Going fully Wireless IEMs. Too soon? Or are we there yet?
Aug 27, 2021 at 10:21 AM Post #36,676 of 62,025
Nice collection. I am running the Aeon X Closed from Massdrop and love them. Have been thinking about the Open X version as well. I personally find the midfi ($500 ish) the sweet spot for full size cans. Like you, I prefer over ears to IEMs. I can tolerate most TWS because they have a shallow fit. Traditional IEMs with deep fit don't work for me for a variety of reasons. My only question for you is why baby the PI7? They can probably handle workouts and "beater" duty unless it's a fit issue. I've started using the more expensive stuff in all settings because life is short and I'll probably move on from them in 6 months anyway so why bother listening to sub par stuff even for exercise etc. Off track a bit but has anyone seen the new Yamaha ANC headphones? They offer some spatial audio features. I wonder how they might compare to the Aonic, Panda, APM? I'm intrigued but not $500 intrigued.
My wife started complaining about open backs so I have had to stick with closed back for now. The Aeons are great and super comfortable for me. I posted this in the Noire thread last night too but I can literally put them on for hours and just get lost in my music. I like the "mid-fi' price point. Am reserving the higher dollars for my music room I told my wife the next house has to have. Been pretty happy in the sub 1k range in general in this hobby and don't really have the urge to spend more than that for a pair of headphones.

Back to your question:

1. IPX rating - I sweat a lot and am being cautious in case I drop them in water while cleaning the patio or car or watering my garden, which has happened. You are probably right and I am most likely being overly cautious. My MW07 Go are on their last legs anyway (recently had to get a rocket science degree just to reconnect the left and right earbuds).
2. Habit (obviously have had the MW07 Gos for much longer since I bought them at launch) so they have been my workout buds for the last 2 years or so. I also don't mind their more v shaped sound for working out.

The way this tech is advancing, my PI7s will likely replace my MW07 Go as the workout buds in the next year and I will be babying something else.

Aug 27, 2021 at 11:38 AM Post #36,677 of 62,025
Can I say that as much as I love the sound on these Gemini, I’m a little disappointed in battery life? Probably not a deal breaker, but just saying. Are others getting much more than 4 hours out of right bud?

looking forward to comparing to Sony later today/over weekend, then MW08 should be here Monday. The EQ are incredibly tempting
Yup, at least with ANC. I resort to full-size cans for work and have the case on a wireless charging pad most of the day, so I can live with it. But it does make me keep my eye out for a tag-team backup that has the same level of ANC or better (so I can ease away from the full-size), maybe the xm4 when holiday sales hit.

Aug 27, 2021 at 11:44 AM Post #36,678 of 62,025
Yup, at least with ANC. I resort to full-size cans for work and have the case on a wireless charging pad most of the day, so I can live with it. But it does make me keep my eye out for a tag-team backup that has the same level of ANC or better (so I can ease away from the full-size), maybe the xm4 when holiday sales hit.
Understood. Just ran right side to 0…with fall back of the APP or B&W PX

Aug 27, 2021 at 11:59 AM Post #36,679 of 62,025
Got MT in. Can't really get a good seal with the included large tips, though if I hold them in place, I can see the sound is pretty good. I found a few tips I had around that gave me good sound, but nothing I can get to sit in the case on the contacts.

So that's my challenge going forward.

Initial pairing and updating gave me more trouble than I've ever had before with a bluetooth set, but I got past it.

Aug 27, 2021 at 1:24 PM Post #36,681 of 62,025
Got MT in. Can't really get a good seal with the included large tips, though if I hold them in place, I can see the sound is pretty good. I found a few tips I had around that gave me good sound, but nothing I can get to sit in the case on the contacts.

So that's my challenge going forward.

Initial pairing and updating gave me more trouble than I've ever had before with a bluetooth set, but I got past it.
Try the Epro extra large. I just ordered their large version, but noticed in passing that they have extra large too.

Aug 27, 2021 at 1:49 PM Post #36,682 of 62,025
Just got my hands on some SoundPeats H1's, first impressions are honestly very good. If they had an app where you could EQ them I'd think these were RIDONCULOUS value.
First impressions soundwise: Honestly a better first impression than the MTW2's and the XM4's. if we're talking stock sound without any EQ at least.
They lack the tech of either, obviously, but they sound pretty damn good.
Main issue being the bass, there's just... too much of it. It's has dual drivers so the mids still sound very clear despite the bass, but the bass is distracting because it's just a smooth mid-bass bump that's not fast nor punchy, it just simmers around and manages to sound bloated even though it thankfully doesn't bleed into the mids too much. It's still a bit distracting and it can make some bass lines sound less distinguished because you lose a bit of the natural characteristics of it and it can sound a bit one-note because of it.
They're very mid-forward to my ears at least, and I feel like vocals take the center-stage here.

The entire earbud experience could be summed up as "smooth", because the highs are also very inoffensive (too inoffensive in stock tuning). They're there, the clarity is good, but it doesn't sparkle at all.
Soundstage is honestly pretty impressive, above average at least.

I paid around $60 for them, and for that price they're a downright steal! Ironically I wish they would've tuned the bass more like the SoundPeats T2, that happen to have pretty fast bass but sounds pretty 'meh' otherwise. They also support wireless charging which is nice to see at this price. If they ANC and a slightly less boomy bass they'd be a no-brainer for the price.

I've unfortunately heard that the drivers on these tend to give out after awhile so they might not have the best longevity, but I bought them to basically tide me over while I wait for my MTW2's to come back from repairs as I might sell my Sony XM4's soon.

Aug 27, 2021 at 2:36 PM Post #36,683 of 62,025
Some toys have arrived. Gonna keep me busy for the weekend.

Attachments

• DDD929F8-4ACD-4C55-99CA-EA0F9F3570B1.jpeg
    DDD929F8-4ACD-4C55-99CA-EA0F9F3570B1.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
Aug 27, 2021 at 2:45 PM Post #36,684 of 62,025
Can I say that as much as I love the sound on these Gemini, I’m a little disappointed in battery life? Probably not a deal breaker, but just saying. Are others getting much more than 4 hours out of right bud?

looking forward to comparing to Sony later today/over weekend, then MW08 should be here Monday. The EQ are incredibly tempting
These Sony XM4 with Final Type E TWS tips sound pretty damn good!

think I’m in the midst of a firmware update, too.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back