Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Mar 14, 2022 at 4:41 PM Post #43,771 of 62,074
No matter what set I use, I keep coming back to the N6 Pro. Nothing else really gives me the same listening experience. Unhurried is the best way I can describe them. Don't know if it's their HDSS system it's like every bit of the sound has ample time to play out. The instrument separation is wild; you can just hear everything. Everything is there on other sets but much, much easier to pick out on the N6P. It gets harder to resist the N10P every day.

Anything else come close to these things?

Mar 14, 2022 at 5:12 PM Post #43,772 of 62,074
I also own and like the MT. Bought it at 130, it’s now at like 80... anyway, a steal. Despite its occasional instability, still great sound and stage for a TWS at that price.

What is your budget for this new endeavor? ANC is a biggie? Multipoint?

I’m not in purchase mode, but I’m gonna look deeper into this new Senn MTW3. If sound is your main goal, people here like the Fokus Pro and the AZ60... and many, many others.

IEMs connected to Bluetooth adapters are also an option depending on your mobility options.

Narrowing down your must-haves is a must.
I'm purely looking from a sound perspective, I don't need ANC, multipoint or any of that stuff. The BT adapters look interesting and I could use that solution at work but a pure TWS is just so convenient and small to carry about (I keep mine on me pretty much all the time).

Under £150 ideally, I also like shopping around for 2nd hand bargains.

I've read a bit about the Fokus Pro, I'd like to try them but a little expensive I think.

Any impressions of AZ60 Vs MT purely based on SQ and stage?

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2022 at 5:47 PM Post #43,773 of 62,074
I'm purely looking from a sound perspective, I don't need ANC, multipoint or any of that stuff. The BT adapters look interesting and I could use that solution at work but a pure TWS is just so convenient and small to carry about (I keep mine in me pretty much all the time).

Under £150 ideally, I also like shopping around for 2nd hand bargains.

I've read a bit about the Fokus Pro, I'd like to try them but a little expensive I think.

Any impressions of AZ60 Vs MT purely based on SQ and stage?

If I remember correctly I prefer the MTs for pure SQ...But in every other aspect the AZ60 is just superior, so there's really no contest between them given all the problems of the MTs outside its awesome SQ.

Mar 14, 2022 at 6:08 PM Post #43,774 of 62,074
Not sure if this has been asked before but is the UTWS3 worth buying for Dusk/Variations or should I definitely wait for the UTWS5 to come back in stock in more places and go with those?

Currently using Qudelix 5k for bluetooth but would prefer TWS form factor for more convenience.

Mar 14, 2022 at 6:51 PM Post #43,775 of 62,074
Used the XM4's today during transit, love the ANC. I just wish they didn't have the one bud connect issue using LDAC with the Pixel phones.
Are you referring to the lack of TWS+ mode? Pixel just doesn't have TWS+ mode unfortunately. I don't know what the hell is Google thinking.. It has the chip for it and everything, but their software doesn't support it. Makes no sense to me, and they don't exactly have a customer support to reach out to AFAIK.. Pretty disappointing. I don't think I'm buying another Pixel in the future.

The phone choices are so limited. I used to have Samsung s7, but they install too much bloatware crap that it bogs down the phone. I thought I would try one close to vanilla android with earliest updates so I went with Pixel 3 once my Samsung broke couple years ago. I don't know what to try next.. Maybe Sony?

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2022 at 7:18 PM Post #43,776 of 62,074
Are you referring to the lack of TWS+ mode? Pixel just doesn't have TWS+ mode unfortunately. I don't know what the hell is Google thinking.. It has the chip for it and everything, but their software doesn't support it. Makes no sense to me, and they don't exactly have a customer support to reach out to AFAIK.. Pretty disappointing. I don't think I'm buying another Pixel in the future.

The phone choices are so limited. I used to have Samsung s7, but they install too much bloatware crap that it bogs down the phone. I thought I would try one close to vanilla android with earliest updates so I went with Pixel 3 once my Samsung broke couple years ago. I don't know what to try next.. Maybe Sony?
Samsung has come a long way since the S7. No useless bloat anymore and what they do install feels like an improvement over stock android.

(I am a pixel user but constantly jealous of my partner's Samsung phones)

Mar 14, 2022 at 7:30 PM Post #43,777 of 62,074
Not sure if this has been asked before but is the UTWS3 worth buying for Dusk/Variations or should I definitely wait for the UTWS5 to come back in stock in more places and go with those?

Currently using Qudelix 5k for bluetooth but would prefer TWS form factor for more convenience.
I was gonna ask this same basic question, but slightly different way.

Here goes: Is it worth it to get the UTWS3 now or wait until FiiO irons out the bugs with the UTWS5? Looks like the UTWS5 can be bought at AE, but of course there's the shipping time as well.

Mar 14, 2022 at 7:34 PM Post #43,778 of 62,074

Get the 5 over the 3 IMO. More power, ambient mode and wireless charging. Newer tech. You'll also need the MMCX version with a 2 Pin adapter. Female connector on the Dusk and Variation is recessed. It's annoying. If you got the MMCX version, you'd have to cut off the metal ring around the 2 Pin connector on the UTWS5 then file the plastic to make it narrow enough to fit the Dusk or Variations. Been there. Wound up flipping my Variations and going with a Thieaudio IEM and today trying out the SeeAudio Midnight with the Shure TW2 adapters. Loving them :metal::metal::metal:

Mar 14, 2022 at 7:37 PM Post #43,779 of 62,074
I was gonna ask this same basic question, but slightly different way.

