Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Nov 9, 2021 at 1:33 PM Post #39,166 of 62,074
Hey all, as previously mentioned, I'm going to be taking some time off from IEMs to let my tinnitus settle down. Conventional wisdom is IEMS are bad for tinnitus however, it appears speakers are a safer alternative. Going off topic but can anyone recommend a nice desktop hifi setup or BT speakers? Nothing full sized. Just for my desk. I'll probably just stream via Tidal or something like that. I have some sonos which is fine but was thinking of going a bit higher fidelity. Recommendations are appreciated. Hope to be back soon - I already miss this place!

Nov 9, 2021 at 1:39 PM Post #39,167 of 62,074
Nov 9, 2021 at 2:47 PM Post #39,169 of 62,074
Hey all, as previously mentioned, I'm going to be taking some time off from IEMs to let my tinnitus settle down. Conventional wisdom is IEMS are bad for tinnitus however, it appears speakers are a safer alternative. Going off topic but can anyone recommend a nice desktop hifi setup or BT speakers? Nothing full sized. Just for my desk. I'll probably just stream via Tidal or something like that. I have some sonos which is fine but was thinking of going a bit higher fidelity. Recommendations are appreciated. Hope to be back soon - I already miss this place!
I feel you. I have been trying to use over ears when possible these days. Was going to try to travel light and leave the Aonic 50s at home for an upcoming trip but my ears have been telling me that is a bad idea the last few days. I have my eyes on a pair of KEF LS50 Metas for a desktop setup but I am used to having larger speakers and a small sub at my desk. You are probably looking for something smaller. Good luck and hope to see you back soon.

Nov 9, 2021 at 2:53 PM Post #39,171 of 62,074
I used to use Audioengine BT speakers with my Mac setup. Small and powerful. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MYV2527/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Since switched to a few HomePod Mini speakers and headphones until I start to go deaf. My phone keeps telling me to turn it down, ugh. Can't go wrong with those Audioengine A2+ IMO.

Nov 9, 2021 at 3:04 PM Post #39,172 of 62,074
What is this...
IMG_1813.JPG

IMG_1815.JPG

IMG_1816.JPG

IMG_1817.JPG

IMG_1821.JPG
Early impression is the case is very ergonomic and a tank. You can probably step on it. Buds as well are very sturdy plastic. Magnets are quite strong. Tips seem very good so might not even need replacing. There seems to be some room for other tips. Buttons are plastic and in the right place. Fit is very nice. Like the control scheme.

A little hiccup out of the box. I thought they were very low and that scared me. One press on the left is volume up and I got a beep but never a double beep for max volume. I put the L back in the case and took it out again and it fixed it. These have plenty of volume.

First sound impression is, again, solid bass. They always say heavy bass, overwhelming bass, etc. with the solid bass and they always disappoint the bassheads. There is some bass and heft but it is a slight lift more tastefully done. I am not a basshead or in with the neutral crown but want that right in between amount esp. for outside when you lose some to external noise. These have that right amount of boost for outside. SQ out of the box is fun and quite good. Bass is fairly tight out of the box and pretty quick. The sig does have some warmth but it is not the CKR70TW and is better balanced to me. I also don't see any foam inside behind the screen this time.

Quick on the ANC, feedback type only, pretty good but only does low freqs. Need more testing on it of course. Quick transparency drops the volume quite low so you can't hear it so it should just pause but doesn't. Good thing is one press on the L gives you your original volume so you don't have to keep pressing. Transparency setting is pretty natural and quiet for noise. Think it is better than the Jabra here.

Again, the chick doesn't sound Asian and sounds pretty cute. Still might talk a bit much. :)

So far, pretty damn good and as a new model, even a lower series, it should surpass the old. This so far is better ANC, ambient, and SQ than the CKR70TW.

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2021 at 4:20 PM Post #39,174 of 62,074
I feel you. I have been trying to use over ears when possible these days. Was going to try to travel light and leave the Aonic 50s at home for an upcoming trip but my ears have been telling me that is a bad idea the last few days. I have my eyes on a pair of KEF LS50 Metas for a desktop setup but I am used to having larger speakers and a small sub at my desk. You are probably looking for something smaller. Good luck and hope to see you back soon.
Thanks. I will check these options out for sure.

