Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Feb 15, 2022 at 3:20 AM Post #43,021 of 62,072
That pre-launch review did say you could hear conversation clearly and would be useful for when you're doing some activity like running to hear your surroundings. The review mentioned the mids and highs were clear while the bass was a bit lacking. They had an averaged frequency response curve which showed that as well. The reality is that the open design causes the bass to be lower. I have the Aftershokz Aeropex which are great for walking, running, biking or other activities where you need to be aware of your surroundings. As you might be aware the bass is also a bit lacking with the Aftershokz, but you overcome that by using regular earplugs to block your open ear canals and the sound signature of the Aftershokz change from low bass to full bass. Besides EQ correction, the center hole in the Sony WF-L900 can be filled in / blocked as well and that may increase the bass (won't know until someone tries it). Since these fit your ears much like earbuds even if the center hole is blocked there will be incoming sound leakage so should still be good for activities where you need to be aware of your surroundings.
Thanks for the summary ... at least I should have a chance soon-ish to try in-store here, guess e-earphone might have them on launch day.
Got those Aeropex a while ago and they are great for park running, away from cars ... in traffic though (on the sidewalk) I hear more cars than music.

But gotta give it to Sony for keeping trying new things ...

Feb 15, 2022 at 6:23 AM Post #43,023 of 62,072
I'm also in the WFH club... I despise it.

I only go back to the office when they make me... after 26 months WFH, I can’t see myself spending two hours a day commuting, having to get up an hour earlier, spending money for lunch, to arrive at an almost empty office.

With WFH, my quality of life has definitely increased. I gained sleep, time, money, tranquility. And I’m as productive, if not more. And more focused.

This is no diss, I do have friends who also hate it.

Oh, and I listen to even more music, getting to choose between speakers, IEMs, Bluetooth. I have all my music sources and resources available.

Feb 15, 2022 at 6:38 AM Post #43,024 of 62,072
I only go back to the office when they make me... after 26 months WFH, I can’t see myself spending two hours a day commuting, having to get up an hour earlier, spending money for lunch, to arrive at an almost empty office.

With WFH, my quality of life has definitely increased. I gained sleep, time, money, tranquility. And I’m as productive, if not more. And more focused.

This is no diss, I do have friends who also hate it.

Oh, and I listen to even more music, getting to choose between speakers, IEMs, Bluetooth. I have all my music sources and resources available.
I'm right there with your brother!

Feb 15, 2022 at 6:38 AM Post #43,025 of 62,072
Makes me wonder if the sound leakage is both ways. Not a huge fan of having everyone around you able to hear every song you are listening to.
There will probably be some outbound sound leakage like typical earbuds since there's no ear tips, but probably so low that other people won't hear it or bother anyone. It might be more bothersome to you if you're trying to concentrate on the music and you hear the surrounding noise. But you'll be expecting that because that's what these are designed for.

Thanks for the summary ... at least I should have a chance soon-ish to try in-store here, guess e-earphone might have them on launch day.
Got those Aeropex a while ago and they are great for park running, away from cars ... in traffic though (on the sidewalk) I hear more cars than music.

But gotta give it to Sony for keeping trying new things ...
Wow, great you can audition them in store. Maybe try to lightly cover the holes with your fingertips and see if the sound changes? It would be nice if you can share you initial impressions.

Feb 15, 2022 at 9:49 AM Post #43,026 of 62,072
Dude... The Fiio fh1. People have slept on that set. I have had it since it came out and it isn't bad at all. A little hot up top at times but tip rolling helped that out. I also covered the front vent with a mesh cover to boost the low end a tad and to me, these sound really really good. For a $59 iem.
Thanks for the knowledge drop pertaining to ios as well. I wondered what the ios people use and if they even have the ability to eq the way i speak about at times. Thanks man
Hope it helped, switched over to Android for a few years with HTC or One + devices as long as I could 'root' them, then switched back to iOS as those options became slim.