Here goes: Is it worth it to get the UTWS3 now or wait until FiiO irons out the bugs with the UTWS5? Looks like the UTWS5 can be bought at AE, but of course there's the shipping time as well.
Honestly, I had both. Kept my 5s. They're better and I haven't had any issues with mine. I did have a pair and returned them for the replacement I'm using now. No issues though. Also, installed the beta with ambient mode. They rock. Got them from Audio46. Their stock comes in and goes out fast.

Mar 14, 2022 at 7:45 PM Post #43,780 of 62,074
Honestly, I had both. Kept my 5s. They're better and I haven't had any issues with mine. I did have a pair and returned them for the replacement I'm using now. No issues though. Also, installed the beta with ambient mode. They rock. Got them from Audio46. Their stock comes in and goes out fast.
Thanks! Yeah, I'll go with the 5s. I only have a couple of MMCX cabled IEMs and zero 2 pin. The 3s would probably drive them just fine, but it's better to get the newer tech with more power and latest functionality to boot.

Mar 14, 2022 at 7:47 PM Post #43,781 of 62,074
Get the 5 over the 3 IMO. More power, ambient mode and wireless charging. Newer tech. You'll also need the MMCX version with a 2 Pin adapter. Female connector on the Dusk and Variation is recessed. It's annoying. If you got the MMCX version, you'd have to cut off the metal ring around the 2 Pin connector on the UTWS5 then file the plastic to make it narrow enough to fit the Dusk or Variations. Been there. Wound up flipping my Variations and going with a Thieaudio IEM and today trying out the SeeAudio Midnight with the Shure TW2 adapters. Loving them :metal::metal::metal:
I went from midnight to dusk and now variations. What made you choose midnight over the other two?

Mar 14, 2022 at 7:59 PM Post #43,782 of 62,074
Thanks! Yeah, I'll go with the 5s. I only have a couple of MMCX cabled IEMs and zero 2 pin. The 3s would probably drive them just fine, but it's better to get the newer tech with more power and latest functionality to boot.
Unless the 5 comes back soon, I am considering the 3. Not so much because I am impatient, but because I have nothing that can do AptX Adaptive. Yes, the 5 has more power, but I only have one set that is hard to drive (TinHifi P1). I don't really need ambient mode because I will occasionally be using classic earbuds with them. As for S/N and THD, only having AptX available kinda' makes the small differences irrelevant IMO. Plus battery life is longer on the 3 from what I am reading.

All that being said, can anyone think of another argument (that I might have missed or am wrong about) that I might want to pay $60(ish) more dollars for something that really doesn't benefit my specific setup? I really want to want the 5, but the more time goes by, the more I realize I can't benefit so much from the newer tech, and etc... I would be using them with my Note 9, iBasso DX300, and DX160. Probably the DXs more because Samsung has gimped BT codecs on the phone in favor of their proprietary adaptive codec.

Mar 14, 2022 at 8:28 PM Post #43,783 of 62,074
Samsung has come a long way since the S7. No useless bloat anymore and what they do install feels like an improvement over stock android.

Yeah I've been a Nexus and Pixel guy the last 8 years, and I've been keeping up with Samsung and I'm not so worried about the OS anymore, and they finally are giving updates faster and for longer. The only thing keeping me from a Samsung this year is the camera is just poor in lower light for anything that moves slightly.

I would have switched to a Samsung s22 because the six pro has been a bit of a disappointment. Not terribly but enough to have tried the Samsung if the camera was better.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2022 at 8:36 PM Post #43,784 of 62,074
I went from midnight to dusk and now variations. What made you choose midnight over the other two?
I've only had the Blessing 2 and the Variations, but they don't gel with the Fiio unless you use the adapter on the bt adapters. For me, it makes the arm too long and they just never sat right. I love them both but I actually think I prefer the mellow balance sound of the Midnight. For most stuff, I use my Monarch MK2. Midnight arrived after a late might wild hair seeing them on Amazon and delivered with Prime :scream:

Mar 14, 2022 at 11:04 PM Post #43,785 of 62,074

Since this is a TWS thread, I do think the fact that Samsung cripples other Bluetooth codecs in favor of their own Scalable codec should be mentioned (sorry for repeating again since I know this has probably been discussed before), even though, in my opinion, I think they make some of the best Android phones and tablets. I have had every Galaxy phone since the GS3 - GS9 and still have the Tab S7 FE (which I think it a great tablet and my wife loves her Flip3 and had the S10 before that). However, I stopped using Samsung phones when I started getting into TWS because I got turned off by the fact that they don't support aptX HD or aptX adaptive and I have not had any Samsung devices that could automatically (i.e. no need to mess with Developer Options) achieve and maintain a stable LDAC 990 connection like my LG V60 and OnePlus 8T do. My Pixel 6 is not the snappiest of phones and also doesn't do LDAC 990 well but it is half the price of new Samsung phones and aptX HD works really well (also got it because it has dual SIM if you use eSIM). I do prefer the Samsung UI to Pixel but I actually like the OnePlus software the best (OnePlus 8T has a terrible camera though). I found the OnePlus 8T to be the most stable in terms of Bluetooth connection among my three current phones and pretty much use it as a Bluetooth DAP for commuting these days.

EDIT - just wanted to add that, while codecs may not be a priority for everyone (and many just don't care about them), I probably spend as much time listening to music as I do looking my phone (not really into social media or anything like that, time spent on audio related forums excluded) and if I am going to be buying all these Bluetooth devices (TWS, ES100/Qudelix, headphones) then I would rather be able to utilize them to their full capability.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back