Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Dec 11, 2021 at 10:08 PM Post #40,141 of 62,030
Switching to 990 alone doesn't do anything. You need to toggle another seeing with it for example switch the bit rate to a different number like 24 and back. Without doing that it shows 990 but it still is set at best effort so you aren't getting the best quality. But be prepared for stutters of you have screen on and location on.
These are Android bugs afaik.
Ya I know what you are talking about man... I actually do just that. I promise I never have an issue. I will say that maybe as I walk away with some devices, like the BTR5 gets weird every now and again when I am around 15 ft away and turn away from it with a wall between....weird. None of my tws LDAC ever had an issue but maybe occasional skips. By occasional I mean once a week. Qudelix 5k is great as well. Ya man, it seems maybe the issue is in the phone... Maybe.

Dec 11, 2021 at 10:12 PM Post #40,143 of 62,030
The hose device's CPU needs to be up to the task since it's effectively converting FLAC to LDAC and that seems to be a pretty resource-intensive task as bandwidth goes up. My OnePlus 8T can handle 990, even if I just leave things in default modes. The Pixel can't. It stutters like mad.

My conclusion? Sounds like it's not the TWS here. Kinda sad that it's not really disclosed to the customer, but would be really useful information. The price we pay for being on the bleeding edge...
You are exactly right. My note 10+ has truly never had an issue with processing flac files on ldac. I'm sure some phones simply handle it better than others and you are right... This should be disclosed to the buyer, esp with ldac becoming more commonplace. BTW, sorry I was late on this as I've been working all freaking day long.

Dec 11, 2021 at 10:14 PM Post #40,144 of 62,030
Fokus are outstanding. I can't put them down. Phone calls seem to work well, although my voice sounds deep. Sexy to some, but awkward on a work call. I did a EQ using the hearing test they've added to the app and I'm loving the sound. Noble truly does know how to make a great set of tws. Highly recommend if you're looking for top notch sound above all else.
Your Killin me man. I am Def wanting to check this set out soon. I'm glad you are enjoying them

Dec 11, 2021 at 11:08 PM Post #40,146 of 62,030
You know, out of the box, I'm using what was on them. So far so good. Did you prefer something else? I swear I used them for hours. Love the fit.
I’m easing my way back in. Using stock mediums. Fit pretty well. Definitely leaps and bounds better than the Falcon. GD they sound sweet! I’m back to an iPhone and even AAC is killer. I might try the Sednas for giggles. I’m glad someone else is with me on this. If only they had ANC…

Dec 11, 2021 at 11:50 PM Post #40,147 of 62,030
Your Killin me man. I am Def wanting to check this set out soon. I'm glad you are enjoying them
I'm sorry. I'm just really impressed. They don't have any other of the features we all love, but man, the sound... I was cranking an old album by a band called Badlands. It's old and really needs a remaster (which will probably never happen) but whew, Jake E. Lee sounded sick. Just closed my eyes for a bit and took it all in. Rant over :)

Dec 11, 2021 at 11:51 PM Post #40,148 of 62,030
I’m easing my way back in. Using stock mediums. Fit pretty well. Definitely leaps and bounds better than the Falcon. GD they sound sweet! I’m back to an iPhone and even AAC is killer. I might try the Sednas for giggles. I’m glad someone else is with me on this. If only they had ANC…
I'm with you, ANC or even the wireless charging like the Falcon Pro. But the case is definitely nicer. I love the 3D printed shell and the touch sensors work flawlessly for me.

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2021 at 1:06 AM Post #40,149 of 62,030
That's the spirit! Now if they weren't so dang expensive to replace :)

Also, that's a lot of daily use. Any chance your ENT doc had something to say about such prolonged use?

The doctor said to be careful with the Xelastec, don't use them again if I start to see cracks, he also said that the concept behind Xelastec is great but the execution is lacking due to it's durability.

Thanks @zeinharis when I turned off wifi my 990 issue resolved! So just can't use wifi. To many things in close proximity to each other causing interference.

