Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Oct 13, 2021 at 6:36 PM Post #38,371 of 61,391
I don’t own many pair of TWS, but as a new glasses wearer I wanted to find a TWS replacement for my B&W PX over ears. I bought and tried the Sony XM4, Sennheiser MTW2, Klipsch T5 II ANC, Master and Dynamic MW08, Melomania Touch, B&W PI7 and PI5, and Devialet Gemini. The Gemini won the bake off. I love the sound so much.

I also have a pair of Apple AirPods Pro I use mostly for calls and the like. They sound ok, but wanted something more.
And you have no problems at all with the Geminis, regarding "snap, crackle and pops"?!?!
My new pair, second one, are as bad as the first. Far worse left side, and unusable with ANC High On.
It must be something anatomical in my left ear canal then... ? :frowning2:

Oct 13, 2021 at 7:05 PM Post #38,372 of 61,391
And you have no problems at all with the Geminis, regarding "snap, crackle and pops"?!?!
My new pair, second one, are as bad as the first. Far worse left side, and unusable with ANC High On.
It must be something anatomical in my left ear canal then... ? :frowning2:
Sorry to hear they aren’t working out for you…I was psyched when you said you were getting replacements. I do not get those noises, but also don’t use ANC high. I sometimes get noises when first putting them in or when walking but nothing as extreme as the sounds you’re describing.

Edit: ok, if I move them around in my ears with ANC high on I hear the popping. I sometimes get similar with transparency high.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2021 at 7:12 PM Post #38,373 of 61,391
I was really hoping Oluv would have done a review by now, but he hasn't.
Wow, I have to admit I wasn't familiar with Oluv but he's got some great reviews and isn't shy to explain how he produces his audio clips.

Has anyone here gone for the Earfun Free Pro Oluv edition ? Not that they're available anymore apparently. I'm not sure he'll be a big fan of the L3Ps as he gave the Soundcore Lifes a pretty poor rating.

Oct 13, 2021 at 7:21 PM Post #38,374 of 61,391
I have had the LP3 since Saturday, first up couldn’t find them in the Android app(Samsung S21 ultra), had to use my iPad to set them up instead.
They are smaller than the 2s and feel more stable in my small ears. Sound wise I’d say an extreme focus on the highs with vocals recessed and bass not really showing up to the party. Currently running them with custom eq rather than the Hear-ID eq as the Hear-ID seemed to increase the treble even more, although can’t recall any sibilance. Running the hearid anc seemed to improve the ambient sound feature but didn’t do much for the anc side of this which remains next to non-existent. Had to reset them once after installed LDAC update as right side touch panel stopped responding.
Really like the control you get in the Soundcore app though. The LP3 seem to take over the volume control of what they are connected to (used hi by r3pro saber, Sony nw55, Samsung s9+ iPad 2020 and Samsung s21 ultra). The LP3s sound reminds me of the P17s (without the P17s bass).

Got the Shure TW2 and had them paired with the Shure 535 (can’t remember where I put my 846s but need to find them and try them with the TW2), swapped them out for the tin hifi P1 on the 215 setting in the app (which seemed to increase power available), as others have said previously, the TW2 are really difficult to wear when out and about with a mask, anc works to a decent level not as good as the devialet or Sony wm4 but usable on London Underground, same for ambient sound.

Also picked up in recent weeks the Moondrop Sparks (x2 first pair right side touch panel became unresponsive after the short lived update that added volume control, got sent out another pair), Nuheara Iqbuds 2 Max (really good ambient mode, anc not so effective), Klipsch T5 ANC version, Samsung Buds 2, Jabra 3, Nothing 1 and had to get the right side of the Noble Pro replaced due to the dreaded nozzle issue.

Need to send the Gemini in for repair though as I am getting what seems like driver flex with every head movement at high volume.

Oct 13, 2021 at 8:27 PM Post #38,375 of 61,391
Tempted by the L3Ps, early reviews are a bit mixed suggesting a few issues, call quality, touch control response etc. But spec and price are so tempting and I do have a soft spot for Anker stuff. Pretty happy with my L2Ps, once I got the revised version to fix hiss problem.

Been looking at XM4's etc but hard to stomach paying £250 vs £120. I'm sure they are good but still not perfect. Still got 24 hours left on offer, will see if anymore real reviews show up.....

