjusted EQ, and I was pretty disappointed. I'll try them again in the morning before returning them, but I wasn't getting a sound I thought was anything to write home about at all.

I'd say they don't need any app, but they'd really shine with both K2 and ANC both left on. They are the only pair of TWS that sounds somewhere near what I could call "balanced", with real solid mids and without boomy mid-bass and peaky mid-highs, together with impressive detailing. They are also the only paid of TWS at this stage that got some decent high extension.

I'd also recommend not to switch to 3rd party tips, the spiral dots are awesome despite not being the most isolating tips (that's where the ANC kicks in and omplements them well).

FYI I use my TWS exclusively with my iPhone XS and Apple Music.

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2022 at 7:32 AM Post #44,507 of 62,072
I'm so vibing with these Galaxy Buds Pro. I also find them really comfortable which also certainly helps. I was worried that they'd be uncomfortable based on what I've heard from some people, saying that they are large and fit weird in the ear canal and fall out etc.
For me their one of the smallest and most low-profile earbuds I've used.

I just found out that I'm getting a new pair of Technics AZ60 after having my pair RMA'd, thinking if I should just sell them since I'm getting brand them brand new in box, because I like these GBPs ALMOST as much as the Technics. The ANC is worse, the sub bass isn't quite as good on the GBP but they sound hell of a lot better without EQ compared to the Technics... Now I do enjoy the Technics so damn much, but I'm still curious if I can pick up another pair that sounds even better than them. Curious to try the Anker Liberty 3 Pro, but I'm not sure if I would like them more or less than the AZ60... probably less but still curious!

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2022 at 12:02 PM Post #44,508 of 62,072
Of cos YMMV...........but totally disagree on the JVC/Victor, the fit is admittedly not the most secure due to the larger size of the unit but it is simply the best sounding of the bunch by a vast margin...........I seriously suspect it is the only offering out there that actually looks into how to make a TWS sounds good instead of simply applying normal wired methods into the TWS mould. The Fokus comes a distant second but I can live with it through the day too, nothing offensive to the ears. None of the others I can say that unfortunately.

I agree that the JVC FW1000T can potentially sound very good, but the stock tuning without ANC is a bit too warm and borderline muddy in my book.

These are measurements with ANC (red) and without (blue), diffuse-field compensated, so DF-neutral would be a horizontal line:

FFyQnaH.jpg

It's easy to see that ANC takes the warmth out of the lower mids and makes them sound more neutral. However, the upper mids / lower treble bump around 4kHz stays the same, so I actually leave ANC off and EQ both the lower mids / upper bass range and the 4kHz range a few dBs down.

Extension at both ends of the frequency range is very good, so I agree, with a little EQ correction these can sound pretty damn good.

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to measure the effect of K2, but going by ear, I feel that it smoothes the transients a bit, so I personally tend to leave it off.

Apr 19, 2022 at 12:28 PM Post #44,509 of 62,072
JVC can sound good but they can't tune. They have been at least little midbass blind. Of course then they do the FXD and go a bit too lean the other way overcompensating. I like to use my JVC's with their ambient tips which ups the stage and balance.

The one I still wonder about is the Kenwood model with the Be driver. That one does have an app and wireless charging.

Apr 19, 2022 at 1:04 PM Post #44,510 of 62,072
My AZ60 also discharge rather evenly. FYI
My Technics AZ60 that I had to RMA because of channel imbalance or whatever you would call it, had very uneven discharge. One of my earbuds usually died when the other one had between 12-20% left, so what the first person said checks out for me anyway. Mine were like that at least, maybe that's why they also failed.

Apr 19, 2022 at 1:10 PM Post #44,511 of 62,072
I have H1s too. I have Soundpeats True engine 3 too. I have a few of Soundpeats cheapest TWS too. I like the H1s the best. They're not nearly a bassy compared to the their models I have. The dual driver setup keeps the sound more clear at louder volumes. My issue with them is that the tips get too warm or too much ear wax builds in the ear or tips, they tend to fall out. I had the same issue with the True Engines. Personally, I don't think they're a good buy at $80US. They're more a $50-$60 purchase to me. Heck, I would write Soundpeats and see if they're willing to cut you bigger discount. The other issue is that that ear filter isn't really replaceable, but it is. I have Etyomic Research IEM and they have filters to switch out when they got gunked with the dirt and wax. The Soundpeats you need to clean periodically. They are ear filters you can buy third party that work; I learned this from Soundpeats after a few complaints. If you like fancy apps or something, Soundpeats is not it. The H1s do have an app, but it's pretty limited in function; I mainly use for firmware updates. It gives battery percentage. I think there is some kind of EQ or one of those custom ear staging based on your actual hearing. The H1s power case does have wireless and USB C charging. Along the same lines, they do have pretty good power life. I use mine all the time, and I end up charging my case about once a month. I generally don't listen at max volume; round 25-50%

On a side note, I will say Soundpeats customer service is pretty good. I had the ear filters come off from not cleaning them regularly. I wrote Soundpeats to complain. One time they offered to replaced the unit when it came back in stock. I eventually negotiated to get a big discount on a new purchase for a new model; around 40%-50%, which they did through a refund.
Yeah, I'm not a huge fan of the H1's and I just don't think I'll ever be. For the price they sound good but honestly their app is not only godawful, it's downright dangerous. I did a "hear test" thing that was supposed to adapt the sound to your hearing, and after going through the test I played some music and it was honestly like somebody cranked the volume up to (not exaggerating) 300%. The sound was broken and distorted because it was so loud, and I literally screamed and ripped the earbuds out of my ears. My earcanals literally felt like they were throbbing for several hours after.