Like @Canabuc I am using a close to top of the line phone S20 G5 so not very old and should have plenty of CPU ability.

I'm the end though this just shows that LDAC as a standard has definite issues. Unfortunately APTx LL seems to be costly because not enough manufacturers are picking it up, with Samsung leading that charge... :frowning2:. I know I can root my phone to get it enabled but my phone is to integral for work and on my dime so I can't afford to play games with that type of thing.

Good news is most of music is right on my phone so I don't need to stream much so turning off wifi isn't that big a deal for me.

Edit: now that I can hear 990 without interuption my old ears are struggling to hear a big difference (may also be my files that can be the limitation) plus I still get a bit of interference. So I think I will just live with 660 as it's good enough for me.

My phone are keeping stable Bluetooth connection at LDAC's max settings as long as I don't use wifi or the GPS, with only cellular I can go anywhere without having dropouts. Regarding the differences between 330 vs 660 vs 990, I can definitely hear the difference on sound quality between LDAC @330/AAC vs LDAC @990 (99% of my music files is flac ranging from 16-24bit, MQA, and DSD), the 990 is closer to what I get with my wired IEMs while I can only hear better soundstage on 990 compared to 660, but then again we all hear different results with our own ears

Regarding eartips, an honorable mention to Nuarl's Block Ear+ if you want accurate timbres

2DC4D037-58BB-4E53-9DD0-F32672DE7DDC.jpeg

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2021 at 4:06 AM Post #40,150 of 62,030
My thoughts on some of the LDAC issues:
  1. On Android turning "location" off actually turns off (probably, unless there's a bug) Bluetooth beacons so it does directly affect Bluetooth as well as other stuff not connected with GPS like Wi-Fi alterations. I think in 12 they've been more precise with this rather vague setting.
  2. GPS radio is receive only and so won't interfere with Bluetooth, and is actually very rarely turned on.
  3. CPU "power" to convert FLAC to LDAC. It isn't that intensive for a foreground task on any of the phones you mentioned, so the CPU has the capability of doing it, rather the issue is that it is a background and continuous task. On Android, the background scheduler/power manager is usually quite aggressive at keeping continuous background tasks to a minimum, to save battery life and I believe that is what you're seeing. Note: This is managed by manufacturers specific configuration and code for good reason, so it is phone and software version dependent. You will find the same CPU on a different phone will have different characteristics in this regard.
  4. Wi-Fi and Bluetooth. If Wi-Fi is using 2.4Ghz then they are sharing the same fairly narrow radio spectrum with Bluetooth, only they are using completely different techniques to transmit. Whilst both have techniques to manage this, inevitably there are tradeoffs, and one can be throughput/range. This wouldn't normally matter but LDAC on Bluetooth "Classic" is pushing Bluetooth's original radio design to its limits.

Dec 12, 2021 at 8:34 AM Post #40,151 of 62,030
I'm sorry. I'm just really impressed. They don't have any other of the features we all love, but man, the sound... I was cranking an old album by a band called Badlands. It's old and really needs a remaster (which will probably never happen) but whew, Jake E. Lee sounded sick. Just closed my eyes for a bit and took it all in. Rant over :)
Awesome man. Sounds perfect to me.

Dec 12, 2021 at 8:40 AM Post #40,152 of 62,030
They don’t make voices like Ray Gillen’s anymore.

Dec 12, 2021 at 11:13 AM Post #40,153 of 62,030
Dec 12, 2021 at 11:43 AM Post #40,154 of 62,030
I absolutely love the TANCHJIM T300T tips. Happy to see another user. By far my favorite balance of fit, comfort, and sound. No issues with them ever getting stuck in my ears, either. Even on different nozzles.
I've been recommending them in my reviews for a while. Both the bass and treble options work well for me.

Dec 12, 2021 at 11:56 AM Post #40,155 of 62,030
I've been recommending them in my reviews for a while. Both the bass and treble options work well for me.
Any domestic suppliers? I can find tons of vendors on fleabay (all shipping from China) and international markets, but would rather buy domestically.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back