The FH1/ES100 combo is a trooper. Still use it often for sleeping, yard work, walking, etc. Foam tips (cheap Comply knock offs) help isolation. I can wear them for hours without readjusting the seal.

FWIW, the Jabra Elite 75t Active was pretty nice...used the Jabra app also for EQing, sound was nice. They were tiny, but still put too much pressure on the ear canals when sleeping, and the other niggle....I had to readjust them every few minutes to keep the seal when outdoors (even with all sorts of tip rolling tryouts). The mics, though....worked very well for calls, even outdoors in the wind.

Torn on the upgradeitus path....or if I even need to go there...considering FD3, FH3, FD5, FH5s, 7hz Timeless. Later this year I'd augment with a FiiO UTW3/UTW5 (or something along those lines) to get back to TWS setup.

Feb 15, 2022 at 10:27 AM Post #43,027 of 62,072
@Phaethon Bro - I didn't think goose bumps were possible with IEMs but the Dorado 2020 immediately delivered on the first few tracks I put on. Having never invested in $1K IEMs I really didn't want a good reason to keep them (for the sake of my wallet) but they are definitely in a league of their own.

I am now a believer but I do think beyond this price point may just be diminishing returns. It has an even fuller, more dynamic, detailed and clean/robust bass and sonic profile than the FH9s. It really is incredible and for the most part, it has the right amount of sparkle before it gets too peaky or harsh in the treble region while pushing mids and vocals more to the forefront. That bass is thick, clean and robust, the most precise I've heard, insane. I know I'm gushing because I feel like I'm sitting in a Ferrari instead of a BMW now. Immersive, dynamic, impactful and detailed at a different level. You want to appreciate details of instruments in jazz and classical? These deliver. You want to get jacked listening to more energetic genres? Rock, PoP, EDM? These deliver. Are they clinical? Probably not, but for those that want an immersive and amazingly fun IEM with great depth, good stage, detail with thick bass and rumble, these will deliver and go a little above.

Is it worth the extra 400 CAD over the FH9s to end my search and sell off the rest of my small collection? Yes, probably. Also, did I mention it's gorgeous and comfort wise, the most ergonomic out of all the other IEMs I've tried? Dunno why crin rated these so poorly but I've just recognized that everyone has their own taste and bias towards certain sound signatures. This is my jam, I am a fan and this may likely be my end game for years to come... except for TWS :)

Attachments

• 20220215_093628.jpg
    20220215_093628.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220215_095122.jpg
    20220215_095122.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Feb 15, 2022 at 12:11 PM Post #43,030 of 62,072
Wow this Sony video really making the Link Buds out to be the next best thing since sliced bread. The marketing is very strong on this one lol!

Feb 15, 2022 at 12:13 PM Post #43,031 of 62,072
Hope it helped, switched over to Android for a few years with HTC or One + devices as long as I could 'root' them, then switched back to iOS as those options became slim.

The FH1/ES100 combo is a trooper. Still use it often for sleeping, yard work, walking, etc. Foam tips (cheap Comply knock offs) help isolation. I can wear them for hours without readjusting the seal.

FWIW, the Jabra Elite 75t Active was pretty nice...used the Jabra app also for EQing, sound was nice. They were tiny, but still put too much pressure on the ear canals when sleeping, and the other niggle....I had to readjust them every few minutes to keep the seal when outdoors (even with all sorts of tip rolling tryouts). The mics, though....worked very well for calls, even outdoors in the wind.

Torn on the upgradeitus path....or if I even need to go there...considering FD3, FH3, FD5, FH5s, 7hz Timeless. Later this year I'd augment with a FiiO UTW3/UTW5 (or something along those lines) to get back to TWS setup.
For me, there are certainly upgrades from the fh1. Fd1, Fd3, fh3, fh5, fd5 are all direct upgrades within the Fiio lineup. Other than fiio I can say that iems have come a very long way since the fh1 came out with many companies creating iems under $100 that would have been $500 iems 7-8 yrs ago. While it was a good iem for the time and even a decent iem nowadays, there are some pretty amazing iems at a budget price. Even at lesser price than the fh1. I just got a little nostalgic there.
As far as the utws3/5 goes, I think you'd be surprised how well they can replay music with a good iem attached. Fiio really did a fantastic job.

