Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Oct 9, 2021 at 1:20 PM Post #38,251 of 62,105
FYI that is direct info from Lenovo/Moto staff as I was pissed about it and posted on their forums and it was due to QUALCOMM's confusing info and he had to get back to me on it after asking the engineers if it can be added but the chipset in my phone does not support it.

Your second part is the same situation as mine, my phone does support aptX HD but not aptX Adaptive so no it will never only ever be aptX if your using aptX Adaptive earbuds unless like above they added the addition aptX HD codec like B&W did on the P14's.

I also tried it with 2 USB adapters that support aptX HD and it falls back to aptX.

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2021 at 1:24 PM Post #38,252 of 62,105
FYI that is direct info from Lenovo/Moto staff as I was pissed about it and posted on their forums and it was due to QUALCOMM's confusing info and he had to get back to me on it after asking the engineers if it can be added but the chipset in my phone does not support it.
It's truly bizarre on all levels. All of these codecs are supported in the base android OS so the fact that manufactures are enabling some and not others is really a detriment to consumers. Samsung appears to be disabling HD and Adaptive in favor of their own proprietary codec.

Oct 9, 2021 at 1:26 PM Post #38,253 of 62,105
I was told the phones chipset has to support aptX Adaptive (enabling it in DEV does nothing) like your phone chipset had to support TWS+ or the TWS+ buds fell back to TWS (Master/Slave Mode) but now we have aptX Mirroring so the phones chipset does not matter as it is done on the earbuds.

Oct 9, 2021 at 1:28 PM Post #38,254 of 62,105
I’ve finally gone and gotten myself a pair of Devialet Geminis!

I realized that the included tips are less than great at least for my ears, I realized that when I tried so hard at liking them but felt like I was less than convinced.

What made me realize that they didn’t fit well was that changing the EQ in the app barely changed the sound at all, but then I switched to another set of tips that I have and now the EQ-ing actually makes a difference and can be noticed even if you switch a slider just one step up or down, lol.

im still not convinced that I think these sound better than the MTW2’s to my ears but I’m still getting used to them so I might just change my mind about that later on!

Oct 9, 2021 at 3:12 PM Post #38,255 of 62,105
It's truly bizarre on all levels. All of these codecs are supported in the base android OS so the fact that manufactures are enabling some and not others is really a detriment to consumers. Samsung appears to be disabling HD and Adaptive in favor of their own proprietary codec.
Samsung definitely is and has been for a while. This is why I stopped buying Samsung phones once I started getting into bluetooth. Owned every Galaxy phone from GS3 to GS9 and a Note in between too. Wife still uses the Flip 3 though because she, like most consumers, doesn't care about codecs.

Anyway, once you get your cans, please lef us know what it connects using. I am very curious. I was actually very unhappy that the PI7s did not connect to my Node 2i via aptX HD, which definitely has aptX HD (works fine with other devices like my Aonic 50, ES100 and Qudelix 5K).

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2021 at 5:24 PM Post #38,256 of 62,105
Samsung definitely is and has been for a while. This is why I stopped buying Samsung phones once I started getting into bluetooth. Owned every Galaxy phone from GS3 to GS9 and a Note in between too. Wife still uses the Flip 3 though because she, like most consumers, doesn't care about codecs.

Anyway, once you get your cans, please lef us know what it connects using. I am very curious. I was actually very unhappy that the PI7s did not connect to my Node 2i via aptX HD, which definitely has aptX HD (works fine with other devices like my Aonic 50, ES100 and Qudelix 5K).
So good news, these connected right to AptxHD on my Pixel despite the fact that the Yamaha literature only lists Aptx Adaptive. As an aside, for anyone looking at cans, these things are pretty cool. The 3D DSP is very effective - similar to the Mobius with multiple DSP Modes and head tracking. I still haven't figured out why I need head tracking or whether I like it but I do like the DSP. It adds some space to stereo music listening and it seems just as effective as spatial audio but without the proprietary nonsense. There is an "Audio Room" setting I really like; I may have a hard time going back to regular 2D stereo after this. Like a lot of ANC headphones, these have a lot of bass - in ways that you can't get out of TWS and which is much thicker than I am used to with my open and closed back planars. I'd love to compare these to the H95 for craps and giggles.

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2021 at 5:57 PM Post #38,257 of 62,105

Samsung are scum, all their bluetooth buds have the Samsung Scalable codec, so basically if you want good quality bluetooth Audio with a samsung phone, you need Samsung buds to get it, every day they go more in to apple terretory. the only other company that does this is Huawei, The freebuds pro use the Huawei scalable codec and AAC with non huawei devices.