Use Fiio FH3 with BTR3k for my daily listen but want convenience of TWS and ANC to use on public transport and flights.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2021 at 11:38 PM Post #38,376 of 61,391
The jump from a 70-100 dollar IEMs to 300-400 can be pretty substantial in the headphone world and tends to produce better sound (that can also be different). If the upgrade isn't worth it, that would imply that there exists a 75 dollar or 100 dollar IEM that sounds as good as a 300 dollar or 400 dollar IEM, respectively. I'd argue that you'd be very hard pressed to find such an IEM.

Though if you're talking about a 300 dollar TWS only sounding as good as a 100 dollar wired IEM, this is typically true. Most of the higher-priced TWS headphones add in a slew of features which eat up into costs. However, if a manufacturer could in theory make an audio-focused, no-frills TWS without said features, they might be able to make a 300 dollar TWS that sounds similar to a 2-250 dollar wired IEM. By that same token, people gave HiFiMan a bunch of flack in this thread for doing just that. Though Noble Audio was pretty well regarded with their entry.

Keep in mind that the SE846 and SE535 with added adapters is essentially a 1000 and 500 dollar TWS, respectively. So of course they'll end up sounding better. Though something like the Shure Aonic 3 might have similar SQ to a 350-400 dollar audio-dedicated TWS. The major issue is that when the battery dies on the TWS headphone, you end up needing to replace the headphone. When it dies on the adapted headphone, you replace the adapter. One is definitely cheaper than the other.

Yeah, I know what you mean and I think when it comes to wired earphones the jump between $100 to $300-$400 is massive but when it comes to TWS to my ears the leap forward in performance isn't that big and the rule of diminishing returns is starting to show past the $150 mark.

Based on my experience, the Fill T1XS, Sennheiser CX 400BT, Soundcore Liberty 2 Pro+, Soundcore Life P3 and even Monster Inspiration 700 all sound excellent and provide different flavors of sound and features. Some also like the sound of the CA MT but this wasn't my cup of tea.
Over the ears I demoed or bought and returned the Bose SoundSport, Sony WF-1000XM3, M&D MW07 Go and the Grado and while the performance was better the price difference was quite significant for mainly features and maybe 15%-20% for better sound of any but all the ones I have had over the ears are between $30-$100.

Now I haven't tried the Geminis or the latest and greatest TOTL TWS that popped up recently like the Noble ones but they will have to blow me away and be free of bugs to justify the cost.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2021 at 12:40 AM Post #38,377 of 61,391
The jump from a 70-100 dollar IEMs to 300-400 can be pretty substantial in the headphone world and tends to produce better sound (that can also be different). If the upgrade isn't worth it, that would imply that there exists a 75 dollar or 100 dollar IEM that sounds as good as a 300 dollar or 400 dollar IEM, respectively. I'd argue that you'd be very hard pressed to find such an IEM.

Though if you're talking about a 300 dollar TWS only sounding as good as a 100 dollar wired IEM, this is typically true. Most of the higher-priced TWS headphones add in a slew of features which eat up into costs. However, if a manufacturer could in theory make an audio-focused, no-frills TWS without said features, they might be able to make a 300 dollar TWS that sounds similar to a 2-250 dollar wired IEM. By that same token, people gave HiFiMan a bunch of flack in this thread for doing just that. Though Noble Audio was pretty well regarded with their entry.

Keep in mind that the SE846 and SE535 with added adapters is essentially a 1000 and 500 dollar TWS, respectively. So of course they'll end up sounding better. Though something like the Shure Aonic 3 might have similar SQ to a 350-400 dollar audio-dedicated TWS. The major issue is that when the battery dies on the TWS headphone, you end up needing to replace the headphone. When it dies on the adapted headphone, you replace the adapter. One is definitely cheaper than the other.

Even pairing 40usd BT20S Pro or 80usd with sub 100usd IEMs like KZ, Tinaudio, Moondrop Aria, and other choices would be a better bang for the buck, if sound quality is the only deciding factor.
The only time i would like to spend more than 150 usd for a TWS is usually if i want that specific extra tech/features (ANC, clearer ambient mode, build quality, app support, mic quality, etc) that i think are still not achievable (quality-wise) by the budget TWS.

most audiophile companies that want to create an audio focused TWS would use their skills in physical tuning, which is (in my perspective) would be a rather uphill battle to compete with the wired counterparts in the same price bracket.

i think the only way to make an audio focused TWS at reasonable price would come to DSP tuning, which is apparently not something that small audiophile IEM companies dabble at the moment.. the bigger tech companies like Apple, Samsung, Sony, Huawei, etc might have the better chance at this

Oct 14, 2021 at 3:18 AM Post #38,378 of 61,391
Wow, I have to admit I wasn't familiar with Oluv but he's got some great reviews and isn't shy to explain how he produces his audio clips.

