Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Oct 11, 2021 at 4:52 PM Post #38,326 of 62,014
I've yet to pull the trigger on a pair of true wireless earbuds. Never used wireless headphones/buds before in fact.

I'm quite interested in making the L3P's my first attempt, as they tick a lot of boxes. Particularly LDAC support and at a sensible price point. I'll be using them with my Sony NW ZX300, although main listening there will still be wired.

My main requirement is sound quality and comfort, then the ANC. Not interested in other features as will rarely, if ever, use with a phone.

Massive hype about them on YouTube!, but the two videos I've seen that do binaural testing have them sounding very thin compared to Sony MX4's and Sennheiser CX (appreciate there's a big price difference with the MX4'S). Not sure how much I can read into those tests though. Have no idea of the sound settings used, only that it was playing a lossless file.

Will you be leaving yours on the HeadID setting, or have you played around with other sound settings or EQ yet? If you've played around, just how customisable is the sound?

Sorry for the questions already as appreciate you've only just got yours. But any feedback when you've played around a bit would be very much appreciated.

Cheers.
Agreed. I had the Liberty 2 pro Plus which is the upgraded version with LDAC support and ambient. The highs were definitely thin and the mids were a bit too weak for my taste. Keep in mind the use the balance armature driver the mids and highs accordingly to one review (can’t remember which one) so that explains why they are rather thin sounding.
HearID was underwhelming for me as the suggested eq was way too bright but it can be used as a base to tweak it even further. The biggest selling point of these and and the previous gens is the level of customization that you can achieve with with the eq which is very responsive.
My Sennheiser CX 400BT have this pretty basic app and and the eq is nowhere near being as good as the Soundcore app.
for $150 I don’t think you can go wrong with them really with all the features that your getting but for me I feel like I prefer the Sennheiser sound signature better.
If you don’t think you need all these features the Sennheiser CX, CX Plus and the (discontinued?) CX 400BT might be better options for you.

Oct 11, 2021 at 5:14 PM Post #38,327 of 62,014
If sound quality is the most important factor, Sennheiser MTW2 are really good. I know LDAC is really good to have, but I wouldn't narrow my selection based on LDAC. From current set of LDAC buds, none of them sound as good as the APTX buds from Sennheiser/B&O.

These MTW2 nearly match the SQ on my UM MEST I had. Bang and Olufsen EQ sound even fuller than MTW2 but they have QC issues imo. Lots of positive feedback on Devialet Geminis here as well. I also tried Edifier Neobuds Pro and they sound good but nowhere near what MTW2 or EQ sound. As for returns, I think it depends on your country but most places allow you 7 to 14 days return at minimum.
Thanks for the suggestions. The MTW2 and Devialet are more than I really want to pay. The Edifiers sound interesting though.

Basically I'm trying to get the best I can on the cheap, which of course is cheating, as generally you get what you pay for. I just don't want to dive into higher prices on wireless, as much as anything, because I'm not sure on the technology and longevity yet. Interesting seeing the QC you and others have mentioned in the B&O's for starters.

I'll take on board your advice about not necessarily getting stuck on codecs too as I do a bit more exploring.
Thanks.

Oct 11, 2021 at 5:25 PM Post #38,328 of 62,014
Agreed. I had the Liberty 2 pro Plus which is the upgraded version with LDAC support and ambient. The highs were definitely thin and the mids were a bit too weak for my taste. Keep in mind the use the balance armature driver the mids and highs accordingly to one review (can’t remember which one) so that explains why they are rather thin sounding.
HearID was underwhelming for me as the suggested eq was way too bright but it can be used as a base to tweak it even further. The biggest selling point of these and and the previous gens is the level of customization that you can achieve with with the eq which is very responsive.
My Sennheiser CX 400BT have this pretty basic app and and the eq is nowhere near being as good as the Soundcore app.
for $150 I don’t think you can go wrong with them really with all the features that your getting but for me I feel like I prefer the Sennheiser sound signature better.
If you don’t think you need all these features the Sennheiser CX, CX Plus and the (discontinued?) CX 400BT might be better options for you.
Thanks for the feedback.

Yes, I saw a couple of reviewers say the HearID gave them an overly bright sound to their ears.

I suppose if I can't find a preset that suits me then at least with the eq being as responsive as you say then I should be able to find something to suit. They won't be for overly serious listening anyway, just out and about and pottering around really, hence the reluctance to spend too much.

Thanks. I'll also have a look again at the Sennheiser's you mention. This is the trouble with internet buying. I don't have any shops locally that I can go in and test different pairs.

Oct 11, 2021 at 6:37 PM Post #38,329 of 62,014
I say this now, but I'm going to stick with the big guns and not the smaller companies on first gen products. That said, I know I'll totally do the opposite! :darthsmile:
Good!! I will let you buy first with your own money before I consider it lol

guinea-pig-viralhog.gif

Oct 11, 2021 at 7:33 PM Post #38,330 of 62,014
Amazon 30-returns, so why not give the L3P a listen? I had the LP2s, but found the treble too hot for my tastes. I am, however, a fan of the Q30 over-ear BT phones from Soundcore. For TW, I'm still stuck on the CA M1+ and so far, the more expensive TW phones I have heard were sold or returned because I prefer the M1+ with foam tips. Call it aging ear syndrome I guess. :darthsmile:

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2021 at 7:41 PM Post #38,331 of 62,014
Oct 11, 2021 at 7:53 PM Post #38,332 of 62,014
So much hype for Soundcore L3P on YouTube but yes the audio samples sound very tinny as compared to Sennheisers so not sure why the reviewers think these are better. I preordered these based on hype. The mic does seem pretty good on these though for phone calls.

i thought the opposite for the mic. Lot of sibilants and nasally. We shall see!

