Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Feb 15, 2022 at 6:09 PM Post #43,066 of 62,112
I’m curious how they’ll measure. I kind of want to try them out.
Unless the UTWS5 is available again by Thursday, I will probably blow the money to test them out, and the wait will continue for the UTWS5... LOL

Feb 15, 2022 at 8:48 PM Post #43,067 of 62,112
Unless the UTWS5 is available again by Thursday, I will probably blow the money to test them out, and the wait will continue for the UTWS5... LOL
The 5's seem awesome for updated dac+amp, but the 3's were half the price when I bought them a couple months ago and I love them. I'm using them right now. I haven't had any problems with them.

Feb 15, 2022 at 10:12 PM Post #43,070 of 62,112
Ya the second the 5's come in.... Anywhere... They are gone. I would Def recommend the Utws3 as well.
I would get the UTWS3, but I will be needing the extra boost for driving my P1's. Don't know if I want/need both. Thanks for the rec though! :beerchug:

Speaking of blowing money; ack, I'm such a sucker, but if these sound decent, they will be perfect for my work. I've been using regular (flathead/classic) earbuds till now (working in various mechanical/boiler rooms and need to hear, ambient hasn't really cut it for me at this point). Plus, combining TWS with flathead earbuds, how can I NOT try these? :fingers_crossed:We'll see?! :)

The reviews seem to be polarizing at this point. That and the fact that AAC and SBC are the only codecs, makes me nervous. On the other hand, most of the early reviews I have read are sites that are used to IEM types of TWS, rather than true earbuds (which is pretty much a niche following anyhow, of which I am a total fan, and that these are indeed), and those are (mostly) all bass boosted for the outside environment, etc...

SonyLinkBuds.png

Feb 15, 2022 at 11:02 PM Post #43,071 of 62,112
I would get the UTWS3, but I will be needing the extra boost for driving my P1's. Don't know if I want/need both. Thanks for the rec though! :beerchug:

Speaking of blowing money; ack, I'm such a sucker, but if these sound decent, they will be perfect for my work. I've been using regular (flathead/classic) earbuds till now (working in various mechanical/boiler rooms and need to hear, ambient hasn't really cut it for me at this point). Plus, combining TWS with flathead earbuds, how can I NOT try these? :fingers_crossed:We'll see?! :)

The reviews seem to be polarizing at this point. That and the fact that AAC and SBC are the only codecs, makes me nervous. On the other hand, most of the early reviews I have read are sites that are used to IEM types of TWS, rather than true earbuds (which is pretty much a niche following anyhow, of which I am a total fan, and that these are indeed), and those are (mostly) all bass boosted for the outside environment, etc...

SonyLinkBuds.png
I think you'll find the UTWS5s worth the wait. I'm driving my Shuorer S12 planars to bass monster glory and loving every minute. Ambient is better on these than any TWS I've heard, especially when using the volume controls. I found I can get a true as-if-nothing-on effect while still getting good music dynamics. It's also a nice change from TWS where pressing buttons jams them painfully into your ear. I bought mine from audio46.com, and I noticed they do get them in sometimes, they had them the other day. Sadly not now. But if you are after ambient you may wind up returning the Sonys after you get these.

Feb 16, 2022 at 12:44 AM Post #43,072 of 62,112
The linkbuds are definitely one of the most interesting TWS releases, can't wait for them to come to a sony store near me so I can test them out.

I'm not sure I will even group them as earbuds since they're even more open than earbuds with the donut shape.

Feb 16, 2022 at 1:03 AM Post #43,073 of 62,112
I only go back to the office when they make me... after 26 months WFH, I can’t see myself spending two hours a day commuting, having to get up an hour earlier, spending money for lunch, to arrive at an almost empty office.

With WFH, my quality of life has definitely increased. I gained sleep, time, money, tranquility. And I’m as productive, if not more. And more focused.

This is no diss, I do have friends who also hate it.

Oh, and I listen to even more music, getting to choose between speakers, IEMs, Bluetooth. I have all my music sources and resources available.
Oh yeah, I get it. I used to work from home before the pandemic but in my last role it was just super frustrating and annoying and was constantly on calls with literally zero time to listen to my tunes :)

Feb 16, 2022 at 1:18 AM Post #43,074 of 62,112
The linkbuds are definitely one of the most interesting TWS releases, can't wait for them to come to a sony store near me so I can test them out.