Has anyone here gone for the Earfun Free Pro Oluv edition ? Not that they're available anymore apparently. I'm not sure he'll be a big fan of the L3Ps as he gave the Soundcore Lifes a pretty poor rating.
From the wireless earbud reviews I've seen of his, had I been about at the time of release, I would have snapped up the earfuns that he tuned. At that price, they seemed to excel against all the others he tested.

I have a lot of time for him. Open honest reviews, and you know that he favours a 'neutral', 'reference' sound, so you can take your cue from that with his reviews.

I was a bit concerned, regarding his review of the Soundcore Liberty air 2 Pro. Mainly because I agreed with him from the tests I heard. But he did say how customisable they are from the excellent app, although he said he couldn't quite adjust them far enough for to get the sound of his liking. But the LP3s should, in theory, be an improvement on the 2's, so we'll see.

Oct 14, 2021 at 3:32 AM Post #38,379 of 61,391
From the wireless earbud reviews I've seen of his, had I been about at the time of release, I would have snapped up the earfuns that he tuned. At that price, they seemed to excel against all the others he tested.

I have a lot of time for him. Open honest reviews, and you know that he favours a 'neutral', 'reference' sound, so you can take your cue from that with his reviews.

I was a bit concerned, regarding his review of the Soundcore Liberty air 2 Pro. Mainly because I agreed with him from the tests I heard. But he did say how customisable they are from the excellent app, although he said he couldn't quite adjust them far enough for to get the sound of his liking. But the LP3s should, in theory, be an improvement on the 2's, so we'll see.
The Earfun TWS as far as I know are OEM used by Fiil as Earfun doesn’t manufacture them, maybe they tune them. I have no clue.
Problem with Earfun isthat there is no app available which means if you’re an iOS user you don’t have equalizer. I believe the Oluv edition was tuned to sound like Etymotic XR meaning very flat response with boosted bass.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2021 at 3:34 AM Post #38,380 of 61,391
I have had the LP3 since Saturday, first up couldn’t find them in the Android app(Samsung S21 ultra), had to use my iPad to set them up instead.
They are smaller than the 2s and feel more stable in my small ears. Sound wise I’d say an extreme focus on the highs with vocals recessed and bass not really showing up to the party. Currently running them with custom eq rather than the Hear-ID eq as the Hear-ID seemed to increase the treble even more, although can’t recall any sibilance. Running the hearid anc seemed to improve the ambient sound feature but didn’t do much for the anc side of this which remains next to non-existent. Had to reset them once after installed LDAC update as right side touch panel stopped responding.
Really like the control you get in the Soundcore app though. The LP3 seem to take over the volume control of what they are connected to (used hi by r3pro saber, Sony nw55, Samsung s9+ iPad 2020 and Samsung s21 ultra). The LP3s sound reminds me of the P17s (without the P17s bass).

Got the Shure TW2 and had them paired with the Shure 535 (can’t remember where I put my 846s but need to find them and try them with the TW2), swapped them out for the tin hifi P1 on the 215 setting in the app (which seemed to increase power available), as others have said previously, the TW2 are really difficult to wear when out and about with a mask, anc works to a decent level not as good as the devialet or Sony wm4 but usable on London Underground, same for ambient sound.

Also picked up in recent weeks the Moondrop Sparks (x2 first pair right side touch panel became unresponsive after the short lived update that added volume control, got sent out another pair), Nuheara Iqbuds 2 Max (really good ambient mode, anc not so effective), Klipsch T5 ANC version, Samsung Buds 2, Jabra 3, Nothing 1 and had to get the right side of the Noble Pro replaced due to the dreaded nozzle issue.

Need to send the Gemini in for repair though as I am getting what seems like driver flex with every head movement at high volume.
Thanks for the LP3 feedback.

I've only heard two very brief sound tests on YouTube. Comparing them to the MX4's and a Sennheiser (model escapes me now). Both tests made the LP3s sound thin to me. They sounded bright, and with the reviewer and others raving about the bass, all I could think was.... What bass?

My own brief perception mirrors your experience then. Here's hoping I can get a decent tune out of them.

