Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Oct 30, 2021 at 6:19 AM Post #38,941 of 62,119
The Anbes/SSK...a blast from the past ! Must admit I'd completely forgotten about these :wink: I owned the SSKs briefly but they were too small for my ears and they kept popping out. I never really got the whole "smallest is better" as long as they're reasonably flush with the ears, like the Echobuds v1 or the Earfun Free Pro.

I don't miss the L3Ps at all, the last time I used them was for running and it was the worst experience I've ever had with TWS with all the auto-pressing after 30' of running/sweating. Somehow they did a reasonable job with ANC On to reduce the "runner's thud". Soundwise, great soundstage but I had that strange gap between sub-bass and bass and there was this "harshness" I never managed to get rid of. The L2Ps don't have it as far as I can tell.

There was a comment about the "Bluetooth Bugs" where the sound cut in and out and yes I got these too, pretty frequently actually and not only when it was connected to two devices at the same time.

Oct 30, 2021 at 7:18 AM Post #38,942 of 62,119
The Anbes/SSK...a blast from the past ! Must admit I'd completely forgotten about these :wink: I owned the SSKs briefly but they were too small for my ears and they kept popping out. I never really got the whole "smallest is better" as long as they're reasonably flush with the ears, like the Echobuds v1 or the Earfun Free Pro.

I don't miss the L3Ps at all, the last time I used them was for running and it was the worst experience I've ever had with TWS with all the auto-pressing after 30' of running/sweating. Somehow they did a reasonable job with ANC On to reduce the "runner's thud". Soundwise, great soundstage but I had that strange gap between sub-bass and bass and there was this "harshness" I never managed to get rid of. The L2Ps don't have it as far as I can tell.

There was a comment about the "Bluetooth Bugs" where the sound cut in and out and yes I got these too, pretty frequently actually and not only when it was connected to two devices at the same time.
saving me money again :D Thanks!

Oct 30, 2021 at 7:34 AM Post #38,943 of 62,119
Sure ! Glad you're getting along well with the Bose QC, I quite liked them I must say but found them a bit big and couldn't really justify their price vs my trusty Echobuds v1 for ANC. BTW did you ever get a hold of the Echobuds v1 ?

On top of their overall isolation and form factor what I like about them is that when you switch to transparent mode you can choose to automatically have the music paused, great in a shop as simply going to Transparent without stopping the music isn't very helpful to have a conversation! The Jabra 65s had that, the 75s too but it was buggy if memory serves.

Oct 30, 2021 at 9:53 AM Post #38,944 of 62,119

Thought I was growing to love my L3P after using the Aregina EQ but there's still that harshness and thinness. I'm experiencing the same issue – the sound cuts out for 2 seconds pretty frequently, even after a reset. Another pet peeve - there's a 50/50 chance one of the buds won't turn off in the case, and I don't want to deal with having to manually adjust and wait for them to disconnect every time I put them back in.

Oct 30, 2021 at 10:06 AM Post #38,945 of 62,119
Thought I was growing to love my L3P after using the Aregina EQ but there's still that harshness and thinness. I'm experiencing the same issue – the sound cuts out for 2 seconds pretty frequently, even after a reset. Another pet peeve - there's a 50/50 chance one of the buds won't turn off in the case, and I don't want to deal with having to manually adjust and wait for them to disconnect every time I put them back in.
I get the right bud not sitting perfect in the case thing as well. I used that eq as well, after hear if and then I moved the EQ around from there. I will say that they are much much better now but yes, still thin in certain areas. Clarity and resolution, staging are great, bass is great, Soundstage is above average but they are thin.

Oct 30, 2021 at 10:12 AM Post #38,946 of 62,119
I get the right bud not sitting perfect in the case thing as well. I used that eq as well, after hear if and then I moved the EQ around from there. I will say that they are much much better now but yes, still thin in certain areas. Clarity and resolution, staging are great, bass is great, Soundstage is above average but they are thin.
Mind sharing your EQ settings?

Oct 30, 2021 at 11:53 AM Post #38,948 of 62,119
No offense to them but if they talk about huge having fit issues there you can't take much stock in sound impressions with a bad fit. :)

You got all the other stuff people try that is sometimes around the house. Cotton(from ball or swab:)), pantyhose, teabag or coffee filters, old t-shirt, earbud foam, etc. Those mostly just go in the tip or under it and over the bore. Some trial and error and you can nail it!
I don’t think that should be what the person takes note of either. I don’t mean fit as in “these don’t seal well/fall out of my ears” I mean fit issues as in that they hurt my ears because of the way they’re shaped. I still use them and can fit them well, they just kinda… hurt after awhile.

What specifically don't you like about the Devialet Geminis midrange and treble?
To me the midrange lacks a bit of clarity and it’s very hard to get vocals to sound full-bodied even when EQ:ing them in the app.

The treble also gives me a lot of sibilance and is a little too harsh if I listen to it on the volume levels I prefer. If I EQ it up a bit to get some more sparkle it completely obliterates my ears.