Feb 15, 2022 at 12:18 PM Post #43,032 of 62,072
@Phaethon Bro - I didn't think goose bumps were possible with IEMs but the Dorado 2020 immediately delivered on the first few tracks I put on. Having never invested in $1K IEMs I really didn't want a good reason to keep them (for the sake of my wallet) but they are definitely in a league of their own.

I am now a believer but I do think beyond this price point may just be diminishing returns. It has an even fuller, more dynamic, detailed and clean/robust bass and sonic profile than the FH9s. It really is incredible and for the most part, it has the right amount of sparkle before it gets too peaky or harsh in the treble region while pushing mids and vocals more to the forefront. That bass is thick, clean and robust, the most precise I've heard, insane. I know I'm gushing because I feel like I'm sitting in a Ferrari instead of a BMW now. Immersive, dynamic, impactful and detailed at a different level. You want to appreciate details of instruments in jazz and classical? These deliver. You want to get jacked listening to more energetic genres? Rock, PoP, EDM? These deliver.

Is it worth the extra 400 CAD over the FH9s to end my search and sell off the rest of my small collection? Yes, probably. Also, did I mention it's gorgeous and comfort wise, the most ergonomic out of all the other IEMs I've tried? Dunno why crin rated these so poorly but I've just recognized that everyone has their own taste and bias towards certain sound signatures. This is my jam, I am a fan and this may likely be my end game for years to come... except for TWS :)
You are exactly right. To Crin... What he likes is what he likes. Everyone is always right in this hobby. That's great that you got the Dorado man! I have not had the pleasure of listening to them as I had pretty much written off anything from Campfire as they have come out with some real duds. I have heard good things about this set though. Very cool.

Feb 15, 2022 at 12:18 PM Post #43,033 of 62,072
I don't have a problem ... YOU have a problem :D

IMG_3887.JPG
Wow, I feel like I have no issue with accumulating tws's, after seeing your picture. :)

Do you keep them all charged up? I have around 15 and rotate between 10 or so, but it takes me a month to rotate through them -- sometimes just listening to a song or two before putting it away for another month. sounds strange as I type this, but we're a strange bunch, no? Earlier today I just realized 3 or 4 of my tws' had to be topped off because it's been almost a couple months since I've listened to them.

Feb 15, 2022 at 12:28 PM Post #43,034 of 62,072
Wow this Sony video really making the Link Buds out to be the next best thing since sliced bread. The marketing is very strong on this one lol!
I believe ALL companies do this lol. What do you expect, they're not exactly going to say, "We know you've been waiting for this. Today we introduce our average sounding wireless earbuds with less than satisfactory battery life. Available for pre-order today."

Feb 15, 2022 at 12:39 PM Post #43,035 of 62,072
I believe ALL companies do this lol. What do you expect, they're not exactly going to say, "We know you've been waiting for this. Today we introduce our average sounding wireless earbuds with less than satisfactory battery life. Available for pre-order today."
Not about the product though. They are not saying it is a great product. They are saying it is an evolutionary link to your world. It is gonna help blind people get around better, it is gonna change gaming, it is gonna transport you to another dimension of interacting with your world.

Would be nice if they said stuff about the product being great but not much about the product. They are the newest headphone revolution. They are gonna change your world.
1644946607402.png

So, is making them out to be a new evolution really what they all do?? Talking going portable(Walkman of course mentioned) is an evolution and going from wired to wireless an evolution and now Link Buds is another evolution!!!!!!!(Did I put nought exclamations?):)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back