Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Nov 28, 2021 at 1:07 PM Post #39,691 of 62,013
Pulled out my Sony Z7 and Pono player with balanced cable and getting a reminder of why I loved the Sony sound. Hard to believe how much sound quality we sacrifice to cut the cables...
Ignorance is bliss. Without the ignorance there is no bliss.

Oh, I see the JBL Tour Pro+ is $99.95 for Cyber Monday. More Harman goodness. :)

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2021 at 2:43 PM Post #39,695 of 62,013
Nov 28, 2021 at 4:40 PM Post #39,698 of 62,013
Great deal if you can deal with the bugs.

This is crazy. Complete clone of the other model: https://electronics.woot.com/offers/purada-true-wireless-earbuds-1?ref=w_cnt_lnd_cat_elec_3_53

What the....?! It looks indeed nearly identical.

A lot of brands will use the same casings/housings as it’s pretty cheap to go that route, especially when said casing/housing is made specifically for particular chipsets that exist already. I feel like it can cut down on R&D. I can’t confirm whether or not the drivers are identical though. It’s not uncommon for that to happen though. Note that before Cambridge Audio used that particular housing, I could have sworn I had seen a few TWS using said housing and design. That said, it is 10 bucks, someone who’s heard the CA could purchase them and take a listen.

Nov 28, 2021 at 4:52 PM Post #39,699 of 62,013
A lot of brands will use the same casings/housings as it’s pretty cheap to go that route, especially when said casing/housing is made specifically for particular chipsets that exist already. I feel like it can cut down on R&D. I can’t confirm whether or not the drivers are identical though. It’s not uncommon for that to happen though. Note that before Cambridge Audio used that particular housing, I could have sworn I had seen a few TWS using said housing and design. That said, it is 10 bucks, someone who’s heard the CA could purchase them and take a listen.
Yup. I know. Definitely cuts costs for sure. What I find interesting is that the big brands are able to hold back the clone companies, but it's the indie companies that always suffer. I truly would love to know how the business works in that aspect. NDAs maybe.

Nov 28, 2021 at 5:46 PM Post #39,700 of 62,013

Oh, yeah. Most definitely. The design sharing, OEM game isn't new to me but you mostly see it with Chi-Fi and it's much less common outside of the Asian market.
The somewhat outlier to me always been the Lypertek PurePlay and Noble which was oddly similar.
With this thing being $10 it's a bit of a headscratcher.

Nov 28, 2021 at 6:06 PM Post #39,701 of 62,013
So if I want LDAC and ANC my choices are the Sony Technics soundcore and Edifier.
For those that have heard each what is your opinion?
Can get the Technics for about160$US but have no option to hear them first and no returns allowed.

Nov 28, 2021 at 7:09 PM Post #39,702 of 62,013
Oh, yeah. Most definitely. The design sharing, OEM game isn't new to me but you mostly see it with Chi-Fi and it's much less common outside of the Asian market.
The somewhat outlier to me always been the Lypertek PurePlay and Noble which was oddly similar.
With this thing being $10 it's a bit of a headscratcher.
Lypertek tevi/z3 housing is used quite alot. The AG Tws04k also use the exact same housing yet with different chipset and internals. A few others I have seen with these casings and alot of times they happen to be budget sets as well.

Nov 28, 2021 at 7:17 PM Post #39,703 of 62,013
So if I want LDAC and ANC my choices are the Sony Technics soundcore and Edifier.
For those that have heard each what is your opinion?
Can get the Technics for about160$US but have no option to hear them first and no returns allowed.
I own the older AZ70, Sony 1000XM3, original Soundcore. Out of those the AZ70 was the most audiophile in signature, with the 1000XM3 being next best but much darker in signature, followed by the Soundcore a similar bass level as the Sony but hotter treble that was a bit metallic in signature.

From reading the 1000XM4 is even darker sounding than the XM3, the AZ60 is warmer sounding with slightly dialed back treble, slightly less sub-bass more mid-bass than the AZ70, and the new Song ndcire is more refined than the older model but still a bit hot in the treble.

I will have the AZ60 soon but may not get them before the sale in Canada ends. I will leave impressions when I get them though.

Nov 28, 2021 at 9:19 PM Post #39,704 of 62,013
My vote goes to the Fiil T1XS. You can often find them on Amazon for $50 and 40% off coupon which brings the price down to $27. The have low latency mode so great for watching videos and stuff and they sound awesome and punch above their weight.
Well, I got them for $27 on a lightning deal... But the left earpiece is DOA. Waiting for a replacement but the chifi QC in TWS pairs seems to fit with my preconceived notions of them as being even worse than regular chifi given the increase in things that can go wrong.

Seem pretty slick though, if they worked....

Nov 28, 2021 at 10:17 PM Post #39,705 of 62,013
I own the older AZ70, Sony 1000XM3, original Soundcore. Out of those the AZ70 was the most audiophile in signature, with the 1000XM3 being next best but much darker in signature, followed by the Soundcore a similar bass level as the Sony but hotter treble that was a bit metallic in signature.

From reading the 1000XM4 is even darker sounding than the XM3, the AZ60 is warmer sounding with slightly dialed back treble, slightly less sub-bass more mid-bass than the AZ70, and the new Song ndcire is more refined than the older model but still a bit hot in the treble.

I will have the AZ60 soon but may not get them before the sale in Canada ends. I will leave impressions when I get them though.
I have had all three of these sets. To me I would take the AZ60. The benefits far outweigh the faults of this set. So far LDAC and tws has been a big swing & miss to me. However imo the best implementation of LDAC in this form has to go to the AZ60. They can sound really great and I'm sure will be an endgame set to many.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back