Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Oct 10, 2021 at 12:37 AM Post #38,266 of 62,109
So good news, these connected right to AptxHD on my Pixel despite the fact that the Yamaha literature only lists Aptx Adaptive. As an aside, for anyone looking at cans, these things are pretty cool. The 3D DSP is very effective - similar to the Mobius with multiple DSP Modes and head tracking. I still haven't figured out why I need head tracking or whether I like it but I do like the DSP. It adds some space to stereo music listening and it seems just as effective as spatial audio but without the proprietary nonsense. There is an "Audio Room" setting I really like; I may have a hard time going back to regular 2D stereo after this. Like a lot of ANC headphones, these have a lot of bass - in ways that you can't get out of TWS and which is much thicker than I am used to with my open and closed back planars. I'd love to compare these to the H95 for craps and giggles.
Found this info on aptx.com, which I thought you might find interesting. Yamaha should probably put that on their product page:

https://www.aptx.com/products/yamaha-yh-l700a

"Compatibility

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2021 at 2:56 AM Post #38,267 of 62,109
My Beoplay EQ acting weird already. The volume goes bonkers on its own as if there is a phantom touch to increase/decrease volume on its own while playing music. Also music pauses/plays back on its own. Anyone else have these issues with EQ?

Oct 10, 2021 at 6:31 AM Post #38,268 of 62,109
Anyone having a charge issue with their Devialet Gemini? Driving me nuts. Mine do not charge to 100% unless they are off the charger. And, it's usually the right bud that won't charge all the way. I think there's some sort of battery drain issue happening.
Do you mean the right bud won’t charge all the way while the case is charging? I haven’t noticed that issue, but to be honest I think I often charge my case while buds are in my ears. I’ll try to experiment and report back

Oct 10, 2021 at 7:08 AM Post #38,269 of 62,109
Do you mean the right bud won’t charge all the way while the case is charging? I haven’t noticed that issue, but to be honest I think I often charge my case while buds are in my ears. I’ll try to experiment and report back
My Gemini have a drain issue as well and it's definitely the right bud. I've had several instances where the right bud will be dead even though the case and left bud are 100 percent. I suppose it's time to discuss with support.

Oct 10, 2021 at 7:09 AM Post #38,270 of 62,109
Found this info on aptx.com, which I thought you might find interesting. Yamaha should probably put that on their product page:

https://www.aptx.com/products/yamaha-yh-l700a

"Compatibility
Nice find. I'll bet Yamaha doesn't even know this. We've seen this before in fact. Otherwise why would they push Adaptive over HD in the marketing materials? HD is certainly more available. Edit - probably pushing Adaptive for the low latency rather than HD for SQ. I also blame Qualcomm for this. Too much fragmentation in these chipsets. It's confusing and the messaging isn't very clear.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2021 at 11:09 AM Post #38,271 of 62,109
The waterfall of sound fidelity from high to low seems to be live music, loudspeakers, over ear headphones, IEMs, and then wireless.

Maybe manufacturers just don't think AptX HD vs AptX adaptive is a big enough difference to push to the average user, particularly for wireless in ears, as I bet a huge percentage of users listen to these in noiser (both ambient sound levels and RF interference) environments.

Oct 10, 2021 at 11:15 AM Post #38,272 of 62,109
Yes, the right bud while the case is charging. Then when I leave the buds in the case for a while, unused. The right bud drains. @clerkpalmer nailed it. I bought the warranty for them, so maybe I'll give support a whirl at some point. I had them in the case overnight and the case is at 93 and the buds 100. So odd.

Oct 10, 2021 at 11:25 AM Post #38,273 of 62,109
Yes, the right bud while the case is charging. Then when I leave the buds in the case for a while, unused. The right bud drains. @clerkpalmer nailed it. I bought the warranty for them, so maybe I'll give support a whirl at some point. I had them in the case overnight and the case is at 93 and the buds 100. So odd.
They are pretty responsive as you know. I'm going to reach out and discuss. Problem is it's hard to replicate and of course only happens when I need them to work.

Oct 10, 2021 at 12:28 PM Post #38,274 of 62,109
My Gemini have a drain issue as well and it's definitely the right bud. I've had several instances where the right bud will be dead even though the case and left bud are 100 percent. I suppose it's time to discuss with support.
Mine also have this issue. The right bud is almost at 15% lower battery level than the left one at any given point during my listening.
I haven't had that issue so far though, that the right bud is completely dead, fingers crossed I don't have to deal with that...

Oct 10, 2021 at 12:31 PM Post #38,275 of 62,109
They are pretty responsive as you know. I'm going to reach out and discuss. Problem is it's hard to replicate and of course only happens when I need them to work.
A while back, Devialet suggested this reset process. I tried it and it seems to have resolved the issue today. Who knows! Not holding my breath:

" I invite you to perform the following manipulation:

- Remove and put the earphones one by one in the case.
- Close the case
- Press the button, and in the meantime
- Open/close the case twice in a row
- Release the button

Did the light turn flashing orange and then green for a moment?

If yes, the reset has been well done, and you will be able to put the box in pairing mode again.

Forget in your phone's Bluetooth settings any device linked to Gemini.

Then repair with Gemini L and pair with R.