Oct 11, 2021 at 11:27 PM Post #38,333 of 62,014
My L 3 pro have started to talk in a foreign language/Asian accent when I connect/disconnect from a device.

EDIT: Forgot to add it is only in the right bud, the left bud is the normal tones, it sounds like she is saying "leonardo da vinci" 😕

Also at times the controls stop working and only fix is to put them in the charge case and then they are ok again.

Started to read some have sibilance (I had on day one but day 2 for some reason they sound more bassy but still had too much treble (they got a 166MB app update on 10th so could be changes) and some think the Ambient mode weak well it is and TBH there is next to no real different for me from the 3 modes as IMO the ANC is poor.

The plastic part hurts my ears after a while wearing them

The ANC and especially the Ambient Mode (sounded real not like a robot) on the Jlabs air ANC was one of the best I have heard but other issue like comfort or lack of meant they had to go back.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2021 at 6:59 AM Post #38,334 of 62,014
Are the Status Between Pros worth it, according to you who own/have owned it? Just saw somebody selling them for decently cheap (but not super cheap) close to where i'm at and i'm thinking if I should pick them up or if its entirely unnecessary for somebody who owns the Devialet Gemini and MTW2's, lol.

Oct 12, 2021 at 11:54 AM Post #38,335 of 62,014
Are the Status Between Pros worth it, according to you who own/have owned it? Just saw somebody selling them for decently cheap (but not super cheap) close to where i'm at and i'm thinking if I should pick them up or if its entirely unnecessary for somebody who owns the Devialet Gemini and MTW2's, lol.
I own a pair, got them from Indiegogo for $75, the very early bird special. I have them in my ears right now and I have to say, IMHO, they sound fantastic. I have not heard the Gemini or the MTW2s (but I didn't care much for the MTW1, or whatever the first iteration was called).

For the BPs, I use a bit of bass boost via the Kaiser Audio app, playing a mix of genres and formats (FLAC, MP3@320) and I think they sound great. Again, this is just my view, which is reflected by some, not by others. For $75, it's an amazing deal. At their current price of $149, still a decent value, however they don't offer much in the way of customization (no app) and certainly no ANC. I use the largest of the silicone tips and I do have to fiddle with them a bit. They don't need a deep seating, just enough to seal outside sounds, so it can take a bit of finagling. Once in place, they are pretty secure. The main hassle is getting them in and out of the case, but you can master it. The lid feels shaky, for sure, and closes way too easily. Small price for great sound.

I haven't used them for calls, just for walking about or working around the house. Having said all that, can they compete with those $250-$400 TW options? I have had the new Sonys (returned, not worth the MSRP to me), and a bunch of other TWs phones too numerous to mention. I have stayed away from the higher priced TW IEMs because of the battery death issue and I found a sweet spot with the BPs and the Cambridge Audio Melomania 1+ using foam tips (they are $99.95 on Amazon, down from $139 MSRP). Amazon reviews are mixed, but I am on the 5-star side of the fence.

Hope that helps. Can the BPs outperform the type of TW IEMs you mentioned, I don't know. Do I favor them over some higher priced TWs I have heard, yes. Of course, the $75 pricetag can't be ignored.

Of course, curiosity got the best of me and I have the SoundCore L3Ps coming Friday via Amazon. They will have to blow me away to stay put.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2021 at 1:10 PM Post #38,337 of 62,014
Oct 12, 2021 at 1:26 PM Post #38,338 of 62,014
I like the writer of the article. Love when those not in the know write about this stuff.

Like the wire is so they are "harder to lose" and 6mm drivers automatically means they don't offer the best bass performance. :)

I like the idea to have multiple ways to fit and use them. That behind the neck cable is just too long though. Not an actual cable use for when you run out of battery it seems. At least they do aptX adaptive and the custom shields can be fun. No features it seems as far as fast charge, ANC, Ambient or auto pause sensors etc. Better sound good for $170 :)
https://www.v-moda.com/us/en/products/hexamove-pro

Oct 12, 2021 at 1:36 PM Post #38,339 of 62,014
I like the writer of the article. Love when those not in the know write about this stuff.

Like the wire is so they are "harder to lose" and 6mm drivers automatically means they don't offer the best bass performance. :)

I like the idea to have multiple ways to fit and use them. That behind the neck cable is just too long though. Not an actual cable use for when you run out of battery it seems. At least they do aptX adaptive and the custom shields can be fun. No features it seems as far as fast charge, ANC, Ambient or auto pause sensors etc. Better sound good for $170 :)
https://www.v-moda.com/us/en/products/hexamove-pro
I would never use all those extra cables. I like that V-Moda is getting in the game, but without ANC and Transparency Mode, probably a pass for me. I live off those two features. I have to admit, the Sennheiser CX Plus I have really do shine. For $179 you get all the above and more.

Oct 12, 2021 at 2:11 PM Post #38,340 of 62,014
I would never use all those extra cables. I like that V-Moda is getting in the game, but without ANC and Transparency Mode, probably a pass for me. I live off those two features. I have to admit, the Sennheiser CX Plus I have really do shine. For $179 you get all the above and more.
That shape certainly looks like it needs the fins and the hooks could be good for sports and at the gym. I like a leash to just hang the buds around the neck and not have a pod. Cool if you could use the leash and ditch the case at times but 6 hours isn't that long though. Better for 10+ hours to be able to ditch the case.

Another one that is wait and see first time out. The SQ, how well does the touch work with the shields and the scheme. Of course for first timers that don't mention anything about the ever important antenna design, how is the range and stability of the connection?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back