I don't distrust SoundPeats on that alone, they make products that are definitely worth the money in most cases, but I will only use my H1s as a backup bud. If they sounded like Fokus Pro's I'd definitely look beyond that incident with the hearing test, but I think they're very boring. Clean, kinda good, but no sparkle, no life anywhere in the sound register, at least not to my ears. Also that case is big CHONK deluxe.

Apr 19, 2022 at 7:48 PM Post #44,512 of 62,072
I’m still really enjoying the AKG N400. With spinfit CP360’s the fit and comfort and of course the sound is great. I prefer the CP360’s for pretty much every TWS I try. This one pair of them have been on so many different pairs of buds I’ve lost track. My AirPods Pro have definitely been set aside in favor of these. I’ll probably keep the AirPods just cause they work so well with the whole apple ecosystem, but for music I’ll be using the n400’s. I’m glad I took a chance on them for $47, and I’m still blown away that they are letting these go for such a good price.

Apr 19, 2022 at 8:40 PM Post #44,513 of 62,072
I'd say they don't need an amp, but they'd really shine with both K2 and ANC both left on. They are the only pair of TWS that sounds somewhere near what I could call "balanced", with real solid mids and without boomy mid-bass and peaky mid-highs, together with impressive detailing. They are also the only paid of TWS at this stage that got some decent high extension.

I'd also recommend not to switch to 3rd party tips, the spiral dots are awesome despite not being the most isolating tips (that's where the ANC kicks in and omplements them well).

FYI I use my TWS exclusively with my iPhone XS and Apple Music.
Spiral dot go with fw1000t is good. But try spiral dot ++ tip go with fw10000 with color core and you’ll get the prize

Attachments

• 7010DFDC-BD59-4E73-AC59-DB56E1D94532.jpeg
    7010DFDC-BD59-4E73-AC59-DB56E1D94532.jpeg
    76 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Apr 19, 2022 at 9:54 PM Post #44,516 of 62,072
I'm so vibing with these Galaxy Buds Pro. I also find them really comfortable which also certainly helps. I was worried that they'd be uncomfortable based on what I've heard from some people, saying that they are large and fit weird in the ear canal and fall out etc.
For me their one of the smallest and most low-profile earbuds I've used.

I just found out that I'm getting a new pair of Technics AZ60 after having my pair RMA'd, thinking if I should just sell them since I'm getting brand them brand new in box, because I like these GBPs ALMOST as much as the Technics. The ANC is worse, the sub bass isn't quite as good on the GBP but they sound hell of a lot better without EQ compared to the Technics... Now I do enjoy the Technics so damn much, but I'm still curious if I can pick up another pair that sounds even better than them. Curious to try the Anker Liberty 3 Pro, but I'm not sure if I would like them more or less than the AZ60... probably less but still curious!
There are the akg 400nc, b&o eq

Apr 19, 2022 at 10:22 PM Post #44,517 of 62,072
I don't get the jvc appeal. Listened some more. There is no app, and the fit and sound just aren't there at all, like zero percent.

For thr Fokus, I'm telling you all, get these. Night and day vs the stocktips and even vs spin fit. I don't love thr fokus at the gym. I didn't realize these don't have anc and it makes a difference. So sony xm4 for gym and fokus pro for home. Everything else back to Amazon! Shoutout to akg though. For $74, they are tough to beat.

Apr 19, 2022 at 10:45 PM Post #44,518 of 62,072
I don't get the jvc appeal. Listened some more. There is no app, and the fit and sound just aren't there at all, like zero percent.

For thr Fokus, I'm telling you all, get these. Night and day vs the stocktips and even vs spin fit. I don't love thr fokus at the gym. I didn't realize these don't have anc and it makes a difference. So sony xm4 for gym and fokus pro for home. Everything else back to Amazon! Shoutout to akg though. For $74, they are tough to beat.
I am waiting for the fokus anc version like the falcon one. The akg only a few steps below the eq which beat me by surprise lol

Apr 19, 2022 at 10:59 PM Post #44,519 of 62,072
Spiral dot go with fw1000t is good. But try spiral dot ++ tip go with fw10000 with color core and you’ll get the prize

I have all that but what I was referring to is the newest generation Spiral dot pro that comes with the FW1000t, suits them best

Apr 19, 2022 at 11:05 PM Post #44,520 of 62,072
I am waiting for the fokus anc version like the falcon one. The akg only a few steps below the eq which beat me by surprise lol
Ya I actually canceled my order for the Falcon ANC and got the FoKus Pro instead based on everyone saying how great the latter sounds. I agree, however I wonder what the Falcon ANC might sound like. The FoKus sounds great but I do wish it had ANC even though the isolation is good

Users who are viewing this thread

Back