This should solve the problem you are experiencing."

Oct 10, 2021 at 12:51 PM Post #38,276 of 62,109
Also, to update on my Devialet Gemini experience so far:

After playing around with the EQ a bit and just in general trying to get used to them I've realized something, most of these will be comparisons with the MTW2's that I used as my daily driver before. Also had the Sony XM4's (which I didn't really like much at all) and SoundPeats H1, T2, Earfun Free Pro OE, some LG's, and i've demoed quite a few more, but the comparison will first and foremost be with the MTW2's.

- The sound is excellent when listening to more bass-focused genres like some electronic genres, or actually overall synth/electronic-based production, not only bass-focused genres. The MTW2's sound better when it comes to more acoustic, clean guitar-based and vocal-driven music. That's not to say that it sounds bad with any of these types of music, and it's POSSIBLE that I could EQ them further to closer match the sound that I get from the MTW2's (that's not to say that I want them to sound exactly like the MTW2's either, they have their own set of shortcomings), I've however found an EQ setting that I like for most music so I will try to stay with that for the time being.
I feel like I've had issues finding an EQ that retains the heavy bass but still brings enough clarity for vocals and more organic sounding production without being too harsh in other ways. But I'll keep trying! I love the EQ in comparison to the Senns.

The good:

- The call quality is surprisingly really good, my dad said that he heard me extremely well and that it was probably the best he had heard out of my earbuds that I've owned, only issue being wind, but that's an issue for most if not all earbuds at least to an extent, honestly.

- I like the ambient mode a lot too, it lets in a lot of sound and I can clearly have conversations with people when wearing them, and out of the earbuds I've owned I think it's the closest ones I've had to being able to feel like i'm listening to music from speakers in the background but still being able to hear stuff around me as if I wasn't wearing earbuds. Like it's not 100% and I think there are buds that are better at this than the Gemini's, but it's the best that i've tried.

- I was worried that they would be a pain pairing with my phone even though the previous issues. but they were really simple and fast to set up.

The bad:

- The case size is less than ideal, but I knew this before so i'm not that mad about it, however I find the sliding lid to be quite annoying because it slides open quite a bit by itself!

- I've had some pain in my ears from them so far which is not a thing with the MTW2's, but it could be a question of letting the ears get used to the earbuds.

- The included eartips were not great in my opinion. I don't fare well when it comes to eartips that are too shallow in fit, I need longer tips that give me a deeper fit.

- They're supposed to have wireless charging from what i've read, but I can't seem to get it to charge with my charging pad.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2021 at 1:40 PM Post #38,277 of 62,109
@erockg I also have charging issues with the Geminis. I have reset them in the past but that did not help.
I also still have ear pain with them. But they sound so much better than the XM4… though the XM4 are the most comfortable in my ears.
What would you suggest that sounds like the Geminis but might be more comfortable? NuraTrue? EQ? And how are they in the ambient sound and anc department?

Oct 10, 2021 at 1:57 PM Post #38,278 of 62,109
@erockg I also have charging issues with the Geminis. I have reset them in the past but that did not help.
I also still have ear pain with them. But they sound so much better than the XM4… though the XM4 are the most comfortable in my ears.
What would you suggest that sounds like the Geminis but might be more comfortable? NuraTrue? EQ? And how are they in the ambient sound and anc department?
That's a tough question. I don't think ANYTHING sounds like the Gemini. They are just awesome. My order of preference these days would be: Gemini, EQ, Sennheiser CX Plus, Klipsch T5 ANC, Shure TW2, then of course my AirPods Pro for calls and Spatial Audio. I sold my Nuratrue buds because of fit issues. ANC order: Gemini, Sennheiser, EQ, Klipsch. All of them have good enough ambient sound for my use. AirPods Pro have the best ambient mode. The others are serviceable, but more known for audio quality.

Oct 10, 2021 at 2:02 PM Post #38,279 of 62,109
Mine also have this issue. The right bud is almost at 15% lower battery level than the left one at any given point during my listening.
I haven't had that issue so far though, that the right bud is completely dead, fingers crossed I don't have to deal with that...
I think that’s more a feature than a bug. I start at 100 each and by the time the left one is 20-something % the right side is 10.

https://help.devialet.com/hc/en-us/...buds-is-draining-more-battery-than-the-other-

Oct 10, 2021 at 2:03 PM Post #38,280 of 62,109
That's a tough question. I don't think ANYTHING sounds like the Gemini. They are just awesome. My order of preference these days would be: Gemini, EQ, Sennheiser CX Plus, Klipsch T5 ANC, Shure TW2, then of course my AirPods Pro for calls and Spatial Audio. I sold my Nuratrue buds because of fit issues. ANC order: Gemini, Sennheiser, EQ, Klipsch. All of them have good enough ambient sound for my use. AirPods Pro have the best ambient mode. The others are serviceable, but more known for audio quality.
I hear you.
I can’t use the Aurpods as no matter what tips I tried they don’t stay in my ears.
I use the 85t for calls and car (mute during calls is a huge help). But beyond audiobooks I just can’t use them for music.
I have tried all tips I could think of with the devialet. Right now I’m using the Spiral Dots ++ MS and can listen for about an hour before pain start to mount.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back