Oct 9, 2021 at 6:21 PM Post #38,258 of 62,105
Samsung are scum, all their bluetooth buds have the Samsung Scalable codec, so basically if you want good quality bluetooth Audio with a samsung phone, you need Samsung buds to get it, every day they go more in to apple terretory. the only other company that does this is Huawei, The freebuds pro use the Huawei scalable codec and AAC with non huawei devices.
If Samsung is scum then what is Apple?

Oct 9, 2021 at 8:13 PM Post #38,260 of 62,105
So good news, these connected right to AptxHD on my Pixel despite the fact that the Yamaha literature only lists Aptx Adaptive. As an aside, for anyone looking at cans, these things are pretty cool. The 3D DSP is very effective - similar to the Mobius with multiple DSP Modes and head tracking. I still haven't figured out why I need head tracking or whether I like it but I do like the DSP. It adds some space to stereo music listening and it seems just as effective as spatial audio but without the proprietary nonsense. There is an "Audio Room" setting I really like; I may have a hard time going back to regular 2D stereo after this. Like a lot of ANC headphones, these have a lot of bass - in ways that you can't get out of TWS and which is much thicker than I am used to with my open and closed back planars. I'd love to compare these to the H95 for craps and giggles.
That is the same way the PI7 behaves. I think it is backward compatible but the implementation is inconsistent and there are some compatibility issues (such as the issues I had with my Node 2i and PI7s). Glad it worked for you. Actually thinking of grabbing a Pixel next I think since it has aptX HD dual SIM (another thing Samsung cripples in the US), and all the 5G bands I need.

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2021 at 9:19 PM Post #38,261 of 62,105
Anyone having a charge issue with their Devialet Gemini? Driving me nuts. Mine do not charge to 100% unless they are off the charger. And, it's usually the right bud that won't charge all the way. I think there's some sort of battery drain issue happening.

Oct 9, 2021 at 10:09 PM Post #38,262 of 62,105
That is the same way the PI7 behaves. I think it is backward compatible but the implementation is inconsistent and there are some compatibility issues (such as the issues I had with my Node 2i and PI7s). Glad it worked for you. Actually thinking of grabbing a Pixel next I think since it has aptX HD dual SIM (another thing Samsung cripples in the US), and all the 5G bands I need.

I already explained it above, it is not backwards compatible in the way it sounds from QUALCOMM, if your phone does not support aptX Adaptive but does support aptX HD it be aptX using aptx Adaptive buds unless like B&W they add the aptX HD codec also to the ear/headphones.

Oct 9, 2021 at 11:07 PM Post #38,263 of 62,105
I’ve finally gone and gotten myself a pair of Devialet Geminis!

I realized that the included tips are less than great at least for my ears, I realized that when I tried so hard at liking them but felt like I was less than convinced.

What made me realize that they didn’t fit well was that changing the EQ in the app barely changed the sound at all, but then I switched to another set of tips that I have and now the EQ-ing actually makes a difference and can be noticed even if you switch a slider just one step up or down, lol.

im still not convinced that I think these sound better than the MTW2’s to my ears but I’m still getting used to them so I might just change my mind about that later on!

Congrats on the Devialet Geminis!

Although I never tried the Devialet Geminis, I have the CX 400BT which is basically a MTW2 sans the bells and whistles and they sound fantastic and sort of feel like any type of upgrade will be a side-grade to a different flavor but won't technically be better since it's still a TWS after all.

Oct 9, 2021 at 11:58 PM Post #38,264 of 62,105
I already explained it above, it is not backwards compatible in the way it sounds from QUALCOMM, if your phone does not support aptX Adaptive but does support aptX HD it be aptX using aptx Adaptive buds unless like B&W they add the aptX HD codec also to the ear/headphones.
That's fine. I believe you. Doesn't change the fact that it did indeed work out for @clerkpalmer and he is able to enjoy his new cans via aptX HD, which, regardless of how it works, is what is important. I am not going to argue with you as I am not an expert in this subject and am just stating what I observed. If you do not like it, feel free to ignore me.

Back to my music I go.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2021 at 12:06 AM Post #38,265 of 62,105
Get a grip of the attitude It was from Lenovo Engineers, if he can get aptX HD then both items need to support it, that is why I was stuck on aptX on all my recent QC3040 aptX Adaptive earbuds (3 or 5 pairs now).

B&W have both aptX Adaptive and older aptX HD Codecs so I got aptX HD.

People say all kind of crap in here and on YT everyday that is totally wrong.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back