With that said I do like them for some genres of music more than my other earbuds. Really nice with some electronic music but less nice with some more acoustic or vocal-based music. Honestly still good all around, just not perfect when it comes to some aspects of the sound for my taste.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2021 at 12:13 PM Post #38,949 of 62,119
Mind sharing your EQ settings?
Honestly it wouldn't be too much good to you because I applied my eq after the Hear ID. I can tell you that for me... Personally... I added alot of db's (4-5) to 800hz and a slight bump to 400hz (2-3). I dropped 1.6 a hair and then gave 3.2hz a 4-5 dB bump. Next I dropped everything at 6.4 and higher way way down. As far as the low end... Put it where you like it as it doesn't impede much on the rest of the spectrum. Sorry this is kind of vague but hear id kind of sculpts things before you eq them... So basically take this all with a grain of salt.

Oct 30, 2021 at 1:02 PM Post #38,950 of 62,119
I've just had another good result with the LP3's.

After more tip fiddling, I thought I should fiddle with those wings as well after all. The already fitted ones were ok, but when I tried my OEM memory foam tips before, they wouldn't stay in ears. I thought it was the short stem on the LP3'S. But now I'm finding that the largest wingtip locks them in an absolute treat! I push the memory foam buds right down on the stem and now they stay in fine.

Had a play with both balanced and bass tips from my NF Audio's and a size up on the stock LP3 tips. Also experimented with tea bags, lol, but that appeared to just muddy what was a clean bass without particularly taming the harsh trebles.

So my memory foam tips, with large wing tips have me pretty happy for now. Getting a little bit of discomfort though from my memory foam tips appearing not to be quite thick enough, so the hard inner rings can touch my ear at times. Is there a particular Comply version that will tame trebles without 'enhancing' bass (that'll just muddy these LP3's up as the bass is already perfect in weight and tightness) that is worth paying the extra for?

Oct 30, 2021 at 1:10 PM Post #38,951 of 62,119
I've just had another good result with the LP3's.

After more tip fiddling, I thought I should fiddle with those wings as well after all. The already fitted ones were ok, but when I tried my OEM memory foam tips before, they wouldn't stay in ears. I thought it was the short stem on the LP3'S. But now I'm finding that the largest wingtip locks them in an absolute treat! I push the memory foam buds right down on the stem and now they stay in fine.

Had a play with both balanced and bass tips from my NF Audio's and a size up on the stock LP3 tips. Also experimented with tea bags, lol, but that appeared to just muddy what was a clean bass without particularly taming the harsh trebles.

So my memory foam tips, with large wing tips have me pretty happy for now. Getting a little bit of discomfort though from my memory foam tips appearing not to be quite thick enough, so the hard inner rings can touch my ear at times. Is there a particular Comply version that will tame trebles without 'enhancing' bass (that'll just muddy these LP3's up as the bass is already perfect in weight and tightness) that is worth paying the extra for?
It may not suit you but I use the Tfz no. 3 tips (almost 100% on that.. Lol) on mine which push the tip just enough into the ear. I played with a few others and many work OK but they also have to sit in the case which seems to always be the struggle when tip changing tws. As far as memory foam, I wish I had an answer for you but I just don't get along well with memory foam.

Attachments

• 20211030_130803.jpg
    20211030_130803.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Oct 30, 2021 at 1:24 PM Post #38,952 of 62,119
It may not suit you but I use the Tfz no. 3 tips (almost 100% on that.. Lol) on mine which push the tip just enough into the ear. I played with a few others and many work OK but they also have to sit in the case which seems to always be the struggle when tip changing tws. As far as memory foam, I wish I had an answer for you but I just don't get along well with memory foam.
Thanks, but unless I'm missing something, it doesn't seem like Tfz no. 3 tips alone are available?

Agreed on sitting in the case. The memory foam tips I have on at the mo just about sit in the case. Luckily they do fit, but not as easily as the stock ones.

How would something like spinfits adjust sound signature? I'veve never tried them. I'm keen for something that might help tame the treble harshness even further, yet without enchancing the bass.

Oct 30, 2021 at 2:05 PM Post #38,953 of 62,119
Honestly it wouldn't be too much good to you because I applied my eq after the Hear ID. I can tell you that for me... Personally... I added alot of db's (4-5) to 800hz and a slight bump to 400hz (2-3). I dropped 1.6 a hair and then gave 3.2hz a 4-5 dB bump. Next I dropped everything at 6.4 and higher way way down. As far as the low end... Put it where you like it as it doesn't impede much on the rest of the spectrum. Sorry this is kind of vague but hear id kind of sculpts things before you eq them... So basically take this all with a grain of salt.
Appreciate the context. I was EQing straight from Custom mode rather than Hear ID -> Custom. I’ll try that next. Thanks!

Oct 30, 2021 at 4:41 PM Post #38,954 of 62,119
Thanks, but unless I'm missing something, it doesn't seem like Tfz no. 3 tips alone are available?

Agreed on sitting in the case. The memory foam tips I have on at the mo just about sit in the case. Luckily they do fit, but not as easily as the stock ones.

How would something like spinfits adjust sound signature? I'veve never tried them. I'm keen for something that might help tame the treble harshness even further, yet without enchancing the bass.
Ya, I was just trying to give an example of tips that would work. To bring the treble down you the best you can do is eq these. IMO. Tips will help a bit but eq quenched it the most for me, unless anyone else has another idea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back