Oct 14, 2021 at 3:43 AM Post #38,381 of 61,391
Agreed. I had the Liberty 2 pro Plus which is the upgraded version with LDAC support and ambient. The highs were definitely thin and the mids were a bit too weak for my taste. Keep in mind the use the balance armature driver the mids and highs accordingly to one review (can’t remember which one) so that explains why they are rather thin sounding.
HearID was underwhelming for me as the suggested eq was way too bright but it can be used as a base to tweak it even further. The biggest selling point of these and and the previous gens is the level of customization that you can achieve with with the eq which is very responsive.
My Sennheiser CX 400BT have this pretty basic app and and the eq is nowhere near being as good as the Soundcore app.
for $150 I don’t think you can go wrong with them really with all the features that your getting but for me I feel like I prefer the Sennheiser sound signature better.
If you don’t think you need all these features the Sennheiser CX, CX Plus and the (discontinued?) CX 400BT might be better options for you.
Not sure if this has been mentioned here before (I am still playing catch up) ... but I have not played with my Liberty AIR 2 Pro in a while .. imagine my surprise when I put them in, connect, and app asks me 'do you want to upgrade to LDAC?' .. so, I install new firmware and allegedly it does LDAC now .. it connects to my TempoTec V1A using LDAC ... hard to do an exact A/B .. but sounds legit!

Are there any others that have gotten LDAC with new firmware?

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2021 at 4:13 AM Post #38,382 of 61,391
Not sure if this has been mentioned here before (I am still playing catch up) ... but I have not played with my Liberty AIR 2 Pro in a while .. imagine my surprise when I put them in, connect, and app asks me 'do you want to upgrade to LDAC?' .. so, I install new firmware and allegedly it does LDAC now .. it connects to my TempoTec V1A using LDAC ... hard to do an exact A/B .. but sounds legit!

Are there any others that have gotten LDAC with new firmware?

Interesting. I purchased the Liberty 2 Pro+ last month which is the same as the older version just with ambient mode and LDAC. They sounded very good but I felt like the mids were a bit dry and a few tracked the mids were sort of uninspiring. They weren’t recessed though just a bit weak and ended up returning them despite getting them for a great price.

Oct 14, 2021 at 4:16 AM Post #38,383 of 61,391
Thanks for the LP3 feedback.

I've only heard two very brief sound tests on YouTube. Comparing them to the MX4's and a Sennheiser (model escapes me now). Both tests made the LP3s sound thin to me. They sounded bright, and with the reviewer and others raving about the bass, all I could think was.... What bass?

My own brief perception mirrors your experience then. Here's hoping I can get a decent tune out of them.
Soundcore app is really good and you shouldn’t have any issues tweaking them. The eq is very responsive so I won’t worry about it but the question is do they have the ability to sound a bit fuller and rich? The Liberty 2 Pro+ were a bit lacking in the mids department- see my comment above.

Oct 14, 2021 at 4:20 AM Post #38,384 of 61,391

Actually I just found out his channel used to be called "Clavinetjunkie" ! I knew that voice and style was somewhat familiar :wink: I watched his portable bluetooth speaker reviews around 2016 and I remember a comment along the lines of "people ask me why I listen to crap music", hehe...

Yeah the Earfuns are FILL "derivatives", the Oluv edition was the v2 that was smaller and with added (and weak sauce) ANC. There is an iOS app for my FILL but there is no EQ as far as I can remember. I mostly used them for watching videos as there is a low latency setting. I wonder why they can't have another Oluv Earfun run...

Anyway I bit the bullet on the L3Ps and will compare their overall (passive+active) isolation to my Echobuds that remain to my ears the best overall isolation solution.

Oct 14, 2021 at 5:08 AM Post #38,385 of 61,391
Actually I just found out his channel used to be called "Clavinetjunkie" ! I knew that voice and style was somewhat familiar :wink: I watched his portable bluetooth speaker reviews around 2016 and I remember a comment along the lines of "people ask me why I listen to crap music", hehe...

Yeah the Earfuns are FILL "derivatives", the Oluv edition was the v2 that was smaller and with added (and weak sauce) ANC. There is an iOS app for my FILL but there is no EQ as far as I can remember. I mostly used them for watching videos as there is a low latency setting. I wonder why they can't have another Oluv Earfun run...

Anyway I bit the bullet on the L3Ps and will compare their overall (passive+active) isolation to my Echobuds that remain to my ears the best overall isolation solution.
Yeah l the Fill+ app has full equalizer and presets. It has some nice features like low latency as you mentioned, ambient mode, DSP sound quality enhancement, ability to adjust the touch control sensitivity and a few other options.
I really like the Fiil T1XS. I prefer the sound signature of them to the Sennheiser CX 400BT. Mids are a bit more forward and more juicy, bass is not super super tight but big natural like a sub-woofer and the soundstage is good too. The Sennheiser CX 400BT are a little more refined and polite but can sound a bit too dull with certain tracks but the Fiil makes all tracks comes to life.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back