I'm not sure I will even group them as earbuds since they're even more open than earbuds with the donut shape.

Not their first open earbud attempt.

These were pretty neat. Xperia ear duo.
41iFehW9Y8L._AC_SY350_.jpg

Feb 16, 2022 at 2:06 AM Post #43,075 of 62,112
Did someone compare ze3000 with cx sennheiser ?

Feb 16, 2022 at 6:42 AM Post #43,078 of 62,112
I am still pretty torn about what I think about those LinkBuds ... I was kinda ready this morning to travel to Akihabara in hopes that at 10AM e-earphone would have them already ... but then I saw the first YT videos ... and well .. my enthusiasm waned a bit, I especially scoffed at this 'sustainable made from recycled plastic', while at the same time they have sent out those single use press-kit boxes for extra WOW youtube unboxing videos ... that rubbed me kinda wrong.
Thinking a bit more clearly ... would I really spend 180$ on a no-ANC, no AptX / LDAC bud, just because it is new, shiny, different and SONY (yes, still, I probably would, but with a pause) ... and I keep coming back to comparing them to my Aftershokz ... would they be a could replacement for those ... (not that they need replacing) ...

Well, I will check if any of the big electronic shops i might come across tomorrow have them out to try ... bit confused that Amazon.JP does not feature them yet .... they might do the US market first? We shall see

I very much get the 'flat earbud' feel that @samandhi brought up a few times ... say samandhi, were you / are you part of that very active FB group on that topic? I used to hang around their a lot and bought way too much :D

Edit: Oh, good I did not trek all the way to get those linkbuds .. seems release in Japan is 25th ... this is kinda crappy coming from a JAPANESE company!

SONY_Sony_Link_Buds__WF-L900__Gray___e_☆_Earphone_🔊.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2022 at 7:50 AM Post #43,079 of 62,112
ATH-CKS50TW

It's about time! I was waiting for 20+ hrs of battery life that has ANC. This is the practicality I was waiting for.

https://www.theverge.com/platform/a...ca-ath-cks50tw-earbuds-anc-battery-life-price

It says 15hrs with ANC, but I wish we can get minimjm 20 hrs with good ANC so that with battery degredation, they can last awhile. Also, want a high ifixit score (infinite lasting with reduced landfill contribution).

If one day, I run into a TWS with AptX Lossless (with good signal connections everywhere), with good ANC, with long battery life like this, I'm sold! This is all I need. I will be carrying it around everywhere and it will be a part of me like my phone and watch.

Once it meets all these requirements, I'm done. Not that I collect TWS, but I am looking for the ONE that will be ALL usage and pocketable. Long battery life has been the most importan spec I been waiting for on a TWS.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2022 at 8:47 AM Post #43,080 of 62,112
ATH-CKS50TW

It's about time! I was waiting for 20+ hrs of battery life that has ANC. This is the practicality I was waiting for.

https://www.theverge.com/platform/a...ca-ath-cks50tw-earbuds-anc-battery-life-price

It says 15hrs with ANC, but I wish we can get minimjm 20 hrs with good ANC so that with battery degredation, they can last awhile. Also, want a high ifixit score (infinite lasting with reduced landfill contribution).

If one day, I run into a TWS with AptX Lossless (with good signal connections everywhere), with good ANC, with long battery life like this, I'm sold! This is all I need. I will be carrying it around everywhere and it will be a part of me like my phone and watch.

Once it meets all these requirements, I'm done. Not that I collect TWS, but I am looking for the ONE that will be ALL usage and pocketable. Long battery life has been the most importan spec I been waiting for on a TWS.

I think in 1 more year or less we can have something with 20 hrs of battery with ANC on the size of the ATH-CKS50TW im very interested in those but they are still not available in the states, and dont want to buy them from Amazon JP, but seeing them now on the verge and engadget is a good sign of those coming soon to Amazon USA, i still want something with multi point, anyway battery technology is on a revolution due to the car industry pushing so sooner or later we will see better batteries in across multiple devices.

Regarding the ifixit score I also would love to see items than can be repaired more easily I always hesisate when it come to battery powered things (that you cant easily change the battery).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back