Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Oct 11, 2021 at 10:44 AM Post #38,311 of 62,079
@lethe27 I'd throw the Sennheiser CX Plus in this mix. I have all the above too and LOVE them, but for the price, the new Sennies truly hold up and have zero issues. Pretty impressed with then. I'd like if they wireless charging but for what I paid, they're well worth the price.
I'd hang on a couple weeks or so to see how those new buds by ex-Sennheiser engineer Axel Krell (?) sound, especially at $200.

Oct 11, 2021 at 10:48 AM Post #38,312 of 62,079
Any tips on... well, tips for the Devialet Gemini? I feel like my enjoyment of them is being held back by my tips, I've tried comply foams and they were a no-go, the included tips are OK after some reevaluating but I feel like they somehow lack a bit of clarity with them, especially in the mids! Any suggestions?
I had Spin-fit cp-360s on mine and they sounded good. These might be a good choice given some of the fit issues you've described, because of the way they are designed to bend at the stem.

Oct 11, 2021 at 11:21 AM Post #38,313 of 62,079
I'd hang on a couple weeks or so to see how those new buds by ex-Sennheiser engineer Axel Krell (?) sound, especially at $200.
They look huge though! Could just be the pics on their site and a really small model. For all those interested, even though it's been discussed already: https://grellaudio.com

These days, I'm starting to get wary of buying direct from a manufacturer. Whenever I need to return or RMA, they just take forever to refund or exchange early on. Less hassle to hit Best Buy or Amazon (famous last words). Got the CX Plus at BB for $126 after a coupon and Rewardzone credit. I have 45 days to decide.

Oct 11, 2021 at 11:23 AM Post #38,314 of 62,079
Who ya gonna call? I returned mine ages ago. They just had so many issues, but this was before the many firmware updates. I do recall I loved the sound.
I had the latest firmware but even then they had gremlins. On top of that I found the sound to be too bassy for me no matter what I did. Usually I like some bass but these were too much and I was struggling to figure out the fit. On the flip side I now have the CX 400 and much prefer the sound and they work flawlessly. I miss ambient mode at times but it’s not a deal breaker.

Oct 11, 2021 at 12:11 PM Post #38,315 of 62,079
They look huge though! Could just be the pics on their site and a really small model. For all those interested, even though it's been discussed already: https://grellaudio.com

These days, I'm starting to get wary of buying direct from a manufacturer. Whenever I need to return or RMA, they just take forever to refund or exchange early on. Less hassle to hit Best Buy or Amazon (famous last words). Got the CX Plus at BB for $126 after a coupon and Rewardzone credit. I have 45 days to decide.
Tbh after dealing with the MT, I'm never buying a tws on release. Best to let other people be the Guinea pigs and test on my behalf lol

Oct 11, 2021 at 1:16 PM Post #38,316 of 62,079

Yep they sure do look huge! Sorta like two cast iron skillets slapped on top of some normal size buds. But maybe it's for a reason. Looking forward to seeing how they sound.

Oct 11, 2021 at 1:34 PM Post #38,317 of 62,079
Yep they sure do look huge! Sorta like two cast iron skillets slapped on top of some normal size buds. But maybe it's for a reason. Looking forward to seeing how they sound.
Seems partly for the gesture controls so you can touch and swipe w/o a stem. Need to see how well it works. Early report says it is very like the Senn for sound but the ANC seems to be better. A CX Plus at the $126 is a safer choice and could be the better value and right choice depending on need.

Oct 11, 2021 at 2:43 PM Post #38,318 of 62,079
Tbh after dealing with the MT, I'm never buying a tws on release. Best to let other people be the Guinea pigs and test on my behalf lol
I say this now, but I'm going to stick with the big guns and not the smaller companies on first gen products. That said, I know I'll totally do the opposite! :darthsmile:

Oct 11, 2021 at 2:44 PM Post #38,319 of 62,079
You know, if you can fry and egg on them while listening... I'm ALL IN.

Oct 11, 2021 at 3:07 PM Post #38,320 of 62,079
I've had my L3P's for a day now, and for me, they are better than the L2P's in almost every way.

They are smaller, lighter and more comfortable to wear (I always got some ear fatigue with the L2P's).

The touch controls work well and are pretty configurable

Volume wise, they are slightly (15% ish) louder than the L2P's.

Sound quality wise, they are a good bit better. I'm using LDAC with my HearID profile and am picking up details in songs
I listen to regularly that the L2P's apparently have been muting a little (particularity high hats and symbols in today's material)

The ANC seems to work ok. One thing it does pretty much remove is the 'thud,thud' you get in your ears when running.

The only thing I don't like is the case, the tactile finish on the L2P's case is far better.

Cheers

Macca
I've yet to pull the trigger on a pair of true wireless earbuds. Never used wireless headphones/buds before in fact.

I'm quite interested in making the L3P's my first attempt, as they tick a lot of boxes. Particularly LDAC support and at a sensible price point. I'll be using them with my Sony NW ZX300, although main listening there will still be wired.

My main requirement is sound quality and comfort, then the ANC. Not interested in other features as will rarely, if ever, use with a phone.

Massive hype about them on YouTube!, but the two videos I've seen that do binaural testing have them sounding very thin compared to Sony MX4's and Sennheiser CX (appreciate there's a big price difference with the MX4'S). Not sure how much I can read into those tests though. Have no idea of the sound settings used, only that it was playing a lossless file.

Will you be leaving yours on the HeadID setting, or have you played around with other sound settings or EQ yet? If you've played around, just how customisable is the sound?

Sorry for the questions already as appreciate you've only just got yours. But any feedback when you've played around a bit would be very much appreciated.

Cheers.

