Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Oct 13, 2021 at 6:51 AM Post #38,356 of 62,114
The Shure TWS + the SE846 or the SE535 might be my TWS end game eventually because at this point unlike wired earphones, I don't feel like the jump between $70-$100 to $300-$400 is worth it. Yes, you get different flavors and sometimes added features but not necessarily better sound.
When out and about my current setup when I need superb passive NC is the Fiil T1XS (purchased on sale for $30) and the Sennheiser CX 400BT (purchased on sale for $60 on sale) and I enjoy them much more than a bunch of more expensive TWS and wired earphones that I own.
When buying wired I normally look for best bang for my buck and avoid Chi-Fi and avoid paying retail prices but with TWS it's a different ball game for me.
I’ve been thinking I should have given the CX line a chance.

Oct 13, 2021 at 10:03 AM Post #38,357 of 62,114
I need to mention that I'm absolutely loving the Devialet Gemini now, the sound has really warmed up on me after a few days + some work on finding an EQ that fits my ears.
I'm somewhat of a big proponent of the idea of "brain burn-in" because I feel like that's definitely something that has happened here because the sound is not the same as I felt like it was when I took a step from the MTW2's. I felt like the Geminis sounded good but didn't convey more organic instrumentation decently, which is not what I feel anymore at all. It still has some weak points but well, so does every earbud I've tried so far.

If we're mentioning negatives too however, i'd say that the battery is a bit of a disappointment, but also the fact that they massively hurt my ears which is a huge bummer. I feel like i'm getting back the weird chafing on the inside of my tragus that I got from wearing another set of earbuds a couple of months back that had since healed... so that sucks. Ordered a pair of over-ear headphones so I can hopefully minimize my use of earbuds to when i'm out and about and use the over-ears when i'm at home etc.
Sorry to hear about the discomfort, but this made me notice for the first time that my tragus' flange outward, so there is no pressure or rubbing for me. God knows why; ears are so weird.

Oct 13, 2021 at 10:21 AM Post #38,358 of 62,114
The Shure TWS + the SE846 or the SE535 might be my TWS end game eventually because at this point unlike wired earphones, I don't feel like the jump between $70-$100 to $300-$400 is worth it. Yes, you get different flavors and sometimes added features but not necessarily better sound.
When out and about my current setup when I need superb passive NC is the Fiil T1XS (purchased on sale for $30) and the Sennheiser CX 400BT (purchased on sale for $60 on sale) and I enjoy them much more than a bunch of more expensive TWS and wired earphones that I own.
When buying wired I normally look for best bang for my buck and avoid Chi-Fi and avoid paying retail prices but with TWS it's a different ball game for me.
The jump from a 70-100 dollar IEMs to 300-400 can be pretty substantial in the headphone world and tends to produce better sound (that can also be different). If the upgrade isn't worth it, that would imply that there exists a 75 dollar or 100 dollar IEM that sounds as good as a 300 dollar or 400 dollar IEM, respectively. I'd argue that you'd be very hard pressed to find such an IEM.

Though if you're talking about a 300 dollar TWS only sounding as good as a 100 dollar wired IEM, this is typically true. Most of the higher-priced TWS headphones add in a slew of features which eat up into costs. However, if a manufacturer could in theory make an audio-focused, no-frills TWS without said features, they might be able to make a 300 dollar TWS that sounds similar to a 2-250 dollar wired IEM. By that same token, people gave HiFiMan a bunch of flack in this thread for doing just that. Though Noble Audio was pretty well regarded with their entry.

Keep in mind that the SE846 and SE535 with added adapters is essentially a 1000 and 500 dollar TWS, respectively. So of course they'll end up sounding better. Though something like the Shure Aonic 3 might have similar SQ to a 350-400 dollar audio-dedicated TWS. The major issue is that when the battery dies on the TWS headphone, you end up needing to replace the headphone. When it dies on the adapted headphone, you replace the adapter. One is definitely cheaper than the other.

Oct 13, 2021 at 10:49 AM Post #38,359 of 62,114
The EQs do sound very good. Probably one of the best sounding TWS I have heard to date. Still, as long as they don't fix the annoying flaws and inconveniences (for me), I will stay with the MW08S.

I tried all the major players, namely the MTW2, WF-1000XM4, PI7, EQs, Airpods Pro and the MW08S and ultimately kept the MW08S.

Sound quality is more than sufficiently good, fit is perfect, battery life is phenomenal, build quality and design are excellent and I love the physical buttons and the case. ANC, while not the best, is solid and call quality good (at least before the latest update somehow). Tough to beat as a whole package for me right now. They might be too bassy for some but they are fun, engaging and loud :)
Can't disagree with any this although for me the bass is too boomy on certain tracks and was something I just couldn't get over. Otherwise it's a really great product.

Oct 13, 2021 at 10:50 AM Post #38,360 of 62,114
The jump from a 70-100 dollar IEMs to 300-400 can be pretty substantial in the headphone world and tends to produce better sound (that can also be different). If the upgrade isn't worth it, that would imply that there exists a 75 dollar or 100 dollar IEM that sounds as good as a 300 dollar or 400 dollar IEM, respectively. I'd argue that you'd be very hard pressed to find such an IEM.

Though if you're talking about a 300 dollar TWS only sounding as good as a 100 dollar wired IEM, this is typically true. Most of the higher-priced TWS headphones add in a slew of features which eat up into costs. However, if a manufacturer could in theory make an audio-focused, no-frills TWS without said features, they might be able to make a 300 dollar TWS that sounds similar to a 2-250 dollar wired IEM. By that same token, people gave HiFiMan a bunch of flack in this thread for doing just that. Though Noble Audio was pretty well regarded with their entry.