Nov 9, 2021 at 4:21 PM Post #39,175 of 62,074
Nov 9, 2021 at 4:51 PM Post #39,176 of 62,074
Thanks. Those popped up on my search today. Better than Sonos?
I think it'll depends on your use. If only for a computer, yes. I tried to do Sonos with my Mac as a desktop setup and had all sorts of airplay issues. HomePods are working out better. But iTunes had to be connected via Airplay. For some reason, Airplay doesn't want to work with my computer here. The Audioengine speakers can be hooked up BT or hardwired. Sonos, I think it'll be a bit more of a hassle to get what you want. Don't get me wrong, our living room is all Sonos. Love it. That said, if you don't need to connect to a computer, yes, I'd go Sonos. I'm surrounded by Sonos and and Apple ecosystem here. Sorry if that all seemed confusing.

Nov 9, 2021 at 5:10 PM Post #39,177 of 62,074
20 hours on buds! 👍
50 is the magic number but would be nice if they could have gotten 2 full charges extra with the case instead of 1.5.

Size comparison pic...
1636494132880.jpeg

Big but not the biggest. Nuarl size I would say but they are packing a 9mm, two air chambers for the driver and a big battery so to be expected. Easier fit and more comfy than the Nuarl N6 form factor.

Went out to the store. Only a little ANC and it is solid but still out for review. Actually the warmth and the good weight of them was good against external noise and I noticed that made them stand out in the busy store. Ambient again very quiet going on with no click or activation noise outside of the lady. Though the quick transparency on the right bud has no announcement so I could double check easy enough. Again very natural ambient up there with the best/most transparent I have heard.

Tried Spiral Dots and they fit fine in the case. Liked the stock tips SQ a little better. Maybe the ones I used on the CKR70TW I like a smidge better than stock but just a tiny bit. Much better tips than the last gen which were not that close.

The lady still gets confused. If you play or pause on the device she remembers what was last with the earphones so you get her to say pause when you play. :)

These take EQ well. They do like a cooler source of course. Normal(no EQ) on my Cowon is never used since it is cool and a bit unexciting but these warm that up and I like it. Actually like the quality and tone of the treble on these. Delicious bass on one side but quality treble and good mids These are tuned similar to many TWS and the CKR70 I had that they are low end focused and you might want to add to the higher registers. Just better than things like the CKR70TW and the Victor. They have quality through the range and they can be pushed where you want. bass is the star but they can be evened out. Still need to see how the run in changes the bass if it does.

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2021 at 5:26 PM Post #39,178 of 62,074
In addition to what has been mentioned by TK33 and ErockG, for my desktop setup I actually use the Bose speakers and they sound pretty good. Very portable, can stereo link them together, great microphone setup that I use for conference calls all day long. They also play nicely with the AppleTV I have in my office. Very good utility speakers at a reasonable price in my opinion. I have both Sound Link Micro and a SoundLink Revolve II with the latter being a bit bigger, but sounds a bit better. Good luck!

Nov 9, 2021 at 5:42 PM Post #39,179 of 62,074
I think it'll depends on your use. If only for a computer, yes. I tried to do Sonos with my Mac as a desktop setup and had all sorts of airplay issues. HomePods are working out better. But iTunes had to be connected via Airplay. For some reason, Airplay doesn't want to work with my computer here. The Audioengine speakers can be hooked up BT or hardwired. Sonos, I think it'll be a bit more of a hassle to get what you want. Don't get me wrong, our living room is all Sonos. Love it. That said, if you don't need to connect to a computer, yes, I'd go Sonos. I'm surrounded by Sonos and and Apple ecosystem here. Sorry if that all seemed confusing.
Thanks - yeah I don't think I need to connect to my computer. Was just looking for something fun but I'm gonna be keeping volumes low so I'm not gonna have that much fun. I have a couple of Ones now but I'd like to upgrade even though they are fairly decent.

Nov 9, 2021 at 5:44 PM Post #39,180 of 62,074
Thanks - yeah I don't think I need to connect to my computer. Was just looking for something fun but I'm gonna be keeping volumes low so I'm not gonna have that much fun. I have a couple of Ones now but I'd like to upgrade even though they are fairly decent.
I have 2 Ones with a Sub and Arc. Heaven. Sonos has deals for healthcare workers or Costco is great as well. I'm a Sonos advocate for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back