Oct 11, 2021 at 3:52 PM Post #38,321 of 62,079
Got my replacement EQ from B&O today. What concerns me a little bit, the SN# was even lower then my original dead one (old SN 33961466), new is 33958xxx.

Positive, the case is flawless this time. Nice sound closing it, snug fit, no overlapping edge.
Positive and nice touch, the warranty got reset to 14. October 2023 - that’s unusual here at least in Switzerland, usually the original warranty runs on.

Negative; it seems the pop/clip is still there even a little bit more prominent then in the last pair or maybe it’s just my imagination.
Won’t bother me too much, as I only hear is (so far) under unusual eq settings.
Also at some point I’ll change color to the anthracite/black version.

What SN# (first 5 numbers) had your broken and replacements?

Oct 11, 2021 at 4:16 PM Post #38,322 of 62,079
I've yet to pull the trigger on a pair of true wireless earbuds. Never used wireless headphones/buds before in fact.

I'm quite interested in making the L3P's my first attempt, as they tick a lot of boxes. Particularly LDAC support and at a sensible price point. I'll be using them with my Sony NW ZX300, although main listening there will still be wired.

My main requirement is sound quality and comfort, then the ANC. Not interested in other features as will rarely, if ever, use with a phone.

Massive hype about them on YouTube!, but the two videos I've seen that do binaural testing have them sounding very thin compared to Sony MX4's and Sennheiser CX (appreciate there's a big price difference with the MX4'S). Not sure how much I can read into those tests though. Have no idea of the sound settings used, only that it was playing a lossless file.

Will you be leaving yours on the HeadID setting, or have you played around with other sound settings or EQ yet? If you've played around, just how customisable is the sound?

Sorry for the questions already as appreciate you've only just got yours. But any feedback when you've played around a bit would be very much appreciated.

Cheers.
So much hype for Soundcore L3P on YouTube but yes the audio samples sound very tinny as compared to Sennheisers so not sure why the reviewers think these are better. I preordered these based on hype. The mic does seem pretty good on these though for phone calls.

Oct 11, 2021 at 4:25 PM Post #38,323 of 62,079
Got my replacement EQ from B&O today. What concerns me a little bit, the SN# was even lower then my original dead one (old SN 33961466), new is 33958xxx.

Positive, the case is flawless this time. Nice sound closing it, snug fit, no overlapping edge.
Positive and nice touch, the warranty got reset to 14. October 2023 - that’s unusual here at least in Switzerland, usually the original warranty runs on.

Negative; it seems the pop/clip is still there even a little bit more prominent then in the last pair or maybe it’s just my imagination.
Won’t bother me too much, as I only hear is (so far) under unusual eq settings.
Also at some point I’ll change color to the anthracite/black version.

What SN# (first 5 numbers) had your broken and replacements?
Hmm. Let me see if I can find mine. I've had 3 different pairs. One from B&O that had the pop/click issue. One (sn34193) from the B&O store that had a right bud charge issue. #3 (sn 34193) is the store replacement and I've had zero issue for weeks.

Found the sn from the store bought ones, can't find the one for the one I bought online yet.

Oct 11, 2021 at 4:44 PM Post #38,324 of 62,079
So much hype for Soundcore L3P on YouTube but yes the audio samples sound very tinny as compared to Sennheisers so not sure why the reviewers think these are better. I preordered these based on hype. The mic does seem pretty good on these though for phone calls.
Regarding the hype. I didn't see many reviews specifically talking about the LDAC support for very long, if at all. That's a bit of a concern.

I've yet to watch a bad review, or read one (one review did only give them 3 stars). I get the feeling though that most reviewers will be listening via their phones on something like Spotify, although the sound tests did specifically use lossless files.

I'll be listening to FLAC 16 and some 24 on my Zx300. Hence the LDAC support pricking my ears up. I accept wireless won't be competing with wired, but I'm wondering if I can get 'decent enough' (whatever that means) sound quality to go with the convenience at that price point? If I can, then I'm all in, as not really too keen in going to the price of the MX4's and equivalent for wireless.

I'm tempted to just go ahead and order a pair too.
Looking at this thread, seems sellers do accept returns on earbuds if you don't get on with them. I was wondering if earbuds have a no returns policy you see, considering they would have been in your ears?, obviously lol.

Oct 11, 2021 at 4:49 PM Post #38,325 of 62,079
Regarding the hype. I didn't see many reviews specifically talking about the LDAC support for very long, if at all. That's a bit of a concern.

I've yet to watch a bad review, or read one (one review did only give them 3 stars). I get the feeling though that most reviewers will be listening via their phones on something like Spotify, although the sound tests did specifically use lossless files.

I'll be listening to FLAC 16 and some 24 on my Zx300. Hence the LDAC support pricking my ears up. I accept wireless won't be competing with wired, but I'm wondering if I can get 'decent enough' (whatever that means) sound quality to go with the convenience at that price point? If I can, then I'm all in, as not really too keen in going to the price of the MX4's and equivalent for wireless.

I'm tempted to just go ahead and order a pair too.
Looking at this thread, seems sellers do accept returns on earbuds if you don't get on with them. I was wondering if earbuds have a no returns policy you see, considering they would have been in your ears?, obviously lol.
If sound quality is the most important factor, Sennheiser MTW2 are really good. I know LDAC is really good to have, but I wouldn't narrow my selection based on LDAC. From current set of LDAC buds, none of them sound as good as the APTX buds from Sennheiser/B&O.

These MTW2 nearly match the SQ on my UM MEST I had. Bang and Olufsen EQ sound even fuller than MTW2 but they have QC issues imo. Lots of positive feedback on Devialet Geminis here as well. I also tried Edifier Neobuds Pro and they sound good but nowhere near what MTW2 or EQ sound. As for returns, I think it depends on your country but most places allow you 7 to 14 days return at minimum.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back