Keep in mind that the SE846 and SE535 with added adapters is essentially a 1000 and 500 dollar TWS, respectively. So of course they'll end up sounding better. Though something like the Shure Aonic 3 might have similar SQ to a 350-400 dollar audio-dedicated TWS. The major issue is that when the battery dies on the TWS headphone, you end up needing to replace the headphone. When it dies on the adapted headphone, you replace the adapter. One is definitely cheaper than the other.
Fingers crossed but the Fokus may achieve this. We shall see.

Oct 13, 2021 at 11:45 AM Post #38,361 of 62,114
I’ve been thinking I should have given the CX line a chance.
I can vouch for the CX Plus. Pretty surprised they are so good for such a price.

Oct 13, 2021 at 12:03 PM Post #38,362 of 62,114
One day and 12 hours left to get the LP3s at £120. Which is £20 off, and the claimed price again on Black Friday.

I really wish there were some in depth reviews on places like here from actual users that have had them for a week or so on regular play. Rather than just the endless unboxing and first impression hype reviews elsewhere.

Still looking likely I'll be pulling the trigger on these before tomorrow is out, as my first ever exploration of wireless listening. They really do appear to tick all my boxes. Good to have reassurance on here regarding the 30 day return option at least.

Oct 13, 2021 at 12:13 PM Post #38,363 of 62,114
In chronological order, I have Galaxy Buds (wife still uses and keeps in the diaper bag), Senn MTW (original), MW07 Go (returned and bought again because of battery issue), JBL Reflect Flow (exchanged once in a Harman store due to driver flex), 2 pairs of Galaxy Buds Live (1 was replaced under warranty), B&W PI7 (replaced under warranty twice before I got a working set), and most recently the Shure TW2 with my trusty SE846.

Ever since I got the TW2, it (with my Shure SE846) has been my go to for wireless music with the PI7s still getting some use because the TW2 can be a bit annoying when the mask gets tangled in it (my two favorites so far). I don't think regular TWS can compete with the adapter (like TW2) + favorite IEM but I also really enjoy the SQ and signature of the PI7. Galaxy Buds Live are great for calls and everything else is sitting in a box in my closet or the aforementioned diaper bag but still work fine. My desire to buy something new always seems to render these things "disposable" even before any real battery degradation occurs.

I think next up for me are the Galaxy Buds Pro or Buds 2 (still undecided but I need to spend my $100 Samsung preorder credit) and am still hoping a Senn MTW3 comes out. I really enjoyed the MTW but the MTW2 was just never a compelling enough upgrade for me. The MTW2 have been getting heavily discounted recently so that could be a good option. Also still looking forward to impressions on the Jabra Elite 7s when they start shipping this week.

With TWS, I recommend buying from somewhere with a good return policy since everyone's ears are different and they don't always work for everyone (fit and preferred sound signature). Also, as you can see from discussions in this thread, QC issues seem to be the norm (or I just have really really bad luck).
If you go with the Galaxy Buds Pro.... The stock tips are God awful. I use a slightly ressesed tips that I got with the Fiio Fd3 or the Fiio FH5... Can't remember. They open up the sound soooo much. I have an enormous Tupperware full of tips and so I normally experiment until I find one that works. The GBP is difficult to find any that sit well inside the case. After you do find a good solution the GBP sound very nice. With these tips they actually go into my ear and have a great seal whereas the stock tips seem to just hover over the ear canal

Oct 13, 2021 at 12:19 PM Post #38,364 of 62,114
One day and 12 hours left to get the LP3s at £120. Which is £20 off, and the claimed price again on Black Friday.

I really wish there were some in depth reviews on places like here from actual users that have had them for a week or so on regular play. Rather than just the endless unboxing and first impression hype reviews elsewhere.

Still looking likely I'll be pulling the trigger on these before tomorrow is out, as my first ever exploration of wireless listening. They really do appear to tick all my boxes. Good to have reassurance on here regarding the 30 day return option at least.
Looking forward to your impressions!

Oct 13, 2021 at 12:28 PM Post #38,365 of 62,114
Looking forward to your impressions!
You may have to wait a while as I'm going to be a bit of a tart and go for the purple ones:smile:

There's a bit of a longer wait on those unfortunately.

Oct 13, 2021 at 1:35 PM Post #38,367 of 62,114
Has anyone found an L3P review with "listen for yourself" for the ANC like "Jim's Review Room" used to do ? EBP Man does actual comparisons but only for call quality it seems.

Oct 13, 2021 at 1:49 PM Post #38,368 of 62,114
Has anyone found an L3P review with "listen for yourself" for the ANC like "Jim's Review Room" used to do ? EBP Man does actual comparisons but only for call quality it seems.
I was really hoping Oluv would have done a review by now, but he hasn't.

Oct 13, 2021 at 4:27 PM Post #38,369 of 62,114
Yeah I'm not sure why no one's doing a "hear it as it is" test, EBPMan has the proper setup apparently since he does it for music.

Oct 13, 2021 at 5:43 PM Post #38,370 of 62,114
JVC being cryptic as far as the Victor brand. Setting an announcement for 10/13. They do reveal it seems to be a TWS but 10/20 will be the full reveal. One to watch. I did have the first one. Still gets good reviews and people who have had both said it is similar to the Senn MTW2 and some preferred the Victor for sound. Was much smaller and better fitting than the Senn.

So far on the new one...
victor.jpg

https://www.victor.jp/teaser2110/mv/teaser02-sp.mp4
(with the trees it has to be a woodie driver right?)

One to watch for sure. They have done the improvements through other models and it should show here. They are much better now for the mics, battery, connection than the early days. Finally dropped micro USB so these should be intriguing. They have been sticking to ambient on the right and play/pause on the left bud so that might stay but curious if they will swap that or allow us to in an app.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back